Easy clean for Thermos

TheBigGuy

Not exactly fishing related, but I'm sure we all use a Thermos for those early morning trips. I was doing some surface prep on the boat with TSP, I was mixing it up in the kitchen. On the counter was a stainless thermos that I never use any more. The thing was so stained up inside, I couldn't even bring myself to use it. Lightbulb goes on, why not try the TSP inside the thermos. I was about ready to chuck the thing in the garbage anyways, so why not try and see what happens. Boiled up a kettle of water, added some TSP swished it around, then topped it up. Wow, almost instantly all the crud started dissolving. I didn't even scrub inside and now it's as shiny as the day I bought it. Nice trick for rejuvinating a nasty looking thermos with no elbow grease required.

If you want the right stuff, go to a place that sells supplies to coffee houses. They have a special powder for cleaning the inside of coffee makers and espresso machines. I can't remember what it is called but ask and I'm sure they will tell you or even sell you a bit if you ask nicely.

I've used it on my thermos and it works wonderfully.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Cow Brand Baking Soda, 1 tablespoon, fill with hot water, let sit overnight. Does a good job on it's own and is benign.
I would use it after the TSP, just to clean out any TSP residue, before using the thermos. Knowing what the tsp did to the thermos, I'd hate to ingest any residue unless I had a good head on the boat.

Most any Denture cleaning tablet will work wonders also. No residue and easy rinse.[^]

Another easy way is to put a spoonfull of dishwasher crystals in there and top up with boiling water. Let sit for a couple hours and rinse well. Better than new.

Another easy way is to put a spoonfull of dishwasher crystals in there and top up with boiling water. Let sit for a couple hours and rinse well. Better than new.

Back