Driving an EV pickup

Couldn’t they use the current gas stations and just put hydrogen tanks there? I have no idea how it would be stored but that’s my assumption anyway. Because there already is infrastructure in place in regards to locations, and space for multiple vehicles at once etc.
There are a few gas stations that carry hydrogen. Mainly shell stations I believe.

Efficiency is poor with hydrogen too. Only about a third of the energy used in the production chain actually turns the wheels of the vehicle - same as with FF. Seeing as how we are challenged to make enough renewable energy to replace existing FF vehicles, does it make sense to adopt a system that needs three times more?

Anyway, as far as mainstream passenger vehicles are concerned, the hydrogen debate is settled. Battery electric (BEV) is where the automotive industry has invested, roughly $800 Billion US to date. This is at least four times more than invested in H2, and most has been in the past 4 hears. Massive industry shift to put its weight behind EV.

The key reason why makers passed on H2 is the cost of establishing a complete H2 ecosystem. H2 needs massive clean energy generation, world scale H2 production, storage, specialized distribution and retail. Much of the technology required hasnt yet been developed for large scale use. But we already have widespread electricity generation, transmission, and distribution. All that is needed for EV is to continue to grow the retail network, and about 30% capacity expansion spread over 25 years.

sly_karma have you figued out your Nov operating costs yet? Thank for the real world reports
Lot less driving this month, work has all been in town.
1034 km, 382 kWh used.
Energy cost $37 = 3.6 cents/km

Average energy consumption in November was 37 kWh/100 km. This is quite a kick upward, about 35% higher than summer use. Colder weather and a short run from home followed by lengthy work stops, which allows the drive system to cool off again. I haven't attempted to conserve energy either, using climate control and heated seats/wheel. Not an issue unless on longer trips.

Screenshot_20231202_191654_ChargePoint.jpg

Something about a smug guy who thinks telling one of his biggest advertising customers who spends tens of millions to “f…k yourself” makes me not want to become a customer and expect to be treated well.

Just had the first ford lightning ads served up to me on Facebook. Sure glad ford and at least Tesla are in the truck race. Competition is a good thing, wish Toyota, chev and dodge were in the mix.

Tesla has always started with premium and then gone to cheaper models, but at 100k I would want more payload but then again there are 1/2 tons at over a 100k usd .
I think Elon messed up by making claims that it’d start at under 50k usd and then pricing it significantly higher once released. Maybe over time he will drop the price but at its current price it’s probably out of most people’s reach. The lightning seems like the working man’s truck and Cybertruck will just be a toy for wealthy people.

Lot less driving this month, work has all been in town.
1034 km, 382 kWh used.
Energy cost $37 = 3.6 cents/km

Average energy consumption in November was 37 kWh/100 km. This is quite a kick upward, about 35% higher than summer use. Colder weather and a short run from home followed by lengthy work stops, which allows the drive system to cool off again. I haven't attempted to conserve energy either, using climate control and heated seats/wheel. Not an issue unless on longer trips.

View attachment 100252
I bet this thread is making a bunch of people raise an eyebrow. So cheap to operate.

I bet this thread is making a bunch of people raise an eyebrow. So cheap to operate.
The kind of detailed and honest reporting of cost of ownership provided by @sly_karma is rare. Given the numbers the OP has provided, a person considering the purchase of a 1/2 ton pick up today would be hard pressed to produce an objectively superior option to the Ford Lightning.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the perceived charging station deficit spoken of today will soon be replaced with a similar (actual) deficit of gasoline and diesel service stations, perhaps within the next 5-10 years.

On another note, our building just received Pre-approval for the last portion of our EV Charging Infrastructure project. We will receive a rebate of 50% on the EV Charger purchase and installation costs, up to a maximum of $25,000. This will put our cost per charger at about $1250.00 (Roughly 20 units opted in to the installation of a charger, all unit have the infrastructure available to do so when they're ready)

Something about a smug guy who thinks telling one of his biggest advertising customers who spends tens of millions to “f…k yourself” makes me not want to become a customer and expect to be treated well.

Just had the first ford lightning ads served up to me on Facebook. Sure glad ford and at least Tesla are in the truck race. Competition is a good thing, wish Toyota, chev and dodge were in the mix.

Tesla has always started with premium and then gone to cheaper models, but at 100k I would want more payload but then again there are 1/2 tons at over a 100k usd .
He is pretty firm in his belief that freedom of speech is an absolute right. That's his hill the die on. We all have one, but probably not THAT one. It may seem strange, but I find it easy to respect a person has the courage of his/her/their convictions. I watched the entire interview, as well as number of others from the same summit, and it was not the train wreck it appears to be.

BTW, the Cyber truck won the tractor pull by about 50 feet.lol. Fun to watch if for no other reason.

Last edited:
The kind of detailed and honest reporting of cost of ownership provided by @sly_karma is rare. Given the numbers the OP has provided, a person considering the purchase of a 1/2 ton pick up today would be hard pressed to produce an objectively superior option to the Ford Lightning.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the perceived charging station deficit spoken of today will soon be replaced with a similar (actual) deficit of gasoline and diesel service stations, perhaps within the next 5-10 years.

On another note, our building just received Pre-approval for the last portion of our EV Charging Infrastructure project. We will receive a rebate of 50% on the EV Charger purchase and installation costs, up to a maximum of $25,000. This will put our cost per charger at about $1250.00 (Roughly 20 units opted in to the installation of a charger, all unit have the infrastructure available to do so when they're ready)
That's a pretty good unit cost considering the complexity of multi family buildings and distances involved. My EVSE (Chargepoint Home Flex) was over $1400 installed. There are less expensive EVSE units available but I went Chargepoint for its strong monthly/quarterly/annual reporting capability and good reviews on cable retaining easy handling in cold weather.

What EVSE hardware units did your strata purchase?

A caveat, though: my use pattern and location is pretty damn optimal for EV. Which is why I'm seeing greater savings than the study linked on the previous page of this thread.

- High annual km but not many out of town trips, about 10-15% of mileage.
- Lots of in town and rural road driving, mostly 50-80 km/h speed range.
- Towing and bed loads, but short range, 60 km would be the longest haul for work.
- Off street parking at home for overnight charging.
- small city/rural location; truck not an oversized tank like it would be in a true city.
- "BC Advantage" (gas-electricity gap)

That's a pretty good unit cost considering the complexity of multi family buildings and distances involved. My EVSE (Chargepoint Home Flex) was over $1400 installed. There are less expensive EVSE units available but I went Chargepoint for its strong monthly/quarterly/annual reporting capability and good reviews on cable retaining easy handling in cold weather.

What EVSE hardware units did your strata purchase?
We went with Swtchenergy level 2, Networked and Load Managed chargers. The software is open source and the monthly administrative cost is quite low.

I see it the opposite way. After watching that interview I’m a bigger fan but I think at well over 100k any potential “savings” are out the window. Plus can you imagine how often people would want to ask you questions about your cybertruck. Everywhere you went for the next 5 years you’ll be hounded by people.

I see it the opposite way. After watching that interview I’m a bigger fan but I think at well over 100k any potential “savings” are out the window. Plus can you imagine how often people would want to ask you questions about your cybertruck. Everywhere you went for the next 5 years you’ll be hounded by people
Unique designs can sure help with marketing, I’ve heard truck guys say they don’t know if they have seen a lightening. Once the cybertruck ships to the island and if it delivers like Sly’s lightening and more it will sell itself. @sly_karma ford should be providing you with discount codes that give you free charging, just like Tesla used to do for promoting your vehicle with potential buyers.

I don’t want to digress about someone’s personality, no one has done more for electrification and space in decades, but as far as fatherhood and contributing to how my Jewish Canadian and American friends feel about the safety of their children…. Let’s just say we can agree to disagree.

Good to have the truck launch but there no such thing as free speech in capitalism, if I’m banned by the admins or the chief twit so be it, that’s business!

Is the cybertruck 2500 payload include 4-5 passengers on the cyber truck or 2500 - passengers?

I'll watch with interest as Tesla releases the lower spec models over the next couple of years. At the price point for the base RWD model (60K US/81K CAD), Lightning XLT ER (84K CAD) has 4WD and same range for similar. Not sure what driver features CT offers at that level and if they balance out against Ford. On CT's side is the totally integrated Tesla vehicle control software, navigation and charging system. They do that better than any legacy automaker.

Moot point because I'm not buying anything for years now, but for me the weird visuals and the style over function aspect would count against CT. Elon is weird and obnoxious, but that would not in itself make me say "Never Tesla".

Is the cybertruck 2500 payload include 4-5 passengers on the cyber truck or 2500 - passengers?
Surely payload is GVW minus empty vehicle weight (Tare). Passengers count as payload, always have.

I see it the opposite way. After watching that interview I’m a bigger fan but I think at well over 100k any potential “savings” are out the window. Plus can you imagine how often people would want to ask you questions about your cybertruck. Everywhere you went for the next 5 years you’ll be hounded by people.
Same here, well stated.

Unique designs can sure help with marketing, I’ve heard truck guys say they don’t know if they have seen a lightening. Once the cybertruck ships to the island and if it delivers like Sly’s lightening and more it will sell itself. @sly_karma ford should be providing you with discount codes that give you free charging, just like Tesla used to do for promoting your vehicle with potential buyers.

I don’t want to digress about someone’s personality, no one has done more for electrification and space in decades, but as far as fatherhood and contributing to how my Jewish Canadian and American friends feel about the safety of their children…. Let’s just say we can agree to disagree.

Good to have the truck launch but there no such thing as free speech in capitalism, if I’m banned by the admins or the chief twit so be it, that’s business!

The civility and respect here is very refreshing 👍

Last edited:
Back