Driving an EV pickup

This comparison of the rivian vs trx dodge starts pretty funny

Seeing several solar installs in my hood happening, might be a bit of stampede for ev and solar subsidy purchases before the libs get the boot and cons cancel.

@sly_karma are you considering the solar instal or have you already done one already? I’m about 17 years into my shingle roof on hesitant to pull the trigger besides the $.

This comparison of the rivian vs trx dodge starts pretty funny

Seeing several solar installs in my hood happening, might be a bit of stampede for ev and solar subsidy purchases before the libs get the boot and cons cancel.

@sly_karma are you considering the solar instal or have you already done one already? I’m about 17 years into my shingle roof on hesitant to pull the trigger besides the $.
Video is hilarious!

My roof is all wrong for solar. Ridge aligns north-south, and the west facing side has skylights and all the plumbing and HVAC vents. Could fit maybe 8 panels at best. I could fill the back yard with panels, but that would get a big veto from Mrs Sly.

@kaelc Best thing for you is to get an assessment of your home's suitability for solar. Outfits that do a lot of solar offer free/low cost assessment including a site visit with drone flyover. You provide them with a year's worth of electricity bills and they'll give a pretty accurate projection of savings and payback period.

On top of dollar savings, solar potentially offers a measure of independence from the grid and the what-ifs that are flying around about our province's ability to provide reliable grid power as climate change continues to kick the crap out of our infrastructure and population grows rapidly.

Projects with better outcomes for my place are replacing the old AC unit with a heat pump, and a full exterior refit: new windows, added insulation and new siding - better building envelope needs less energy in the first place.

The heat pump is happening this spring; the AC unit was original equipment on the house built in 1986, so we've had our money's worth. I'm sorting through the various rebates, grants and interest free loan programs, a lot of detail to process. Our gas furnace is 6 years old, so I'll keep that in place as a backup unit to avoid the extra cost of a cold climate heat pump.

Interesting you mention this; I had a solar assessment done 3 years ago - despite my sonewhat shady spot they figured an 8kW system would reduce my hydro bill by up to 40% yearly (we have everything electric, incl. heating). Thought about it for a while, took the plunge and voila the first two years I reduced my hydro bill by just over 50%. Then I added a heat pump which further shaved off some but then added an EV which added of course. But now I am driving on sunshine, just as Katrina and the Waves sang 40 yesrs ago. If I can make solar work in my location then most house owners can too. Shame to waste free energy beaming down on us every day. Prices have come down further since I bought the solar system. I figure it will pay for itself in 4-6 years.

If anyone needs a great Solar guy in the Cokanagan, try Solos. They did my last net Zero house. Great group of guys. They came down from Kelowna and did a fantastic job. [Name] Maarten - Solos Energy
[Mobile] +1 250-258-8344
[Home] info@solosenergy.ca

Eh meh, I like eating halibut but fishing for them is pretty tepid. And right now there are ski races to time, project boats to dream of, and a trip to Mexico in the offing.

I wasn't thinking when I posted and I apologize for my off thread post. I wan't thinking. I am deleting mine and perhaps anyone who replied could delete thier response we could clean the tread up

I wasn't thinking when I posted and I apologize for my off thread post. I wan't thinking. I am deleting mine and perhaps anyone who replied could delete thier response we could clean the tread up
Come on, there'll be none of that. We only make the crazies delete their insanity when it pukes onto the page. This is reasonable discourse, and should be encouraged.

Hey, missing the updates even though I will likely never own an electric vehicle.

I've matured in my outlook and almost never look at the GOM now. Instead I use the Calm Screen view, which just shows battery % with remaining range in smaller font. For me, the GOM shows these crazy swings in range because it's based on what you've been doing lately, which in my case is going up and down to Apex, and the 500 ft climb to my house every afternoon.

The GOM makes it look as if you've used 130 km of range to drive up to Apex, but it's only 36 km actual distance. Looking at battery % shows I use 23-25% of battery going up, and recover 3-4% coming down, for a net use of 20%. If you believe the GOM, you'd think you've used 40% of battery capacity.

The core principle here is that the battery stores kWh, not kilometres. We all understand this with our ICE vehicles, we put litres in the tank, not kilometres. We look at the gas gauge occasionally, but how often do we view the "Distance To Empty" display that most vehicles have? Me? Only when the low fuel alarm went off. I realised the GOM is the EV equivalent of the DTE in a gas vehicle. Why was I looking at that all the time?

@sly_karma I would be curious to know if Tesla opening up their charging stations to Ford vehicles now in Canada and USA will help your 'on the go' or 'road trip' or 'towing' situations for your usage. I see today they opened it up, and I'm curious if the chargers are located in places that will be helpful for you with respect to planning / range anxiety etc? Will it change your usage / comfort? Or not really? Thanks.

Some info here;

@sly_karma I would be curious to know if Tesla opening up their charging stations to Ford vehicles now in Canada and USA will help your 'on the go' or 'road trip' or 'towing' situations for your usage. I see today they opened it up, and I'm curious if the chargers are located in places that will be helpful for you with respect to planning / range anxiety etc? Will it change your usage / comfort? Or not really? Thanks.

Some info here;

Tesla has the worst charging station for towing in Victoria, at the underground in Uptown. I guess you could drop your trailer with your buddy at Saanich plaza by Timmie’s and close to the cop shop, with your buddy watching it and go charge. Hopefully they have installed or will install some new ones? So many electrics in this town. My daughter has a friend parents have a ranger tug and a Rivean but I told them about commercial towing services if they want to explore the west coast/north island. I think they have a 27 or 29 so doubtful any current electric could tow it with a full wet load for rivers or desolation.

Some info here;

I just ordered my free adapter from Ford. Took a few tries, the website is swamped by demand. No idea when it'll get here, but whatever. I've been fine without it so far.

Next I need the software update that enables Mick on the Tesla network. I see on the socials that has begun to roll out, presumably MY2022 owners receive it first (that is how it has gone so far).

It will be nice to have more options when on the highway, but very few Tesla locations I've seen have pull-through chargers that are boat friendly. Teslas all have the charge port in the left rear corner, and the earlier chargers have a cable just long enough to reach. This is a problem for many non Tesla EVs, ports in other locations mean sometimes the cable doesn't reach without some creative parking. Lightning isn't too bad, port is forward of the driver's side mirror. V3 and V4 Superchargers have somewhat longer cables and higher charge speeds, so they're preferred.

Screenshot_20240229_085550_Gmail.jpg

My daughter has a friend parents have a ranger tug and a Rivean but I told them about commercial towing services if they want to explore the west coast/north island. I think they have a 27 or 29 so doubtful any current electric could tow it with a full wet load for rivers or desolation.
Would you highway tow a 27 or 29 with a half ton? Wouldn't it be at or around the 10,000 lb tow capacity typical for that class of truck?

Would you highway tow a 27 or 29 with a half ton? Wouldn't it be at or around the 10,000 lb tow capacity typical for that class of truck?
https://www.rangertugs.com/models/model-category/r-27/ I had to look it up, but 7,700 lb dry weight for 27. Add a trailer 200 gallons of gas and water at 1800lb and a well-built trailer, and we are well over 10k without adding downriggers/kicker/beer/cooler/ice/cannoballs/tacos. Fine for flat towing, ok for dry towing but Malahat/Cut/Kennedy hill should be avoided? 25/26 feet seems to be the cut-off for most half-tons?

Acccording to Auto Trader this morning there are 74 new 2014 F-150 Lightnings in stock in BC. There are also 307 new 2023's in inventory.

Total number of new unsolds F 150 Lightnings (2022-2024) across Canada is 1,267 . At some point one might expect to see price reductions either by Ford or the dealership.

Island Ford is offerring $9,000 in Dealer Discounts, but it seems that these discounts are the Federal and Provincial EV grants and not really Dealer Discounts.

1709256609588.png

The Dealer Discounts appear to be the applicable federal zero-emission vehicles incentive (iZEV), and CleanBC Go electric vehicle rebate program which could be as much as $9,000.00.​

Acccording to Auto Trader this morning there are 74 new 2014 F-150 Lightnings in stock in BC. There are also 307 new 2023's in inventory.

Total number of new unsolds F 150 Lightnings (2022-2024) across Canada is 1,267 . At some point one might expect to see price reductions either by Ford or the dealership.

Island Ford is offerring $9,000 in Dealer Discounts, but it seems that these discounts are the Federal and Provincial EV grants and not really Dealer Discounts.

View attachment 103724

The Dealer Discounts appear to be the applicable federal zero-emission vehicles incentive (iZEV), and CleanBC Go electric vehicle rebate program which could be as much as $9,000.00.​

Might be worth emailing 10 dealers at the end of the month next month with the model you want and seeing what they will do? I don't think it's like a used car at a used dealer where they finance things but month end is usually motivating for sales managers. Couple of YouTubers watch the total months of inventory in the US and feel like Stalantis needs to start discounting. Until fords new lightening plant comes online not sure if they have the right incentives to drop pricing? When is their financial reporting quarterly and annually?

Might be worth emailing 10 dealers at the end of the month next month with the model you want and seeing what they will do? I don't think it's like a used car at a used dealer where they finance things but month end is usually motivating for sales managers. Couple of YouTubers watch the total months of inventory in the US and feel like Stalantis needs to start discounting. Until fords new lightening plant comes online not sure if they have the right incentives to drop pricing? When is their financial reporting quarterly and annually?

I don't remember the timing of earnings , but growing up in Oshawa and still being in touch with a lot of my pals back there I know things are hurting at the car manufacturers .

I still think the market will adjust. I have been spreadsheeting a set of used cars /trucks since last July . Few have sold, and dealers are dropping prices then taking the car off auto trader and putting it back on at the old higher price and repeating the whole price dropping again and again.

In the early 1980's I had clients who were car dealers and it was high interest rates that shut down the economy/car business. Many back east dealers went out of business.

This time it seems to be the daily increases in the cost of simply living that is all incompassing. Now that I am retired and doing more of the shopping I am shocked at how food prices continue to escalate every week . The Meat on Sale thread on here is a fantastic cost saver

It is interesting how many folks who can easily afford a cash purchase of a very nice new car or truck, have decided to wait a while longer before they buy because they feel that new car prices will at some point in the next 6-18 month drop significantly.

Their actions, because lots of folks are doing this will likely be a contributor to the eventual price decline in cars.

Back