Emergency SFAB Meetings About Proposed SRKW Fishing Closures

More people, less fish - reality sucks doesn't it?
oldtimer, why don't you take a look at the sport fishing situation in AK & WA? SEAK had a total shutdown for Chinook last August. In WA we will get 8 or so days of Halibut fishing. In SEAk the Halibut slot limits for non-residents are way worse than BC. In Puget Sound we will get about 14 days of Summer Chinook fishing. AK & BC catch about 4 times as many Columbia river Chinook as we in WA are allowed to catch. What needs to be done must be done.

Two wrongs do not make a right. Just because your fisheries are being mismanaged doesn't mean that we have to also continue to mismanage our fisheries? We need to change the way that our fishery is being managed and I understand that this is a lot easier said than done. But, if we don't make some immediate changes than we are going to forever suffer the long term consequences. It is going to take a monumental change in the MO of the DFO to affect any meaningful change. There are many smart people contributing to this important and historic thread and together hopefully they can come up with a plan of action? Just going around in endless circles, like watching water going down a toilet, on these issues, is not going to solve the problem.

Last edited:
Look what has happened just in the past year. We have the Save the Whales controversy in area 18 and other areas, the negative changes to the 2018 halibut regulations, reducing Ling Cod retention from 6 to 4, the decimation of the prawn fishery in area 25 and other areas and the non retention of Yellow Eye in 2018 and I have probably missed something important? To this observer the trend is certainly not going in the right direction, yet how do we go about stopping it before it is too late? Unfortunately it may already be too late?

To me your statements seem to be contradictory.

With the Pacific Salmon Treaty, Alaska, British Columbia, Washington, Oregon & California are collectively mismanaging the treaty. In WA the sport fishers get about 50% of the Halibut quota. My earlier point was that coastwide there are more people fishing for fewer fish & you seemed to be whining about reduced Halibut size, lower Ling Cod limits, save the whales saying these reductions need to stop.

Wazzup dude?

Agree with all of your 7 points below @searun. Well said. We have a LOT of work to do in order to tackle each of these issues, amongst others.

I have to agree, the underlying problem has nothing to do with current government, and more to do with decisions made by the Conservatives. We also have to bear in mind that up until recent times there wasn't a good understanding around why ocean survival was dropping so dramatically. With the research coming out of organizations like the Salish Sea Project and others, its becoming increasingly clear there are some big causes of smolt mortality (predation, pollution, lack of food). The road back will be long and require some very difficult decisions and serious funding.

That said, the politics driving these particular ineffectual management choices (Area Closures & closing rec fishing), are being driven by a political agenda out of Ottawa. They seem to be looking for politically expedient measures that are more about "fire for effect" than actually solving the underlying root causes.

Picking fights with recreational fishers by closing their fisheries down will not address the root cause, and the problem will continue to spiral out of control. Case in point, look at how the Province managed steelhead into extinction. Their sole management measure largely involved increasingly more restrictive controls on rec fishing, as opposed to actually addressing the root causes. Chinook and ergo SRKW will follow the same path if we stick to the "captain obvious" solutions that were used on Steelhead for example.

If Ottawa wants to see change, make the difficult decisions and financial commitment to actions that would make a difference....like:

1. Habitat Restoration
2. Augmentation using leading edge hatchery practices that pair fish to help promote increasing size at age
3. Pinniped control
4. Dramatic reductions in commercial fisheries for herring, krill, crab - all part of Chinook juvenile diet when they first out-migrate into the ocean - stop ocean mining the food chain!
5. Ocean Chinook net pen projects, such as the one in Sooke to provide immediate prey/food for SRKW
6. Implement a 400m bubble zone to create a mobile spatial exclusion area around whales at all times to address physical and acoustic disturbances
7. Force Victoria to clean up their act - stop dumping raw sewage and toxins into the environment - Similarly Vancouver should be developing enhancements to sewage treatment to improve discharge quality

Sorry for the rant, but unless we start thinking outside the box, Chinook and SRKW are doomed.

Last season there was a one man commercial boat with a ling cod licence that was anchored offshore in our area for several weeks. He caught hundreds of ling cod in fact, he probably caught more than all Sporties and the guide boats in our area combined caught, for the whole season. The waters around his boat were also covered with hundreds of Yellow Eye. In fact, it was so bad that even the FN were complaining. I am sure that this type of situation was repeated many times over in other areas along the Coast? So what does the DFO do? As an emergency conservation measure, they penalize the Sporties by reducing the possession limit on Ling Cod from 6 to 4 and now they are closing the retention of Yellow Eye for the 2018 season. For many years the FN in our area have been long lining Halibut and Ling Cod on a year round basis and selling them to the local restaurants. The DFO had known for the past 5 years or so that our local Prawn fishery was in big trouble, but, in 2016 they still allowed 18 prawn boats in our area where the year before there were 8 and I think that this season there were only 4 left by the end of what was the poorest season on record and our prawning is now finished for the next few decades. Many emails were sent to the DFO about these abuses and nothing was ever done. When you have a fisheries related complaint, it is a real challenge to try and find the right DFO person to talk to as the upper echelon of DFO is very well insulated and well protected from the public.

Last edited:
Last season there was a one man commercial boat with a ling cod licence that was anchored offshore in our area for several weeks. He caught hundreds of ling cod in fact, he probably caught more than all Sporties and the guide boats in our area combined caught, for the whole season. The waters around his boat were also covered with hundreds of Yellow Eye. In fact, it was so bad that even the FN were complaining. I am sure that this type of situation was repeated many times over in other areas along the Coast? So what does the DFO do? As an emergency conservation measure, they penalize the Sporties by reducing the possession limit on Ling Cod from 6 to 4 and now they are closing the retention of Yellow Eye for the 2018 season. For many years the FN in our area have been long lining Halibut and Ling Cod on a year round basis and selling them to the local restaurants. The DFO had known for the past 5 years or so that our local Prawn fishery was in big trouble, but, in 2016 they still allowed 18 prawn boats in our area where the year before there were 8 and I think that this season there were only 4 left by the end of what was the poorest season on record and our prawning is now finished for the next few decades. Many emails were sent to the DFO about these abuses and nothing was ever done. When you have a fisheries related complaint, it is a real challenge to try and find the right DFO person to talk to as the upper echelon of DFO is very well insulated and well protected from the public.

Have u attendant your area 25 SFAC meeting? I completely understand your frustration....

Yes we all attend our SFAC meetings but what is the point that you are trying to make here? Our feelings go beyond feeling frustrated. My personal feeling is one of being betrayed. It has come home loud and clear with my dealings with the DFO over the past 40 years that NOBODY AT THE DFO IS LISTENING NOR DO THEY REALLY CARE ABOUT OUR CONCERNS as they have always had and still have their own agenda. Bottom line is that there have been no positive changes to the mess that we find ourselves? I am sure that every SFAC chapter has similar stories to tell?

I try not to state things as fact unless I am sure it is a fact. So this observation is more of a question than a statement.

The more little blurbs I read, I find my self becoming more concerned about the millions of tons of krill being sucked up. Asian fishing machines talking about doubling harvest rates. New super ships that fish and process non stop for months at a time etc.

Also the over fishing of crab translating To a lack of crab larva on a whole.

Also the struggle to re gain kelp after they almost wiped it out mistakenly assuming they could harvest different kelps in the same way. Only to learn that one kelp does not reproduce the same as another.
And yes Herring harvests.

All of which are considered “keystone species”, or habitat for them.

We all scream about not wanting more closures and the need to make more Chinook right away.

So these questions come to my mind anyways.

1: Are the afore mentioned statements accurate? (Enough at least to justify my concerns ?) Is it naive or ideological to feel like things must go far beyond making more fish.

2: If everyone starts pumping Chinook out like mad, Is there enough groceries in the ocean to feed them?

Last edited:
The area that I was referring to where the single ling cod boat was fishing is known as the Strawberry Patch because of all the dead Yellow Eye that are found floating on the surface. This area has been called this name for many years so what does that tell you?

The area that I was referring to where the single ling cod boat was fishing is known as the Strawberry Patch because of all the dead Yellow Eye that are found floating on the surface. This area has been called this name for many years so what does that tell you?

Start a new thread for yellow eye

Over a 2 or 3 year span, there was a mountain of correspondence with the DFO on the subject of the area 25 Prawn fishery which the DFO chose to ignore. How could they allow this to happen? Why would they choose to ignore their own hard data that clearly showed that the fishery was collapsing at the rate of 50% a year and was not sustainable under the current management or lack of management plan? The same thing can be said about the Ling Cod fishery in area 25 where one commercial boat was allowed to take more Ling Cod and kill more Yellow Eye in a single season than all the Sporties and Guide boats combined? Does anyone know how many commercial Ling Cod licences are issued in BC? What the average quota is per licence and the current market value of a Ling Cod licence?

The point that I am trying to make here is to show a couple of examples of the type of unacceptable and incompetent management decisions that the DFO are making not only for area 25 but, for every other area along the coast of BC. Bottom line is they are not getting the job done and we are going to have to change the way our fisheries are being managed if they are to survive. We cannot continue to go down this road.

Here is a chance for lots of mainlanders to attend a meeting and express your opinions on this very important issue. Good on the SFI to set this meeting up!

SPORT FISHING ADVISORY COMMITTEE: SOUTHERN RESIDENT KILLER WHALESSFAC Meeting: 7:00 p.m., March 9 at Bass Pro Shops, Tsawwassen Mills, BC

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) has proposed measures to aid in the recovery of endangered Southern Resident Killer Whales (SRKW). Public comment on those proposals is open until March 15.

Details and documents, including the proposal are found on the SFI website here

You are welcome to attend a special meeting of the Sport Fishing Advisory Committee to learn about the proposal and how measures would effect sport fishing opportunity and recreational boating behaviour around southern Vancouver Island, Georgia Strait and the mouth of the Fraser River. Ed George, Lower Fraser Valley SFAC Chair and BCWF, and Martin Paish, SFAB and Sport Fishing Institute of BC, will provide a presentation on SRKW and the proposed measures. Meeting information sheet

All welcome to attend, ask questions, comment and provide feedback.

Until Next time – tight lines

The SFI Team

Total agree..... So any suggestions ? Yellow eye is clearly and squarely on the shoulders of DFO & Commercial fishers... Short of completely cleaning DFO out and hitting a re set button not sure how u can hold 50 years of mismanage accountable?

Why are worrying about this at all? Ask yourself is posting up fear article by Suzuki's group helping the situation. Honestly look beyond the NGO groups. They are like 5% of our problem right now. Don't look at the 100ft view look down 10,000 feet on bigger picture. More bigger things than what this group is going on about. Its amazing the :"time is running out" slogan really gets people fired up.

I think posting that article is actually important as sports fishermen need to know what the other side is saying. Can’t go into a battle or debate without knowing what the other sides argument is going to be, preparation, or else you’ll just lose (guess you’re just used to that)

Exactly, the NGO’s are inside the room “IN ADVANCE” of the decisions being made, FACT!

We are way behind and trying desperately to keep all the balls in the air.

Living with hope that VOLUNTEERS can save the day as they did in the past. And believe me they did while most of you were to young to care or to preoccupied with life.

ThIs has all changed due to the advent of computers and all that effects.

The rules have changed, time we caught up.

We all better get involved NOW as soon it might be to late.

I think posting that article is actually important as sports fishermen need to know what the other side is saying. Can’t go into a battle or debate without knowing what the other sides argument is going to be, preparation, or else you’ll just lose (guess you’re just used to that)

Back