Emergency SFAB Meetings About Proposed SRKW Fishing Closures

No mention of the massive increase in the sea lion population either. Who by the way seem to be eating quite well. Not much said about fish farms either!

We need lobbyists. All of these ENGO groups pay professionals to get the message out to the right groups in Ottawa. Its not cheap to do, but, its very effective.
Sure, but every time someone steps up, we shoot our own, and nobody seems to ever get involved or put their money where their mouth is. We are a pathetic lot, as we are generally happy to sit back and let someone else stick their necks out.

Fish farms are brought up every single DFO press event.

They have a long line of ENGO groups that are well funded going after them. They also have the First Nations going after them

And you want sports fishermen to have what little lobby power we have to go after them? I already see more stuff on fish farms posted on guides social media page then I do about chinook issues.

There is already many four threads devoted to the two topics as well.

Last edited:
Then that begs the question why look at shutting down only the areas that have been proposed? Even a cow,(not the smartest animal)will move once it’s eaten all the grass close at hand, to a better grazing area. These whales have plenty of chances of picking off the fish before they even get to the proposed closed areas? Why don’t they? Why are these areas so special (other than there proximity to tourist Centers)? I think there’s more to why these specific areas were selected.
I hope your not suggesting lets close everything down...the scientist's don't all agree that Area Closures would be effective at all. That's the reason for selecting a small study area to complete a comparative analysis - these closed areas are part of a study to determine if this strategy even works...why have them everywhere?

I hope your not suggesting lets close everything down...the scientist's don't all agree that Area Closures would be effective at all. That's the reason for selecting a small study area to complete a comparative analysis - these closed areas are part of a study to determine if this strategy even works...why have them everywhere?
I’m suggesting that I find it strange that they selected the area’s they did! I’m not suggesting they close down all areas at all, simply suggesting these area’s aren’t the only option so I question why these areas are so special? I bet you would question the choice if the area you fished was the alternate?

I think it’s fair to question why the bubble approach taken in area 20, was also not the approach taken in the other areas.

I’m suggesting that I find it strange that they selected the area’s they did! I’m not suggesting they close down all areas at all, simply suggesting these area’s aren’t the only option so I question why these areas are so special? I bet you would question the choice if the area you fished was the alternate?
Glad to hear that! You could ask DFO why they picked the areas. I think it has something to do with finding forage habitat areas that have both low use and high use areas either in or adjacent to them. The study needs to complete a comparative analysis in order to assess area closure as an effective tool or not.

I think it’s fair to question why the bubble approach taken in area 20, was also not the approach taken in the other areas.
?? what do you mean...area 20 has closed areas being proposed. The "bubble" strategy is being proposed by us as a more effective alternative to area closures. That said, we are advocating all vessel operators adopt the 400m "bubble" spatial exclusion zone now. Turn off the sounder, stop fishing and slowly leave...no leap frogging to get ahead of whales.

?? what do you mean...area 20 has closed areas being proposed. The "bubble" strategy is being proposed by us as a more effective alternative to area closures. That said, we are advocating all vessel operators adopt the 400m "bubble" spatial exclusion zone now. Turn off the sounder, stop fishing and slowly leave...no leap frogging to get ahead of whales.

Oops sorry I remember what I read in the report it states that only in area 20 an experiment closures are taken place.

The other area closures don’t say experimental.

Sure, but every time someone steps up, we shoot our own, and nobody seems to ever get involved or put their money where their mouth is. We are a pathetic lot, as we are generally happy to sit back and let someone else stick their necks out.

here kittie kittie......:(

Glad to hear that! You could ask DFO why they picked the areas. I think it has something to do with finding forage habitat areas that have both low use and high use areas either in or adjacent to them. The study needs to complete a comparative analysis in order to assess area closure as an effective tool or not.
Yeah, makes sense and I will follow up on that. After all I’ve received some interesting answers from them before.

Oops sorry I remember what I read in the report it states that only in area 20 an experiment closures are taken place.

The other area closures don’t say experimental.

No need to be sorry, just choice of words to describe strategies being employed. The experimental Area Closures are likely what you were thinking about - its where they are running a comparative study. Yes, Area 20 is the only place where they are funding a study. We don't believe Area Closures will be any more effective than an expanded bubble strategy.

Bubble Strategy is what we think is a more effective strategy as it provides a wide protection area around the whales to address the primary impact of physical and acoustic disturbance. DFO is increasing the current bubble from 100 m to 200 m; we think a wider area is more effective because some of the research points to 400 m being the distance where most of the acoustic disturbance from vessels like ours dissipates.

Most rec fishers know from experience anyway that when there are whales nearby there is no point fishing because the salmon high tail it out of there....so the bubble strategy should be one we can work to effectively gain early adoption by rec vessel operators.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe any species that feeds so selectively on a single prey, is not capable of changing its hunting areas has any chance of survival. Why don’t the whales move to any area of more abundance? Surely they would be better feeding in areas with less population and fishing pressure, yet they only are capable of feeding in the area around Victoria and Vancouver? Is it plausible an animal this smart would starve rather than modify its diet?

I can see if the study that claims they rely so heavily on Springs for sustenance was perhaps done during a Spring run. I can also see where all these proposed closures close to Vancouver and Victoria would be good for enticing whales for whale watchers. Sure as hell think there is more politics than science in play here.

Didn't you read profisher's observations from last season? The SRKW hardly ever showed up in the JDF last year because there were no Chinook for them. He noted that the orcas sent a couple small scouting parties into the Strait and as they didn't find anything worthwhile the large pods stayed offshore. Another reason why these area closures are nonsense.

Harper wouldn't have let this happen...

BC gave the libs a majority... say what you want but,,,,,, what did you expect

Ouch.... please don't even mention the name... they butchered the budgets of DFO..... I didn't vote for the libs.....................

Bend over and take it.... or fight...

You have 1.5 years until the next election. Say what you want about the cons, but you would not be here. The libs are about to due unreverable damage. Hold them off for 1.5 years and make them scared.

Then vote with common sense

Remember BC gave the libs a majority. I'm not singling out any one. Just think who has common sense. The land of unicorn dust brought you this mess.

Don't blame SFAB. Blame who helped get Jt in power

I'm not singing out any one. All I am saying is delay these dim whits for 1 year and then kick them to the curb!!

I am no Harper fan. Truly I don't know about mr Shear. He creeps me out. But JT,,, I am sick

Back