Donating to which salmon project?

chris73

Dear Anglers;

The Consultants Invitational Fishing Derby is looking to donate the humble sum of $2,000 to a worthy cause in addition to the already donated $12,000 this year to local salmon projects. We would like to solicit brief proposals by organizations involved in salmon or stream keeping projects and in need for funds. We are looking for the best bang for our bucks and would ideally donate to a small operation where $2,000 will really make a difference for enhancing salmon or conditions for salmon. We extend this invitation for proposals BC wide and will look at every project at its own merrits. Please pass this on to organizations you know of in need of funds and fitting this category. They should briefly state who they are, what they do, historic background on the project and the organization, members involved and what the money is needed for and how this money will help salmon. Some pictures will certainly help. We would also like them to provide references to ensure that the money doesn't end up in some dubious channels.

Please email to:

cohosalmon@live.ca

or mail to:

Consultants Invitational Fishing Derby
4402 Elnido Cres.
Victoria, BC
V8N4Z6

There is some good work going on around the island trying to protect and rebuild herring stocks. In particular restoring spawning habitat and trying to cover up dock pilings that kill the eggs once they have been laid. I hope one of these organizations submits a proposal and I hope they are considered.

I am a believer that if herring and some of the other food sources are restored that will help salmon as much as any other project. No matter what great job raising the funds I hope you find an exciting project to assist.

That would also be a great charity to support, GDW. If you know someone involved GDW, please let them know!

a note to those unaware, with the additional money we had remaining since the derby, $2000 of this will already be donated to Esquimalt Anglers Association in support of the great work Doug & Bruce have been doing on Craigflower creek. I have known the need was there for financial support and that was where we wanted some additional money to go to after our support of SSE. Great to hear where the other small operation needs are for the additional $2000, so please give us lots of ideas. I certainly like and can appreciate this herring angle as a starter idea!

Deewar25/Chris73

For the last few years I have always supported the Consultant Derby because all the profits raised goes back into salmon enhancement. It's a great derby and run to perfection. You two guys and your team do an excellent job and probably contribute more to salmon enhancement than any other derby. Keep up the good work

Bruce, The Esq. Anglers and myself really appreciate the donation and the fund will go into supporting the enhancement of fish in our local water.

Salish Sea Herring Enhancement Society - For the herring...but really for the salmon.

Hey GDW,

Thanks for the mention. You are referring to the Salish Sea Herring Enhancement Society. Some fishing buddies, forum members and I formed the group last year. We aim to replicate efforts of the Squamish Streamkeepers and others around BC to help out the herring stocks....which everything else is built off as you mentioned.

Last year we put some trial curtains out in the Gorge and Portage Inlet, but didn't seem to have any success. We did do a lot of reconnaissance around the area and have discovered that Deep Cove, Saanich Inlet, is the perfect candidate to have very good return on investment. The herring run was massive last year, but unfortunately there was mass death on creosote pilings also. Strength in numbers, they should return next year and we hope that no more herring eggs die in deep cove as a result of creosote pilings. The picture attached is what we found last year in deep cover(Dave S taking some samples in the background)

Chris, be looking out for our proposal!

herringeggs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back