Downrigger Mounting Position - fore or aft

Captain Dudds

Hey guys, I am about to mount DRs on a 26' Grady Islander with twins - no kicker.

2012-02-03130103.jpg

Traditionally, everyone seems to mount them as far back as possible (in this case right in front of rear flush mount holders). However, I will not have a prop-guard and am worried about chopping my DR line, especially since I am going to be starting to fish Vancouver and it seems to be a deep fishery - lots of angle on the lines.

Anyone have experience mounting them further forward, say right behind or possibly in front of the front flush mount holders? Is there a downside to mounting them forward that I have not thought of?

For the record, they are extended boom, so that should help a bit too.

thanks,

Dudds

Youve got a better chance of nailing your line with a prop with them mounted forward than aft. I've had them both ways (currently way forward) and much prefer forward...easier to set gear. This question is a personal preference thing.

I would mount them between the rod holders, if the line is getting near your props you have way too much blowback, slow down, or turn to go with the tide!Thats where mine are mounted on my seafarer, no problems so far and I run a kicker mounted on my pod with no propgaurd.

Mount them as far aft as you can. You'll (theoretically) lose less gear...... unless you have an Albertan at the helm, in which case you'll lose two cannon balls, two rubber snubbers, two release clips, two terminal clips, 3 Delta flashers, 400 feet of 175 lb. PowerPro and a Kone Zone all in one morning. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mount them as far aft as you can. You'll (theoretically) lose less gear...... unless you have an Albertan at the helm, in which case you'll lose two cannon balls, two rubber snubbers, two release clips, two terminal clips, 3 Delta flashers, 400 feet of 175 lb. PowerPro and a Kone Zone all in one morning. :eek:
That sounds pricie $$$$$$!

FAR forward as you can look at my video and you will see why especially with clients on board set them facing forward when fish is on and the back and sides are all clear. NOW if i was on the bank fishing or cambell river where your going down 150 to 200 plus down id have them in the aft just because of all the current and blow back but normal sooke or vic fishing or (malcom island remeber those days bud) as far forward as you can

drop me a line bud

wolf

I FISH WH and I have mine as far aft as possible due to depth fished. Gives me a little more lee-way for tighter turns. I have a prop guard and it is amazing the number of wire rubs on both the guard and the kicker leg. The guard looks polished on one side. Haven't lost any gear to the prop or kicker. Now other reasons-well that's another matter. LOL

No Question slam em in the back ,

i had my previous 2 boats mid shipish , switched it up on the Ducker , LOVE it , never go back,,,,

not sure if this is a wcvi thing , but most of the experienced boats i see there, are in the back , had zero to do with my decission , like Wolf says , maybe it has something to do with the deeper fishing , i like mine in the back because the DR cables dont get near the boat , the fishing lines dont get near my props ! when in the back , everything clears no matter who is driving the boat , most importantly , it gives guys more room ta plant there butts closer to the Bevy cooler and tunes : ) i have better vision of all my gear when driving from the cockpit too !

ps... Sweet Motors , buddy just hung the same pair ,

fd

I have always had mine in the rear, growing up in campbell river and fishing DEEP definetly has a lot to do with it...now living in sooke i could get away with midships, but just a personal preference, i have them mounted as far aft as possible, i can do donuts all day in any tide, and not have to worry about my lines touching the boat or prop....

BEATTUY boat by the way, jelous!!!!!

I FISH WH and I have mine as far aft as possible due to depth fished. Gives me a little more lee-way for tighter turns. I have a prop guard and it is amazing the number of wire rubs on both the guard and the kicker leg. The guard looks polished on one side. Haven't lost any gear to the prop or kicker. Now other reasons-well that's another matter. LOL

You must be using Stainless line. My guess is that if my braid touches the prop guard, it's gone.
Dave

Not so Dave-I switched to braid about 3 years ago-I know I've touched many times and never lost it to the guard-but I do make sure there are no burrs whatso ever on the guard-every trip!!!

aft, just forward of that gunnel rod holder. all you need to do is extend the DR arms to max to avoid your props, not hard to do, and then keep your turns modest, nothing sharp. i think you will have a greater possibility of trouble the further forward you go, lines under the boat.

I've got a GW228G. I have mounted mine exactly where Salmonkiller said. They work fine and I find it easier to work with the downrigger when I have some space behind them. Just my view. I haven't had an issue with line going into the prop on my main or kicker.

The main reason mine are as far forward as i can get them is I swival them back and im cliping on right there very easily next when I get a fish on move them forward out of the way cause trust me if there is a ball in the way a guest WILL wrap a fish around it seen it WAY to many times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tpHgGHkoH8

just watch when we get a fish on and ALL the room I have to net a fish at the side of the boat without any obstructions trust me makes a HUGE difference....

Good luck Wolf

nice vid Wolf

, ( surprised there lettin ya use the song ! they removed a popular song fro my vid , copyright infringements they said lol )

my guys like ta sit along the the gunnel's when its calm out, keep the deck area clear of rod buts etc when its a little lumpy out , unless i have a hog on , i rarely pull the other rigger (s) i turn the downrigger 90 deg to the "back" if needed , ball is 1 foot outta the water when auto stop is hit , never any issues , or turn it 90 degrees forward if ya needed i suppose ?

good havin different ideas for all , but , , whatever works for ya

( when ur running ur riggers closer to the back , you dont need ta have your booms extended much either , easy ta clip on , there well outta the danger zone..

m2b

fd

some of this is going to depend on your boats configuration. on my CC fish can be fought from anywhere on deck, one side to the other. on a boat with a cabin or inability to follow the fish around the boat, i can see the logic for mounting forward. with the booms not extended and the DRs mounted to the rear, take a squint at where the lines are going then make up your mind about running the booms all the way out.

i used to run with my booms all the way in for ease of clipping on. one day i was trolling across a pretty stiff current and while checking gear noticed the DR cable pretty close to the prop, i was surprised to say the least. now, booms all the way extended.

Last edited by a moderator:
My preference is as far back as possible and yet still accessable. Looking at your pic i would remove the rear rod holder and mount then right over the hole. You will have one holder on the rigger and the flush mounted one forward. Not only keeps them clear of the prop, but stops the deep lines from rubbing on the side of the boat in turns and strong tides. If I start running real deep, i stretch my booms out, other than that, keep them shortened up for ease of access to the clips. Also that position keeps the sides of the boat clear for netting and boarding from our dingy. Had them mounted further forward on our 18.5 Double Eagle and lost one ball to the prop and gouged the fiberglass on more than one occassion. Mind you they weren't long booms either.

I like them as far back as possible, so they're out of the way when netting or when bottom fishing. When the booms are fully extended, it's still easy to grab the release with a gaff, or if you have the tilt brackets, just lift the down rigger and grab the release.

Sent from my iPad when I should be fishing.

Back