Elk Lake Derby

I've never given that much thought since I rarely fish lakes and never a lake derby.

You make a solid point though.

In a put and take fishery like we have on the lower island, it's not as critical, besides the more people we get out participating in our sport, the larger our collective voice.

The rowers on Elk have done way more damage to the "sport" fishery on elk than the derby ever will.

Tyee, I have never heard this? can you be a little more specific? Have you seen the waterskiers and wakeboarders in the summer?Can a derby be worse? thx. I am obviously uninformed in this department!I don't fish this lake it doesn't interest me with the highway ,swimmers itch ,rowers...etc

I do agree with you YOTE that it is a "put and take fishery". However, IMHO, the south island lakes can't sustain hundreds of anglers hitting the lake for a day and bonking fish.

Elk Lake is one of the few lakes left in an urban environment that hold trophy fish. Although the lake is considered large for South VI, it’s not actually that large.

I'm not sure if the Langford Lake Derby is still running but I can remember the damage that this would do to the lake for considerable amounts of time after the derby. These lakes hold a select amount of trophy fish and a derby like this encourages people to BONK trophy fish. I'm not a C&R freak but there is really no reason to BONK a fish in Elk Lake, they taste like $hit.

I think I remember reading that they may have some official weigh boats for the derby to support C&R and that is great. Is this the case?

As for the rowers, well that’s a whole other topic...........

Just my thoughts, however I'm open to new opinions on this.

TT

Well it's not a kill tournament per se but some poeple may still kill if they want.
What TT is attempting to point out, is not the envirnomental effect on the fish (ie rowers, waterskiers, general heavy traffic) but the raised amount of fishing pessure that the lake will see. It's a competitive scenario for a controlled environment (lake vs Sea) and the raised mortality of even carelessly handled and released fish is a concern.
But I think as long as Elk/Beaver only sees this one event in a while, the lake can survive, tho the trophies will take some beating. Look at the fiasco of Quennell lake's Father's Day tournament. The fish are scarce for a few weeks but then it's back to normal.
I too like the idea of promoting fishing as a whole and see the derbies as necessary evils for promotion of the sport. It also gives some people the chance to talk to 'better' anglers and maybe learn quite a few things.

So I hear Steve Sasaki (placed 5th in the BC Open) won the big bass with a 8+lb smallie outta Beaver. Holy cow!
This true?

I saw the picture its a large mouth no question!
I didnt even know we had them here?
Big turn out looked like beachy head on derby day!

Largest Bass went to Steve Sasaki for an 8 lb 7 oz largemouth bass caught and released in Beaver Lake. He caught the fish at 6:30 in 3 feet of water on a Berkley Beast.

Largest trout went to Nelson Karger for a 4 lb 7 oz rainbow trout caught at 6:43 AM on a leech pattern fly in Elk Lake.

Largest trout caught by a junior angler went to Wyyn Toronitz for a 2.9 oz rainbow caught on a Wedding Band and worm.

The best that I could do was a 2 lb 9 oz rainbow caught on a brown maribou muddler fly.

P4140021.jpg

that fish came out of elk lake???

is there a hp restriction there?

As far as I know there isn't a HP restriction but certain areas are resticted if that makes sense. I'm sure its in the regs and the launches have postings I believe.

That fish came out of Beaver lake, attached to Elk via that channel area. There IS HP restriction for Beaver but I have seen big motors in there, just going slow.
I just found out it was the only fish Steve caught all day!

I'm curious as to how long Largemouths have been on the Island?

Anyone know for sure?

I know smallies have been here a long time but I'm thinking Largemouths must have been introduced ilegally and are more recent???

Anyone?

Take care.

Back