Downrigger bars?

I just found that pic on a website about down rigging from a sailboat. If I found a chunk of stainless round bar, I suppose I could tig a fin on it like that one. I'll see what I can find around the shop.

I think you guys are going about it wrong I think they are suppose to be huge vertical not horizontal the ones with the fins on it are no different than a lead cannon ball they will torpedo right into the rock, where as the vertical ones will dingle and bounce over the rocks like river fishing with pencil lead and surgical tubing. and if you can't afford a 25.00 cannon ball then you really can't afford to fish

the ones I saw were indeed vertical. I don't see why you couldn't put a fin on it though. Might be worth the experiment. If anyone tries this let us know!

yes old window sash weights work awesome for bottom bouncing... paint em up and drag em!!

I grabbed a couple during a reno I was working on a while back. Was more thinking of using them to weight down my crab traps and prawn traps, but would work for DR's I guess. I may just stick with lead balls for now.

painted mine with rustoleum (bright toyota red) after a wire brushing and just touch up the paint when they get marked up..will try to remember a pic...

Would window sash wieghts be heavey enough. I use 12 or 15 lb cannon balls How deep would they get you down without blowback.

thanks lazoman i wonder if metal pipe filled with concrete would work or too much blowback due to surface area say two inch pipe.

I did some experimenting with non - lead downrigger weights. NOTHING will work better than lead, especially as you go deeper. Blowback is proportional to surface area/hydro drag of a given object. Density of lead is .41 lbs per cubic inch, most steels are around .29lbs per cubic inch and concrete is way less.

And as far as shapes go, the most compact shape per given volume is a sphere, so no matter what material you use, a ball is the most efficient at depth.

I did some experimenting with non - lead downrigger weights. NOTHING will work better than lead, especially as you go deeper. Blowback is proportional to surface area/hydro drag of a given object. Density of lead is .41 lbs per cubic inch, most steels are around .29lbs per cubic inch and concrete is way less.

And as far as shapes go, the most compact shape per given volume is a sphere, so no matter what material you use, a ball is the most efficient at depth.

Tungsten is actually 70% more dense than lead so it should make a much better downrigger weight. It might be a little pricey for bottom bouncing though. Blowback angle increases with depth due to the drag on the line and not the drag on the weight which should remain the same. Thinner lines should help more at depth.

A sphere has the lowest total surface are for a given volume but it doesn't have the smallest frontal area nor the best drag coefficient which are what matter for determining drag. A sphere does have the advantage that it can't get messed it up and end up being towed sideways which could happen with any other shape.

The 5lb linkable deepdrop sinkers from these guys look pretty practical for pipe shaped lead.

http://www.gratefullead.com/

I started using these last year because lead cannonballs were so expensive. They are scrap 1 3/4" hydraulic cylinder shafts. I just cut them into 8 and 12# lengths and welded on a ring. They are stainless steel, work great and are free. The shop had enormous amounts of shafts there. I grabbed several more for spares and was thinking of trying a bigger diameter but these stow so nicely in the rod holders. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366336427.672751.jpg

Back