Driving an EV pickup

Lightening leads the way, cybertruck sales page still has no pricing or options listed as of this morning. Hopefully Ford can work with suppliers to bring costs down.

Still a mild winter for real world EV driving right now.

@sly_karma when are you adding tesla solar to the thread?
"Right now, Rivian appears to be the market leader—with 14,374 R1Ts delivered during the first three quarters of 2023, it beat Ford's cheaper F-150 by more than 2,000 units."

According to arstechnica.com

Just sayin' ;)

Lightening leads the way, cybertruck sales page still has no pricing or options listed as of this morning. Hopefully Ford can work with suppliers to bring costs down.

Still a mild winter for real world EV driving right now.

@sly_karma when are you adding tesla solar to the thread?
Ford already has the price down to same as EcoBoost, on the standard range anyway. Once you add the optional equipment to the gas XLT that comes standard on Lightning XLT, they cost the same. Some will point out that Lightning SR only has a range of 390 km while EcoBoost has about double that, but then EcoBoost doesn't have 480 hp/775 ft lb, Or a huge frunk with power outlets.

Ford already has the price down to same as EcoBoost, on the standard range anyway. Once you add the optional equipment to the gas XLT that comes standard on Lightning XLT, they cost the same. Some will point out that Lightning SR only has a range of 390 km while EcoBoost has about double that, but then EcoBoost doesn't have 480 hp/775 ft lb, Or a huge frunk with power outlets.
Thanks for this thread, it's great to hear about real world living with a Lightning.

While I'd love one for around town, and it would easily launch my old Larson, even at this $$ level it's too steep for me these days. (Notice I said launch the Larson, as it's in the garage at the Cabin (at Paul Lake) and gets into the water there for 3 or 4 weeks a year total.

My son, who's a partner in a small two man HVAC company could certainly use one for his business, as it's all Metro Vancouver. It would be perfect running around town during the day, picking up equipment at RSL (where my other son works!) and then charging up at night. Your operating costs are impressive.

Thanks for this thread, it's great to hear about real world living with a Lightning.

While I'd love one for around town, and it would easily launch my old Larson, even at this $$ level it's too steep for me these days. (Notice I said launch the Larson, as it's in the garage at the Cabin (at Paul Lake) and gets into the water there for 3 or 4 weeks a year total.

My son, who's a partner in a small two man HVAC company could certainly use one for his business, as it's all Metro Vancouver. It would be perfect running around town during the day, picking up equipment at RSL (where my other son works!) and then charging up at night. Your operating costs are impressive.
Just think how many half tons are driving around our towns and cities doing this type of duty. Lots of my construction projects are 20-30 km from town where all the suppliers are, not uncommon for us to have 2 jobs in opposite directions too. I'll knock up 500 km/week for a month or two when that condition exists. Same could go for many other builders and subtrades, lots of truckloads of materials and short haul trailering but it sure adds up to a lot of gas. These trucks could all be moved to electric over a few years, and the running cost savings would largely pay for it over 10-15 years of ownership (would vary with gas prices and annual km driven).

Do all trucks cost too much these days? Absolutely. Do they need all the goodies like steerable headlights, rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruise, etc? Well no, but the lowest spec work truck trim levels are sort of available without that stuff - but go see if you can find one on a lot, gas or electric.

Yeah it's a different world now, 99% of the time I use the accelerator pedal only, regen does almost all the deceleration.
One of my friends with the Ioniq 5, took me for a ride shortly after he bought it after a 18 month wait for delivery. His and his wife both loved it and I must say it was pretty impressive with all the bells and whistles, amount of power and quiet ride. He was explaining to me how the regen braking worked and that he very seldom used the brake. About a week after that he called and said his wife had an unfortunate incident while pulling into a parking lot. Apparently while pulling into the parking spot at slow speed, when she was ready to stop she nailed the accelerator and went up over the curb and into another car. Her foot was hovering over the accelerator pedal because that was what she was getting use to doing with the regen braking. He told met that he almost took a wall in his garage the first week he owned it because of the same thing. Obviously this can and has happen with ICE vehicles when stepping on the wrong pedal but just a few little quirks to get use to with the EVs.

Screenshot_20231227_160829_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'd bet it's sold and they are fishing for future sales but it's the first PRO I've seen "available" on the Isl. I prefer the esthetic as it's a bit more normal 150 than the other lightning models. Prefer the price too. Not the base model trim they used to be (exclude the manual seats).
I still find it strange to have a tradesman truck with a half a box. I guess that'll be a second Gen when you can at the very least get a Standard box.

View attachment 101168

I'd bet it's sold and they are fishing for future sales but it's the first PRO I've seen "available" on the Isl. I prefer the esthetic as it's a bit more normal 150 than the other lightning models. Prefer the price too. Not the base model trim they used to be (exclude the manual seats).
I still find it strange to have a tradesman truck with a half a box. I guess that'll be a second Gen when you can at the very least get a Standard box.
Yes when the full skateboard platform T3 line comes out, Ford will be able to offer most of the various cab/box combos the gas F150s have now, and I would think a couple of SUV models too.

I've always had 8 ft of 6ft8 box trucks for work, and wasn't excited about the Lightning 5ft6 box, but I must say the frunk does make up for some of that cargo loss. Mixed loads of lumber and tools lend themselves to this nicely, and everything in the frunk is sealed from weather.

The power of regenerative braking: descending from Apex to Penticton.

In the village. Not sure why the trip display still has the distance and time of the drive up the mountain showing.

20231227_165524.jpg

20231227_172630.jpg

In Penticton. 31 km driven, but GAINED 8 km of range.

The power of regenerative braking: descending from Apex to Penticton.

In the village. Not sure why the trip display still has the distance and time of the drive up the mountain showing.

View attachment 101172

View attachment 101173

In Penticton. 31 km driven, but GAINED 8 km of range
Nice win compared to an exhaust brake on a diesel. T3? When does the Terminator 4 come out hopefully it will be the 3/4 and 1 ton platform?

Back