Don Cherry Fired

Cherry added: “I know what I said and I meant it. Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour our fallen soldiers.”...

Its actually unbelievable to think, that we've become such a "diverse" and accepting country, one thats so accommodating and welcoming of everyone elses beliefs and ideals, that we can't even publicly honour, remember, and call attention to what got us here as a country in the first place anymore..
Instead all thats received is criticism and ridicule, racist labels tossed around, ultimately punishing those for calling on all Canadians, to honour Canada properly and stick true to the most patriotic and memorable display of being a Canadian. We now live in a country where it's no longer acceptable to call attention to the most core fundamentals of what got us here in the first place. However it's completely acceptable to be governed by a prime minister who has on multiple instances, shown the most outrageous display of racism.. really hits home.

Wear your poppies with pride Canada, the red and black ones

The national on CBC , Don Cherry top story, disgusting!

Sons and Daughters lost their lives for the freedom you all enjoy, they still do, it’s not all rainbows and sunny ways!

World war 2 veteran tells Natasha fata of CBC he wanted to kill as many Germans as he could. Fata is flabbergasted... well that’s not politically correct now a days she says....and Don Cherry is out of touch?

Last edited:

Sons and Daughters lost their lives for the freedom you all enjoy, they still do, it’s not all rainbows and sunny ways!

World war 2 veteran tells Natasha fata of CBC he wanted to kill as many Germans as he could. Fata is flabbergasted... well that’s not politically correct now a days she says....and Don Cherry is our if touch?
I have to agree with you guys there. They should have known this would make top headlines. Very bad timing indeed. I also wanted to say that I understand why guys agree with what he said. Perhaps in some cases this may be true. But you can't generalize like that, you just can't. My grandparents immigrated here in the early 50's and I would guess it took them a few years just to get their bearings let alone understand every tradition. They died proud Canadians. Racist as all hell but that's just the way it was BACK THEN.

World war 2 veteran tells Natasha fata of CBC he wanted to kill as many Germans as he could. Fata is flabbergasted... well that’s not politically correct now a days she says....and Don Cherry is out of touch?

CBC is a joke anyway. The national more than most programs.

Saxe point ...you missed the point, to left to see I guess. It’s not who fought, it’s who pays respect. Carry on cancel culture.

Professional sport is more than a business nowadays. When NHL issued the statement on Saturday I knew the axe was dropping on him. Then read the statement from Budweiser today. NHL, Rogers and Budweiser don’t see this thru the leftie/rightie lense. Their multi billion dollars brand is the most critical asset for them and they just did their PR analysis and made the call.
Baby boomers are no longer the economic engine that they used to be and most corporations and banks are looking at the newcomers as the new consumer platform. Generalizing and labeling “you people” with negativity on a popular tv show would definitely not fall right with the sponsors. It’s as simple as it is.

Timing was awful. Focus should’ve been on showing gratitude to those who served and are serving our country. Everything else is just pure distraction.

Saxe point ...you missed the point, to left to see I guess. It’s not who fought, it’s who pays respect. Carry on cancel culture.

I don’t think so. If you’re siding with Cherry, you will be tagged with the same label. He, and you, have missed the point entirely. The good news is that right thinking people have had enough of Cherry and his bigoted drivel.

Yup saxe you did, you can label me all you want, I can easily label you as well. Free speech, freedom, and democracy is what was fought for.

Last edited:
Free speech, freedom, and democracy is what was fought for.

Corporations don’t give a hoot about those values. If you’re not adding to the bottom line, you’re out. The relationship between Cherry and NHL was in a dire shape for a long time and that’s b/c the social aspect of the sport has changed. Cherry didn’t see the change coming and lost his job to Darwin!

Originally I was in the "pro Cherry" camp, but after a bit of thought, not so much.
He could have just said "people should wear poppies" but he didn't - he singled out a single group.
But more importantly - my Father was a veteran, and he repeatedly said he fought explicitly so people had the right to say/do whatever they wanted. As soon as you start dictating how people should respond, how they should act, how they should show respect, you are one step on the path towards exactly the thing he was fighting against.
Oh, and this (assuming the link works).

That rally occurred Nov 2nd. I know I didn't have mine on till Nov 5th. Not really relevant.
Poppies were available on Oct 25. So "respect" doesn't start until Nov 5th? Don Cherry walks down a street in Toronto, doesn't see enough poppies on "those people" and feels free to make a gross xenophobic generalization on national TV. Tell me again about "relevance".

Last edited:
Wish he had just said "You people who don't wear a poppy" but he went on to single out immigrants. Don Cherry did more for head injuries, fighting and violence in hockey than anyone and he should have left the building long ago. Better to have him as nice memory of the past with a quick interview every few months in Toronto than a paid voice for Canada and our national sport.

But more importantly - my Father was a veteran, and he repeatedly said he fought explicitly so people had the right to say/do whatever they wanted. As soon as you start dictating how people should respond, how they should act, how they should show respect, you are one step on the path towards exactly the thing he was fighting against.
Oh, and this (assuming the link works).

Great post. My deepest gratitude to your father and those who fought alongside him to protect our democratic values. In the core of those, is the freedom of choice.

Back