Downrigger cable voltage.

And stray voltage from fiberglass hull not an issue either? I guess I could put meter leads across main and kicker?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I've heard of "hot" boats that are not bonded properly.
Unless you're trolling very shallow and close to the boat, I don't think it will affect your hook up ratio.
On a "hot" boat the fish will freak out when it gets close enough to feel the current.

And stray voltage from fiberglass hull not an issue either? I guess I could put meter leads across main and kicker?

You will still get stray voltage form a FG boat as well. The main culprit (if I understand it), is the electrolysis that occurs with 100+ feet of wire and a great big ground (cannonball) in the saltwater. What the black box is intended to do is "tune" that voltage to the most beneficial.

But I use braid not wire. And rubber snubbers. Does that clean me up?

I noticed a hookup improvement on my boat after switching to metal clips , i also use stainless cable and snubbers....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I use braid not wire. And rubber snubbers. Does that clean me up?

Easy way to tell without having to use a voltmeter is; Look at fish you've caught and see if they come right in along side the boat or try to shy away. Chances are if they come right in and are comfortable, you are good. If they shy away and try and stay away from the boat you are hot.

I had a hot boat, and the springs would always approach the starboard side,almost never land one on port side, also got tired of replacing the frayed down rigger cable and switched to braid. The boat always slayed fish, out fished most boats around. Didn't notice much difference with braid, at times I thought the action slowed but I'm sure it was just in my head.
I had to clip 30'-40' back to keep clear of the voltage, but it worked. Now with braid I clip short.

Back