Driving an EV pickup

I had the good luck up tracking down a 4.3l engine from a wrecker for my chev 1500 during a weekend trip to Kelowna that turned in to a weeklong one. Still look at chev’s and gas engines but hopeful that qc/qa will get better with EV’s. I’m sure supply chain and banning US engineers from visiting china are key to tons of failures from EV’s to fridges to TV’s.

10tkm on my Lightning at work now. Still loving it, no major issues. Best truck I ever had. Love the space and storage. Working the truck hard, incl. towing, gravel roads, offroad.... The only issue I had so far is that somehow the standard rims invite small rocks to jam into the brakes to make a nasty noise. Happened twice already and I will try different rims soon.

Another person’s experience with a Ford Lightning 150. Appears to be a different finish level than the OP’s.

Seems like a poor plan to buy a 111k pickup and cheap out on a home charger If I’m reading this right. Personally if I was doing it the home charger would be more important than trim level if I could only have one.

I got to 30000km today. Zero issues. Zero range anxiety. Charging stations are popping up all over the place for good peace of mind. I’ve actually yet to charge away from my home unless it’s been planned. Ford app will even give me a reminder to plug in at home if the range is getting low.

Im all in on this electric wave.

Anyone watch Munro Live? He did an interesting interview with Cybertruck engineers and it made me think wow, I think a Lightening might be a good idea until all the bugs get worked out on the cybertruck but good on them adopting 48v and gigabit ethernet. Made me think of the 36v trolling motors and what the future holds for boating. https://insideevs.com/news/699798/tesla-shares-cybertruck-48v-architecture/

Last edited:
Seems like a poor plan to buy a 111k pickup and cheap out on a home charger If I’m reading this right. Personally if I was doing it the home charger would be more important than trim level if I could only have one.
As I read it he was just test driving a Lightning for a week or so, hence why no L2 charger at home. His comments about the speed and quiet take me back to when I first got mine. I didn't turn on the stereo for several days, just listened to the silence. But kept it on cruise control even in town, to prevent getting a speeding ticket. Lol.

Not uncommon to hear concerns voiced about being stuck in a multi hour winter road closure in an EV. People know their ICE produces cabin heat from a controlled gasoline fire, they're confident they have a heat source, whereas EVs are new and don't carry a tank of liquid fuel.

EVs have a heat source too, of course, the drive battery can power a heat pump or resistance coil to produce warm air in the cabin, and there are also heated seats. How long could it last? The answer will vary a lot according to outside temperature and the efficiency of the particular vehicle, but most of all on how much charge the car had when the stoppage started - same as the importance of keeping a healthy gas tank level in winter.

Here's one person's unscientific test - in a Mach e rather than a Lightning - but it gives a reasonable preview. If you find it a bit wordy, scroll down to the summary at the end. TL;DR: used 25% of battery for 12 hours of keeping warm and radio use in below freezing conditions.

Last edited:
How impressive is it when you give it the full launch from a standing start?

Have you seen the recent drag strip videos of the Cybertruck clobbering any other truck or SUV that has an electric motor? A racing site was playing around with depictions, and tied the shape of the vehicle into this:

412637350_765777635592770_6374306068104533249_n.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3317.jpeg
    IMG_3317.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 23
Round 2.

This thread has been really good at staying on track, but is starting to wander into the big debate about climate change and other related commentary, which is a no win debate and not what the OP intended this thread to be about. Here is the first post, which acknowledges that.

This thread is going to be about owning, driving and USING an electric truck. No EVangelising, just an honest appraisal of a type of vehicle both new and familiar to most of us. If it does stuff I don't like, I'll say so. Promise.

How impressive is it when you give it the full launch from a standing start?

Have you seen the recent drag strip videos of the Cybertruck clobbering any other truck or SUV that has an electric motor? A racing site was playing around with depictions, and tied the shape of the vehicle into this:

View attachment 100924
It's like a hand on your chest pushing you back into your seat, hard. I've done exactly one full launch in Sport mode, that was crazy quick. And otherworldly quiet and smooth. No vibration, no shifting, no waitong for turbo to spin up.

Faster than anything I've piloted since I raced Superbikes back in the 80s. So different to that, not sure if actually Faster or not.

Is there an apps store on the Ford Lightening? Be nice to check windy as you are waiting to launch.

I heard the possibility that a certain app might get banned from the Apple App Store for platforming Alex Jones. There is a special place for people who spit in the face of parents who have lost children.

Lightning has support for Android Auto, any app on my phone can be put on the truck's screen. Can watch YouTube while charging if so desired; I prefer to go for a walk, get coffee etc.

Ok I remembered to take pic this time. Highway driving, 80-110 km/h speeds. Temps 5-6°C. The trip energy monitor says 11% of battery use went to things other than forward motion. Can be viewed while driving if you want to see the effect of turning climate control on/off etc.

The 1% per degree below 20°C rule seems about right, at least in the single digit temps area. Whether this trend continues in linear manner right down to -20°C and beyond remains to be seen. That would mean just 50% of normal range at -30. Although the way this winter is going so far, might not get near those temps!

20231221_180101.jpg

This looks like a major issue where a small scratch and dent in the floor pan so small it is hard to notice can write off a new EV car. Having spent a fair bit of time in the bush in trucks, especially the 4x4 type, I know they take a licking and trucks are often not bought to just drive around on flat paved roads. I hope they are designing and armoring the hell out of them to protect the battery.

Last edited:

This looks like a major issue where a small scratch and dent in the floor pan so small it is hard to notice can write off a new EV car. Having spent a fair bit of time in the bush in trucks, especially the 4x4 type, I know they take a licking and trucks are often not bought to just drive around on flat paved roads. I hope they are designing and armoring the hell out of them to protect the battery.
I’ve heard of this issue a few times now. In each case the car was a Hyundai.

Ok I remembered to take pic this time. Highway driving, 80-110 km/h speeds. Temps 5-6°C. The trip energy monitor says 11% of battery use went to things other than forward motion. Can be viewed while driving if you want to see the effect of turning climate control on/off etc.

The 1% per degree below 20°C rule seems about right, at least in the single digit temps area. Whether this trend continues in linear manner right down to -20°C and beyond remains to be seen. That would mean just 50% of normal range at -30. Although the way this winter is going so far, might not get near those temps!

View attachment 100948
I had been searching for info on battery life when outside temps are in the -20 to -40C range. I was only interested because of the number of years I spent in Fort Mac where you could have many days at those temps. Only thing I could find that was related was complaints about the lack of charging stations on the busy highway from Fort Mac to Edmonton which is a 4 to 4-1/2 run. Obviously with the recent announcements, there will have to be a focused effort to start building the required infrastructure.

I can't see the article, paywalled. Was it a Tesla or Hyundai? Those two makers like to build unit batteries where repair or replacement of individual modules isn't possible. Some Tesla models use the battery as a structural element, so damage to the external load bearing skin can turn seemingly minor damage into full replacement.

Lightning battery sits between the frame rails, and it's a collection of modules wired together, allows for individual replacement.

Back