Emergency SFAB Meetings About Proposed SRKW Fishing Closures

Fair enough admin.....my sincere apologies to Dave. He is an informative and insightful member whose input is invaluable to the sportsfishing community. We are incredibly lucky to have him as a member of our sportsfishing community. Sports fishermen as a whole should be totally indebted to his insight and intelligence.

Last edited:
“The Legislature passed a supplemental budget Friday that includes $1.5 million for efforts such as increased marine patrols to see that boats keep their distance from the orcas and to boost hatchery production of salmon that the orcas prefer to eat by an additional five million.”

Brovo brovo

One of the major current problems is the Commercial, FN and sportfisherman will never agree or voluntarily cut themselves back when it comes to any of their fisheries.

UUUMMMM area 19 20 and 18 have been doing this for about 8 years now???? we have had a reduction of 100% we take apperantlly by DFO numbers less then 3% where the nets in river from FN takes close to 40 %
math does not lie!!!!!

The problem with the Rec sector is we do voluntarily do that and that’s why we get pushed around where commies don’t. Gotta stop the “show we are conservationists and dfo will respect us and go easy on us” philosophy as that’s BS and STUPID. As it doesn’t work and hasn’t.

g
The problem with the Rec sector is we do voluntarily do that and that’s why we get pushed around where commies don’t. Gotta stop the “show we are conservationists and dfo will respect us and go easy on us” philosophy as that’s BS and STUPID. As it doesn’t work and hasn’t.

suggestions ?

Last edited:

I like how they announce the funding before they even review our position on the matter. You really are trying to make me cry today

They will consult, does not mean they will agree with you.
Does not mean they have not already decided what they are going to do.

I like how they announce the funding before they even review our position on the matter. You really are trying to make me cry today

Must be nice to have a government that actually recognizes the problem and does something positive about it. Shame on our pathetic farce of a fisheries dept. run by political puppets....
Don't pat us on the back too quickly. First off I doubt we'll increase hatchery output, and even if we do it'll be to augment chinook production that we'll never get to fish for. Second off, I think our DFW is closely watching your discussion about chinook closures and may draft off of it, so for god sake please fight hard against it, or you'll have even more frustrated yanks driving the wrong way down your trolling tacks!

fb

Just a reminder that the deadline is today

The Department is seeking your feedback on the proposed measures and key questions in the discussion document emphasized by the green boxes and titled “Questions to Consider” or on other measures for consideration in the 2018/19 Salmon IFMPs. You are requested to provide feedback in writing using the form provided by Thursday March 15th, 2018 to Ashley Dobko at Ashley.Dobko@dfo-mpo.gc.ca.

Doesn't mean they are going to do F all or even address the issue. Just pay some of their favorite cronies to pretend to do something at our expense while Armageddon continues it's path

“The Legislature passed a supplemental budget Friday that includes $1.5 million for efforts such as increased marine patrols to see that boats keep their distance from the orcas and to boost hatchery production of salmon that the orcas prefer to eat by an additional five million.”

Brovo brovo

I can see the next press release from Washington state and CDN dfo..

"Salmon farms being recruited to ranch Chinook Salmon for release into the wild"

If I was a beting man I'd put $$ on it..or if i was in the ff bussiness I'd be all over this

Wow, another expensive unnecessary study when everybody all ready knows most of the answers. What is this $9.1 million dollar study supposed to accomplish? Who conducts these meaningless, never ending, expensive studies and who gets paid the $9.1 million which is not exactly pocket change? Many of the answers are obvious to all of us that are trying to play this one sided game. It is like acing a test when you already have been given the answers.

Wow, another expensive unnecessary study when everybody all ready knows most of the answers. What is this $9.1 million dollar study supposed to accomplish? Who conducts these meaningless, never ending, expensive studies and who gets paid the $9.1 million which is not exactly pocket change? Many of the answers are obvious to all of us that are trying to play this one sided game. It is like acing a test when you already have been given the answers.

So politicians can reference them like below. I received this earlier in the week after writing my MP.

Dear Mr. X,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the potential impact of conservation efforts on sport fishing in BC. I have heard your concerns and wish to share them with the appropriate ministry. I have therefore forwarded your concerns to the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans.

In a recent meeting with UBC whale researcher Dr. Andrew Trites, we discussed the research findings about the role of Chinook catch in Southern Resident Killer Whale (SRKW) population challenges. His conclusion is similar to yours. Our government convened a meeting of experts such as Dr. Trites in a two day Whale Symposium to better understand the research.

I am confident our minister will be making decisions based on the best available scientific findings.

Best regards,

Joyce Murray, MP
Vancouver Quadra

I might be inclined to agree that another study is pointless - there is research a-plenty out there now. If the study does however accomplish one thing, it is $9.1 million well spent...that is this....help our politicians grow a pair so they can have a spine to make some of the difficult decisions. The solutions required to achieve success will need to address an ecosystem wide approach, not just a couple of pet projects.

Back