Educate me on prawning pls

Max buddy... if you’re back in Bermuda I’d be gettin the hek outa there!!
otherwise possible west coast guesses cause I don’t know.
krill, shrimp,prawn,minnow, assorted small fish. I like to see boomerangs near.

As for bait I use pellets with no additional oils etc, and at the end of the day I dump the soggy bait into an old bait bucket with a very tight fitting lid and save it for next time.....some of that bait has been down 3 times.....just gets stinkier ...and catch per trap with fresh or old bait not noticeable.... anyway just saying

I have a scotty puller EVERY time I pull my 2 bauer traps it bogs down and stops,have to reposition boat and pull again to get the traps off the bottom is this common or is my puller not working properly??

I have a scotty puller EVERY time I pull my 2 bauer traps it bogs down and stops,have to reposition boat and pull again to get the traps off the bottom is this common or is my puller not working properly??
I have the same setup and do not have this problem. I have 8' of chain in each trap and a line weight as well. I usually leave the main motor idling when pulling unless the wind is filling the boat with too much smoke.

Do you know what amperage is going to your puller, flatlander?

i like to pull the slack out of the line and get on top of the traps and pull them up as straight as possible. if you just start pulling away, your traps can be sliding along bottom and snagging etc. pick up your slack by following the line. get on top of the traps and you’ll be fine. especially with bauers.

Could somebody please send me a link to the best knots to tie up the lines to the traps?
I bought the fancy rolls of rope with the sinking line already built into the top and I have the round basket style traps with A1 floats.
Splice the lines. Thats what I do. I splice the sinking line to floating line then I splice eye splices at the ends.

Thanks! This was an old post of mine. It’s been taken care of :)

my plugs are 30 amp
You may wish to check to see that 30amps are actually going to your puller - if you haven't already. I am assuming that 30 amps is the rated current for your puller, as well. As you likely know - when the strain comes on - your puller will need the full amperage. Sometimes the issue is with the battery and/or alternator (inboard) stater (outboard) as Bryan Allen alluded to above wrt the revs on the engine. The outboards stater only puts out like ~6amps - so the battery becomes the temporary reservoir for the spare amps needed while pulling under strain. If the battery isn't up to it - you don't get 30 amps. That's how I understand it, anyways. There's also a rectifier regulator taht regulates amperage charge, as well. That could be not up to snuff. Maybe ask an outboard mechanic or electrician for more details, if you don't get 30 amps under strain.

Last edited:
This is from the ACE site. I would check your wire size and run length. I leave my engine running when pulling traps.

Q. What size fuse should I use?

A. 40 amp fuse or breaker is recommended for the newer model

Q. What size battery should I use?

A. Deep cycle 12 volt battery is recommended

Q. What gauge wire is recommended?

A. 12 gauge wire is recommended for runs less than 15′

10 gauge wire is recommended for runs over 15′

^ note the run lengths quoted are for the full run of the circuit; ie, pos wire length + ground wire length

Back