Driving an EV pickup

So does mine, but if the battery is fully charged, or near to it, the engine will come on when I’m “regenerating” to deal with the excess power.
Ford has a few kWh of hidden capacity that isn't visible to the driver, mainly intended to prevent the 0% stuck on roadside situation. But it also comes into play when charged to 100%, as regen braking still works for me on the 500 vert ft descent from my place to valley floor. The display doesn't show 101%, but the range in km won't drop until 4-5 km from home.

Other EV makes handle it differently. Tesla owners report regen braking not available at 100%.

The nerd part of me got the upper hand for a bit, and made a spreadsheet tracking kilometres and energy consumption. It took seven months of ownership to crack $500 spent on running costs. You can see the unit energy consumption swell and recede over the winter. Driving will increase with some warm weather road trips, I'd say I'm tracking to spend ~$1000 for the year.

For comparison, my previous work truck, a Silverado 1500 5.3L crew, under the same driving pattern has a lifetime average gas burn of 14.9 L/100 km. At $1.80/L, that's a running cost of $0.268/km. So a 25,000 km year with two oil changes would cost $7000 at that gas price, you can adjust from there as fuel costs change.

The savings on running costs is equal to half of my year's finance payments.

Last edited:
The nerd part of me got the upper hand for a bit, and made a spreadsheet tracking kilometres and energy consumption. It took seven months of ownership to crack $500 spent on running costs. You can see the unit energy consumption swell and recede over the winter. Driving will increase with some warm weather road trips, I'd say I'm tracking to spend ~$1000 for the year.

For comparison, my previous work truck, a Silverado 1500 5.3L crew, under the same driving pattern has a lifetime average gas burn of 14.9 L/100 km. At $1.80/L, that's a running cost of $0.268/km. So a 25,000 km year with two oil changes would cost $7000 at that gas price, you can adjust from there as fuel costs change.

The savings on running costs is equal to half of my year's finance payments.
Wonder if you will drive more now? But think of all the credit card travel miles you are loosing! As a contractor you likely have a big enough spend still. I had TD visa call centre person credit me for my radar at harbour chandlers she was like “boating that’s travel isn’t it”. Oil changes are time to, dealership or even a quick lube. Nice to skip those.

Wonder if you will drive more now? But think of all the credit card travel miles you are loosing! As a contractor you likely have a big enough spend still. I had TD visa call centre person credit me for my radar at harbour chandlers she was like “boating that’s travel isn’t it”. Oil changes are time to, dealership or even a quick lube. Nice to skip those.
Yeah my commercial fuel depot account is paid by credit card, so I lose 6000 points a year. Building materials gets me way more though, so not a huge loss.

I don't see my driving habits changing much. The same trips to the cabin, ski races and bike races on top of normal business travel. Business driving can change, depending where we're working. Ramps up fast when there's two jobs 15-20 km out in the vineyards, but not in the same direction. Within Penticton city limits though, nothing is more than a 10 minute drive.

... and a recall to fix a problem that could cause accelerator pedal to jam in the flat-out position. Fortunately they've only managed to deliver almost 3500 trucks so far (despite claiming to have over half a million reservations).

I respect Tesla immensely for their engineering and being able to scale from startup to world market leader, but the cyber truck keeps looking like a dud. The design conceits are too numerous for the impressive platform below the bodywork.

Some of it is production, they'll have larger output as 2024 progresses.

Still I haven't seen one yet out in the wild. I saw lots of Rivians on the Whistler trip last week, some Lightnings, but not one CT yet. BC is pretty big for EVs, I should have spotted one by now. Where are they?

I imagine with exchange the high end models they are offering to those first in line are eye wateringly expensive to most canadians. With thr luxury tax, pst and gst what are they costing out the door 170k? Lots of rivians in Victoria, friends have one.

The US is still crazy hungry for luxury vehicles, my buddy ordered a land rover and is going to drive it 10 miles to a broker and going to flip it for 30k usd more than sticker

The high end models are released first, most makers do this to get R&D costs paid for ASAP. The Cyberbeast model is $C 108,000 (dual motor) or $C138,000 (tri motor - performance model). The base model - when it lands - is still $C 83,000. All before tax prices. Eeyowch.

I have seen a few Cyber Trucks in North and West Van (or maybe I have just seen the same one multiple times)

Who knows ?

In other news Tesla just released the Model 3 Performance

500 Hp

0-60 2.9 seconds (sort of)

The dealer in PG is offering 0% financing on Lightning, I didn't look to see if it's actually available or a bait and switch.

The dealer in PG is offering 0% financing on Lightning, I didn't look to see if it's actually available or a bait and switch.
Lots of incentives out there but Ford Canada isn't serving up 0% nationally yet? THey make you punch in your postal code so likely not offering everyone great incentives as they will try and keep prices high in regions with good demand, despite knowing we can get perfect information, especially from a certain car company that has tranparent pricing. https://www.ford.ca/offers/?gnav=header-shop-se

Lots of incentives out there but Ford Canada isn't serving up 0% nationally yet? THey make you punch in your postal code so likely not offering everyone great incentives as they will try and keep prices high in regions with good demand, despite knowing we can get perfect information, especially from a certain car company that has tranparent pricing. https://www.ford.ca/offers/?gnav=header-shop-se
I tried a couple of quick Google searches, Ford doesn't make it easy to see what their lease or finance rates are at national level. Part of the game.

I really don't understand the 0% scam. I was quoted on a new Ram a few years back and it came with 0% financing and the total price was $85k or something. I said "ok I'd actually just like to pay cash". So they came back with a price that was $8k higher. So there is still a financing cost baked in there somewhere. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain that logic.

I really don't understand the 0% scam. I was quoted on a new Ram a few years back and it came with 0% financing and the total price was $85k or something. I said "ok I'd actually just like to pay cash". So they came back with a price that was $8k higher. So there is still a financing cost baked in there somewhere. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain that logic.
My dad bought a Tundra and couldn't pay cash for it unless he traded in a Toyota truck lol. Forced to finance but no penalty to pay it out the next month. I guess it just keeps the Toyota corporation happy that they got someone on their 8% interest rate or whatever it was and then you pay it off and away you go.

"there were eight different kinds of electric vehicles for sale in North America in 2020; this year, there are 53"

My dad bought a Tundra and couldn't pay cash for it unless he traded in a Toyota truck lol. Forced to finance but no penalty to pay it out the next month. I guess it just keeps the Toyota corporation happy that they got someone on their 8% interest rate or whatever it was and then you pay it off and away you go.
Hyundai in Victoria tries to force a six month financing program on you. Refuses to take cash? That was one reason I moved on from them.

Back