EFI Issue?

Gents:

I have a North River with a 5.7 liter EFI inboard. Last time out, cruising on steppe, the engine cuts out completely. Get going and a little later cuts out again, this time to idle instead of completely off. Was on still water so no danger, and no issues for the rest of the day, but obviously need to sort out the issue.

I am thinking some fuel related problem, either with the gas itself (though doubt that) or with how much gas, and at what rate, it is getting injected.

Anyone had to address a similar issue? Ideas on where I start looking?

Don't want this happening in shallow water in a fast river!

Thanks, Rick

Not the cut to idle. But loose connector to the relays on the back of the motor was my cutting out.

It could be the fuel pump starting to go.
you may want to start by putting a fuel pressure guage on it and see what your pressure is while the bog happens then go from there. could also be something in the tank that is intermittently blocking the fuel pickup. or plugged fuel pickup screen. some fuel lines have a one way valve in them that can get stuck in the wrong position. may not be the prob in your case though. just some things to consider...

years ago I had a distributor type ignition on a 350 carbed... it would do the same thing you experienced every so often if someone was cleaning the deck of fishblood, etc... water would run down the engine hatch and onto the coil and short it out and we would bog down and die. as soon as the water would dry up due to engine heat we would be off again. (or we would give the coil a shot of wd40 and be on our way also...)

Could be an ignition module over heating and cutting out. Lots of possible causes. Not going to be easy to isolate the cause. Have get it acting up and start checking thinks. Does it loose spark or fuel? TF

Very unlikely a fuel pump issue. Elec pumps seldom quit while they are running. Very possible it's the fuel pump or ign relay. Check all your grounds first though. I chased a similer problem for weeks thinking it was a computer related problem. Turned out to be an open coil wire.

If you think it's the fuel pump. Get some one with a inductive current clamp and a oscilloscope or graphing multi meter. Too view the fuel pump current wave form worn brushes and armature. Can easily be identified by wave form shape and will cause the pump too stop running sometimes intermittently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, folks. That gives me some ideas to get started…..I too think it isn't going to be an easy one to diagnose….but I will have to do so.

If I figure out what it is precisely I will post for "collective wisdom" purposes.

Rick

Back