Drum Brake Wash Down Install

casper5280

Crew Member
Just finished installing a brake wash down system on my trailer. I bought a 15 gallon spray tank with a 2.2 GPH and 70 PSI and some 1/2" PVC tubing and micro tubing and spray heads. I went with a different spray head then in the photos as I wasn't happy with the water output. I added a 25 ft hose as well to spray what ever. The whole thing is wired in to my trailer plug.

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 208
Last edited by a moderator:
Some more photos. The first one is so I can flush the kicker if I want.

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 170
Some more photos. The first one is so I can flush the kicker if I want.

Now that's the cat's whiskers! I can see some mods to mine coming right up.

I like that set up alot. Do you have any photos of how you attached the tank to the tongue?

Thanks,
John

I had a piece of starboard laying around and mounted it on that. I mounted the starboard to the trailer by drilling some holes in the checker plate that connects the wish bone on the trailer and tapped the holes so the mounting bolts had something to bolt too, as this area is all boxed in. The tank I bought already had threaded mounting holes in it so I bolted though the starboard and into the tank. The pump is a low pressure pump so as soon as I open the valve the pump kicks in.
Tested it on the weekend, put the boat in the water and opened the valve. Pump comes on, drive away and park truck. Turn the truck off and the pump shuts off. Go fish, come back, shut the value ,start the truck and put the boat on the trailer, open valve, pull out. Put the tie downs on shoot some water on the axle and springs and drive away. A minute or two down the road, I always pull over and double check things anyway turn the valve off and still had about a third of a tank of water left. I figure there is enough water there to flush the kicker or spray the boat down a bit. The way that it works the salt never really has a chance to sit there very long and by the time I pull over and double check things they are flushed really well and by the time I get home they are all flushed and dry.
I took pictures to compare to, when I check the brakes in the spring. I figure the whole thing cost me about $150, if you had to buy everything about maybe $220. Way cheaper then new everything. Got a price on new Disc brakes and it was $2600. Thats what made me think of this set-up. I know discs are way better but for now this will have to do. I installed all new wheel cylinders,bearings and seals, brake fluid, and grease while I was at it. The shoes and drums were still in great shape, so I left them alone. We will see how it all looks in the spring to see if it was worth it.

I had a piece of starboard laying around and mounted it on that. I mounted the starboard to the trailer by drilling some holes in the checker plate that connects the wish bone on the trailer and tapped the holes so the mounting bolts had something to bolt too, as this area is all boxed in. The tank I bought already had threaded mounting holes in it so I bolted though the starboard and into the tank. The pump is a low pressure pump so as soon as I open the valve the pump kicks in.
Tested it on the weekend, put the boat in the water and opened the valve. Pump comes on, drive away and park truck. Turn the truck off and the pump shuts off. Go fish, come back, shut the value ,start the truck and put the boat on the trailer, open valve, pull out. Put the tie downs on shoot some water on the axle and springs and drive away. A minute or two down the road, I always pull over and double check things anyway turn the valve off and still had about a third of a tank of water left. I figure there is enough water there to flush the kicker or spray the boat down a bit. The way that it works the salt never really has a chance to sit there very long and by the time I pull over and double check things they are flushed really well and by the time I get home they are all flushed and dry.
I took pictures to compare to, when I check the brakes in the spring. I figure the whole thing cost me about $150, if you had to buy everything about maybe $220. Way cheaper then new everything. Got a price on new Disc brakes and it was $2600. Thats what made me think of this set-up. I know discs are way better but for now this will have to do. I installed all new wheel cylinders,bearings and seals, brake fluid, and grease while I was at it. The shoes and drums were still in great shape, so I left them alone. We will see how it all looks in the spring to see if it was worth it.

I am sure it will have been worth it. Thanks for posting this great system.

Cheers,
John

Finding that tank/sprayer combo was the key. For a $100. I priced out poly tanks and wash down pumps and it was well over $300-$400. So when I found this I was all over it. Wish I had taken a video of it in action, it puts out quite a bit of water in the drum.

Save your money and switch to Disc

Back