down rigger recommendation....

BCROB

for mainly the big lakes , Okanagan , Shuswap, Kootenay
will be electric.......is there a make model preference you experts go after ?
fixed / swivel base necessary ?
with Wholesale closing down there are 10% deals on Scotty gear right now

thanks for any input
Rob

I have both-an 1106 and a 2106-both running braid. The 2106 is really great fishing off-shore-very deep and heavy weights. If I was just straight forward lake fishing say less than 150 ft I would go 1106 for 2 reasons-way cheaper and easier to find a cheaper used one. Doesn't have a battery powered digital counter which can be a pain because you need to carry a spare-I have had one go in as little as 14 hrs of use!! Warranty I know but doesn't help in Winter harbour-and so out comes my trusty 20 year old 1106 which I always carry as a spare. Makes you wonder about progress when you trust old technology to bail you out!! LOL Definitely swivel base

Last edited:
I've also heard form the guys fishing the 2106 that it retrieves so fast that they no longer get fish hitting on the way up...too fast for the fish to catch up to it.

1106 $499 every day price at harbour chandler. I'd like to know wholesale sports price with there discounts. Bet chandler is cheaper

1106 $499 every day price at harbour chandler. I'd like to know wholesale sports price with there discounts. Bet chandler is cheaper
Steely they were $419 but I don't think they were the 60" extendable , grabbing some rod holders tomorrow so I'll have another look , thanks for the Harbour price...

You don't need extendable booms fishing lake it's more for when fishing current and we only fish fish five pound balls when lake fishing not 15 when salmon fishing so the regular on will be more than enough

You don't need extendable booms fishing lake it's more for when fishing current and we only fish fish five pound balls when lake fishing not 15 when salmon fishing so the regular on will be more than enough

Good to know thank you for your input

FYI you need 12 lb ball or bigger with the high power Scottys, brake setup doesn't work well with lighter weights. Adjustment very finicky.

FYI you need 12 lb ball or bigger with the high power Scottys, brake setup doesn't work well with lighter weights. Adjustment very finicky.
so are you saying sly karm that less than 12 LB balls go with the no boom....
was considering the boom 1106 that comes with swivel base for the same price as the 1099 after adding a swivel bad

so are you saying sly karm that less than 12 LB balls go with the no boom....
was considering the boom 1106 that comes with swivel base for the same price as the 1099 after adding a swivel bad
The newer high performance Scottys (21xxHP model numbers) were designed for heavier weights and greater fishing depths. My experience has been that 10 lb isn't enough weight, adjusting the brake results in either a ball that won't drop when you release the brake, or no brake at all. 12 lb is a bit better, but you'll fiddle with brake adjustment for a while before finding the right spot. 15 lb is much easier to set up, there's a good sized sweet spot and it'll probably work fine right out of the box.

If you're not battling winds and currents, or fishing relatively shallow or slowly, then the original Depthpower 11xx series will handle your needs just fine. But they'll struggle if you throw 15 or 20 lb lead on there.

My take on boom length is it mostly depends on your hull and motor configuration. If you can mount fairly well aft on a conventional outboard or stern drive hull, you probably won't need the 60" boom, because the rigger lines won't foul the motor in a tight turn. But where you're forced to mount more forward by a deep splash well, or transom seating, or if you have a pod that moves the props a long way aft of the rigger locations, then the angles become too shallow and a tight turn can indeed foul the gear on the prop. A longer boom can overcome that problem.

I have run always run 15 pounds on the 1106 and no problems. 20's would be

I have the old style (1106's0 and only run 15 lb cannon balls and when fishing at Winter Harbour many times fish well over 200' down. They have always worked and have never let me down - now I do look after my gear.

appreciate the info gents, grabbed the last (2) 1106 B's from a local supplier here in town....
the Wholes Sports will come and go , the locals shops continue to tough it out so they continue to get my business and in return I get big box store price...:)
installed them last evening very pleased with the product and quality.....

Back