Emerging Issues for SVI Chinook Regulations

Looks like they have posted regs for Area 20 until June18-July15 we are stuck with a slot size .....only hatchery Chinook over 85cm....ugh!

No posting yet it will come on the 17th the day before the weekend just like it has before. I too think they are skewing the numbers so that they can justify zone 1 because that will give them less grief from the FN bands who have been demanding a complete closure.

There has been no announcement from DFO for area 19 & 20 beyond the 17th. They are suggesting zone 1 based on the their funny numbers at the Albion test fishery. But nothing formal until Friday is what we expect. They should expect a flood of calls from our reps if they confirm what they are hinting at.

There has been no announcement from DFO for area 19 & 20 beyond the 17th. They are suggesting zone 1 based on the their funny numbers at the Albion test fishery. But nothing formal until Friday is what we expect. They should expect a flood of calls from our reps if they confirm what they are hinting at.

they aren't picking up calls, it goes direct to voice mail

Amazing how the "recorded" FN take is over 700 and albion can only get 17??? and thats the ones recorded so you can say there would be a tad bit more UNRECORDED all i can say is it very interesting numbers ive been watching area 20 now for the last 2 weeks and most boats ive seen have been 15 to 20 from secretary to sheringham, one day i had otter to sheringham all to myself if you said that would happen 15 years ago I would have bet you the farm people just are not fishing because the scare tactics have put people away .... thats a VAST amount of ocean compared to a river with a net strung across it.....

Perhaps we shouldn't ask this question-But---WHO actually runs Albion? Please tell me it's not somebody under contract who might have a vested interest?

I still dont get this model.
No posting yet it will come on the 17th the day before the weekend just like it has before. I too think they are skewing the numbers so that they can justify zone 1 because that will give them less grief from the FN bands who have been demanding a complete closure.
Perhaps we shouldn't ask this question-But---WHO actually runs Albion? Please tell me it's not somebody under contract who might have a vested interest?
The witch doctor is the boat that always does it. You do have to wonder.

Last edited:
If you wanna see some truly correlating facts with the downfall of the early stock. Look at the catch rates from the FN bands from 2004 on.
Wolf keep in mind those numbers are from Yale down, they don't count what's above that. There is set net openings on the Thompson weekly as well!!!!
Remember these numbers are only what is REPORTED, and they are knowwhere near accurate as to what is actually being netted.

OH i know just want people to be aware we are getting shafted big time been saying this for ohhh 8 years and back then people said no way and im stirring it up well its only got worse and worse since then especially now its legal for FN to sell there fish,
What i do find funny is they are the" keepers of the land" but appears they wont be happy till they have wiped it out...

Yep, that is funny. History speaks volumes. :)

I don't know I think in some ways they are doing a decent job. Unless you think a dilbit spill is in this fisheries interest.

http://www.squamish.net/breaking-ne...der-morgan-court-chief-ian-campbell-comments/

Off topic but we should also be working with them on the Harbour seal issue. Lot's of research coming out with the salish sea study that their predation may account for as much or more than 1/3 of the decline in stocks since the 80s.

The reg anoucement for Areas 19 and 20 is finally out!

No area closure = good, the lobbying efforts have paid off.

Many thanks to SFAB, SVIAC, SFI-BC and all people and businesses who wrote letters, emails, phone calls and send in post cards - it DOES make a difference!

New slot size restrictions, that now include Area 20.4 (Sheringham Point west to Sombrio Point = bad, need to continue to lobby for data based management not political based management. The political influence in how the data from the Albion test fishery is obvious to all!

RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Subject: FN0534-Recreational - Salmon: Chinook - Area 19 and 20 - 2016 Zone 1 Management Actions
Further to FN0523, the Department will be managing fisheries based on management zone 1 (i.e. returns to the Fraser below or equal to 45,000 chinook) for Fraser Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook.

Effective Dates: 00:01 hours June 18 until 23:59 hours July 15, 2016
Waters: Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subareas 20-4 and 20-5

Management Measures: The daily limit is two (2) chinook which must be either wild or hatchery-marked if between 45 and 85 cm or hatchery marked if greater than 85 cm.

The minimum size limit for chinook salmon in these waters is 45 cm.
Variation order 2016-276

Notes:
Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia.
The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.
Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the voluntary Salmon Sport Head Recovery program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped chinook and coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information.

Rockfish Conservation Areas that are currently in effect and are closed to all fin fishing. Descriptions of these closures, and other recreational fishing information, can be found on the Internet at:www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish<http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish>

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at (800) 465-4336.
For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at 1-(866)431-FISH (3474).
For more information: Contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office or visit our website at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Last edited:
Back