Coated Downrigger Balls and Ion Control

GordonFreeman

Hey guys, I can't seem to find the article that I had read on the pros of using coated downrigger balls. It was something about shielding positive or negative ions and the whole repelling fish thing. Does anyone have any information on this? I'm just trying to decide if I go to the new UV/Glow coated cannonballs for this season and if it would make much difference. (I need all the help I can get).

Thank you,

G

I used a spray can of plastic coating paint from Home Depot.

Look up "noble metal" on google. A metal low on the noble scale such as lead (what the DR balls are made of) will transfer electrons (actual metal) to more noble metals such as Stainless steel (what most of your DR fittings are made of if they are fairly close to each other in saltwater - it makes a battery & generates electrical voltage/current. This voltage/current can repel fish & pretty soon your 15lb balls weigh less than 15lb.

I run the 15lb coated/uv glow cannonballs now instead of non coated. I can't say they help catch more fish but I still catch consistently like I did with the non coated. It all has to do with the grounding of the electrical system in the boat, in my opinion.

I use Cannon Mag 10STX riggers that have positive ion control. I haven't figured out how to properly check my grounding voltage while in the water. It's on my to do list.

I'm going to give the UV/GLOW balls a shot this year, I'll let you know how I make out. To be honest, I don't like my 13 year old handling lead or myself for that matter. I'm also going to jump from 15 to 18lbs due to our crazy current.

Last edited:
My career is in the field of electrical corrosion control in soil and seawater, specifically the manipulation of ion flow.
All of these claims related to fishing, dc electrical potential, and ions are complete Hokum.
Feel free to spend your money but the claims don't stand up to rigor. Just lots of anecdotes with one off situations and small sample sizes

My career is in the field of electrical corrosion control in soil and seawater, specifically the manipulation of ion flow.
All of these claims related to fishing, dc electrical potential, and ions are complete Hokum.
Feel free to spend your money but the claims don't stand up to rigor. Just lots of anecdotes with one off situations and small sample sizes
Ya I have to admit that I'm skeptical about the fish catching abilities of any downrigger ball but just for the lead safety part of the equation I think that I'll start using them. They aren't much more money. Only found a couple of places that carry them where I fish. Don't seem to be very popular yet.

Wouldn't even worry a great deal bout the lead.

I know guys that work for BC Hydro and are handling lead and breathing fumes from molten lead most days. No problems.

Handling some DR balls is safe.

If you're using braid you won't get the galvanic effect. Except for where your metal clip attaches to the downrigger ball, if they are dissimilar metals.

But I use the plastic connector to the ball so mine is isolated.( I run braid).

That said, I often add very small pieces of certain metals to the downrigger ball etc to deliberately get a voltage thing going off the ball.

Are you saying they don't exist, aren't significant or do not affect fishing?

Are you saying they don't exist, aren't significant or do not affect fishing?
I'm saying that references to steel cable, voltages and ions are mostly misdescribing how it works.
Lots of one off stories about noticing more fish one time, and then sticking to your new opinion

As Aheny says there is a lot of Hokum out there.
You need to understand the electrical field that is being created and most of it that you measure is from your boat. The main voltage leakage to be worried about is at your boat. Having good zincs and grounding on your motors is the best place to start. If you run steel wire then the field at your boat can be transferred to your gear. However if you are running braided line then your cannonball has no effect. The braided line acts as a barrier.
Search back under my name a few years and you will find a large amount of information to voltage leakage and voltages fish respond to.
I use coated as they do less damage in the boat and look nice, no other reason.
That being said I do use glow hootchies and glow lures as I do think they attract as very little light penetrates the first hundred feet, so glow balls may have a benefit in that sense.
I have an electrical background with experience in cathodic protection for marine installations.

I have an Electronics/Electrical background as well.

What i do know is that just because something is hard/difficult to prove does not mean that it cannot be proved. When I worked in commercial Avionics I isolated an Autopilot failure to a memory card. All the standard tests/test fixtures passed the Autopilot, but soon as you engaged it on the plane an alarm would go off. The factory isolated it to a memory chip & dissected it under a microscope. One transistor out of thousands on the Integrated Circuit IC was fused on the off position.

From this point on I stopped being a skeptic.

It took me much less time to write this than it did to paint my DR balls.

None of this matters unless it affects the behavior of the fish. Soon as you amateur rocket scientists figure this one out I'll listen.

Most people who worry bout this stuff are scratching their heads because they can't catch fish.

Try nailing down your location, speed, gear, because I don't think it's coming down to whether your balls are coated or not.

I thought the same thing. Not one case of lead poisoning even with guys long retired that had been round it for 30+ years apparently.

My understanding from some information I have gathered about the lead concern/saftey is that you don't want to be breathing in particles of lead (dust) such as if you are sanding lead for example. Handling lead cannonballs, sinkers while fishing or any use of lead where you aren't creating a breathable particle, you are fine.

(However I am not responsible for anyone reading this that then gets lead poisoning while fishing with lead , lol )

Back