Driving an EV pickup

Wonder how the touch screen that acts as a single point of control for most key vehicle functions will stand up to contractor use. Software looks flashy and has a nice UI, but from a user experience perspective it’s pretty bad.

no contractors are going to buy that thing. closest its going to come to actual construction sites will be in a mall parking lot as they are doing renovations to the mall.
Which is funny because they state the reason the bed is lined and not bare stainless is because they consulted with contractors and they said they would line the bed right away.

…So did they just listen to the contractor’s opinion on stuff that made it cheaper to manufacture, and ignore them on the rest of the entire truck? lol

Honestly I think the truck is stupid, and reminds me of “The Homer”. The reviewer in that video was pretty soft on a lot of pretty serious design flaws.

I’m sure it will sell because consoomers gonna consoom. Basically the EV equivalent of a creampuff Jeep Wrangler with a lift and tires that hasn’t seen a gravel driveway let alone a trail that requires 4-low.

But on a positive note, pushing EV technology forward one vehicle at a time is progress. Looking forward to seeing how the market plays out with better and more affordable options in the next 5-10 years

looks like someone is going to trade his lightning in for a tesla-mobil in 2025.....
Not my style, I buy 'em and keep 'em. New truck every 6-8 years, put my previous one in the work fleet, sell the oldest truck at 18-20 yrs old. You'd think the truck landscape will be pretty different in 2030. Hopefully lots of choice in electrified trucks.

Here's a good review also. Talks a lot about what's in side the box. Which is quiet impressive imo.

You gotta think a lot of thought went into a design that's been in development 5-6 years already. As stated previously, I won't be getting one, but would like to have a closeup look through one.

100% the doors wont open when their frosted up
Dorky stuff like no regular door handles is just design aesthetics being allowed to supersede practicality. Same as roof-mounted buttons for gear shift. Trying too hard to stand out.

Not my style, I buy 'em and keep 'em. New truck every 6-8 years, put my previous one in the work fleet, sell the oldest truck at 18-20 yrs old. You'd think the truck landscape will be pretty different in 2030. Hopefully lots of choice in electrified trucks.
bunch old toyotas and electric trucks come 2040 ha

I think Elon messed up by making claims that it’d start at under 50k usd and then pricing it significantly higher once released. Maybe over time he will drop the price but at it’s current price it’s probably out of most people’s reach. The lightning seems like the working man’s truck and Cybertruck will just be a toy for wealthy people.

Dorky stuff like no regular door handles is just design aesthetics being allowed to supersede practicality. Same as roof-mounted buttons for gear shift. Trying too hard to stand out.

If he to use a lot of force to open frozen doors before if that like spring they have was strong enough to break the ice the forge would fly open lol

Comparison of 3-year ownership costs of EV, gas pickup trucks​

We look at the three-year running costs of gasoline, hybrid, and all-electric versions of Canada’s workhorses

Pretty similar numbers to my experience, although the fine print says the study was based on $1.45/L gas and $0.155/kWh electricity. In BC, the playing field is skewed even more in favour of EV because of more expensive gas and cheaper hydro.

I wonder where they came up with the maintenance figures quoted for Lightning though. Once a year cabin air filter and 80 point safety inspection isn't gonna add up to $384. Whatever.

Pretty clear demo of the savings available, $16,000 in the first 3 years if SR battery fits your driving use. I'm tracking toward $20K savings, because higher annual km and the BC energy cost gap mentioned earlier. Plus it's hella fun to drive!

Pretty similar numbers to my experience, although the fine print says the study was based on $1.45/L gas and $0.155/kWh electricity. In BC, the playing field is skewed even more in favour of EV because of more expensive gas and cheaper hydro.

I wonder where they came up with the maintenance figures quoted for Lightning though. Once a year cabin air filter and 80 point safety inspection isn't gonna add up to $384. Whatever.

Pretty clear demo of the savings available, $16,000 in the first 3 years if SR battery fits your driving use. I'm tracking toward $20K savings, because higher annual km and the BC energy cost gap mentioned earlier. Plus it's hella fun to drive!
That website has a mix of EV opinions, some are not fans, and other see the future as at least a mix if not eventually all non fossil fuel.
Is hydrogen not even in the conversation anymore?

sly_karma have you figued out your Nov operating costs yet? Thank for the real world reports

That website has a mix of EV opinions, some are not fans, and other see the future as at least a mix if not eventually all non fossil fuel.
Is hydrogen not even in the conversation anymore?
Currently there are a couple of issues restricting the adoption of hydrogen as a primary fuel.
The biggest currently is the cost to produce hydrogen has been more than the value of equivalent hydrocarbon source (gas and oil)
The recent discovery of "white hydrogen" looks like it may provide a cheap alternative in the near future while giving traditional oil and gas companies a way to maintain their business models https://www.science.org/content/article/u-s-bets-it-can-drill-climate-friendly-hydrogen-just-oil
The next factors are supply and demand. To my knowledge no one other than Toyota is currently making a hydrogen car, and Toyota only released these last year https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/electrified/hydrogen-fuel-cell And while there is a small fleet of trucks and buses running on hydrogen, the demand is small, so there has been no incentive to provide nation wide hydrogen supply chains, which makes manufactures reluctant to build more vehicles. And around we go. In my opinion, to fix this deadlock, governments would need to make meaningful investments in distribution infrastructure, so that manufactures would have the confidence to begin production of hydrogen vehicles

Currently there are a couple of issues restricting the adoption of hydrogen as a primary fuel.
The biggest currently is the cost to produce hydrogen has been more than the value of equivalent hydrocarbon source (gas and oil)
The recent discovery of "white hydrogen" looks like it may provide a cheap alternative in the near future while giving traditional oil and gas companies a way to maintain their business models https://www.science.org/content/article/u-s-bets-it-can-drill-climate-friendly-hydrogen-just-oil
The next factors are supply and demand. To my knowledge no one other than Toyota is currently making a hydrogen car, and Toyota only released these last year https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/electrified/hydrogen-fuel-cell And while there is a small fleet of trucks and buses running on hydrogen, the demand is small, so there has been no incentive to provide nation wide hydrogen supply chains, which makes manufactures reluctant to build more vehicles. And around we go. In my opinion, to fix this deadlock, governments would need to make meaningful investments in distribution infrastructure, so that manufactures would have the confidence to begin production of hydrogen vehicles
Couldn’t they use the current gas stations and just put hydrogen tanks there? I have no idea how it would be stored but that’s my assumption anyway. Because there already is infrastructure in place in regards to locations, and space for multiple vehicles at once etc.

Couldn’t they use the current gas stations and just put hydrogen tanks there? I have no idea how it would be stored but that’s my assumption anyway. Because there already is infrastructure in place in regards to locations, and space for multiple vehicles at once etc.
This is they they are doing with charging stations now. Installing them at gas stations.

Back