Doing a trip on your own

Chuck

Can leave with zero notice and head out on my own when fish are coming through, but saying that it would seem kind of odd heading out on a trip single handed. Most aren’t able to get away that quick and heading out with guys that have little to no experience, fishing or driving pulling a boat can be very difficult at times as it seems like your there on your own, equipment gets damaged or wrecked and end up babysitting anyway, so thought I might head out on my own for a few days.
I’m sure many have gone out on their own but would like to hear your thoughts.. Thanks,

I do it all the time. It's more work for sure. It's the same amount of work divided by one instead of two or three, so multi-day trips are long and busy; even if you get them in the morning, then there are halis and lingcod to chase. Throw in crabbing, cleaning the boat and setting up a campsite, it leaves little/no time for the night bite. I enjoy the solitude and freedom to go where I want. Leaving tomorrow for a 4 day trip.

Love the solo trips. Fish as long or short as you want. Ideal to stay on the boat. Making/breaking camp adds another dynamic into the mix but it is nice to get out on land. Keep meals quick & simple. Does make for long days but when you’re on your own schedule, it’s the best. Have a plan A,B,C for areas to fish incase weather rolls in.

Always tell a trusted one your plan on where you’re going, areas fishing, and what time they should call police if they don’t hear from your.

While I do enjoy teaching my kids to fish and having family time on the water, I do enjoy a solo trip once and a while. A few years ago I did an alder bay trip with a friend. I was solo on my boat and he had a crew of 3.
I had no schedule, no other considerations other then, "where to fish next". Sun up to sun down, trying new spots and I learned a lot.
After 10 days, I had had enough and it was time to return home.
I located many areas I now fish with the family that are not the normal go too spots. Nothing like studying the charts and tryin new spot.
I did take the normal safety precautions. Wore my pfd, had the ladder unbuckled and ready to deploy. Knife on my belt, whistle on pfd, also had a water resistant handheld radio handy. I didn't take any risks when it came to weather and wind. Planned my spots based on shelter and tides.

I do it all the time. It's more work for sure. It's the same amount of work divided by one instead of two or three, so multi-day trips are long and busy; even if you get them in the morning, then there are halis and lingcod to chase. Throw in crabbing, cleaning the boat and setting up a campsite, it leaves little/no time for the night bite. I enjoy the solitude and freedom to go where I want. Leaving tomorrow for a 4 day trip.

T, where are you off to?

T, where are you off to?

Ukee. I was going to leave tonight, but I had too many beers at golf. So I'll leave tomorrow night and catch the 5:15am boat on Monday.
Looks like light winds and low swell, but foggy everyday on Windy.com.

I am 68. My balance sucks compared to when I was younger, but my judgement has improved. I bought a Garmin inreach last year.
Not sure that at my age I would go overbite alone; besides splitting the fuel bill is nice.

Reactions: abl
I do a lot of solo hunting trips walking miles back in off the beaten trails. The wife purchased me a Spot a couple years back for her well being as well as mine I guess.

as much as i love fishing with friends and family, there is nothing that beats the peace and solitude of solo fishing for me.it is complete therapy. listen to my playlist, get up, fish, and go where i want. i stay on my boat and tie off to a few remote docks have up my sleeve, mainly north of the narrows. picked up a new boat bbq too.
thanks to the one fish /day slot, i plan on doing a solo overnighter around chatham or thurston bay soon. not going all that way for one fish.
as other mentioned, safety first. pfd, lanyard up to kill switches etc.

I also fish a lot by myself and have a deal with the family. I must check in as much as I can and always where my PFD. Nothing beats getting a nice fish all by yourself.

It’s a big deal to go on my own, drag the boat a long way there and return but after reading everyone’s thoughts I’m slowly grasping the concept. It’s my life to get out hunting on my own with zero issues and have no problem spending time alone trekking the bush. The smell in the fall is mind numbing for me, as I can’t live without it.

Total normal occurrence for me. Yes family and friends worry, but you must have confidence in yourself, plus knowledge and state of mind to get yourself out of what may happen. Now that I am retired I hunt annually for 3 months (15 Sept-15 Nov) all over Province, mostly solo out of wall tent with many nights under tarp on mountain somewhere, as for fishing, pack up boat and go explore for days or couple weeks, drive up and launch from North Island and suddenly realize your 100Km from Van Isle anchored in a small bay eating an IMP/MRE in the most amazing scenery. Hardest part is letting all them fish go, limits on many species daily but no way or desire to get all home. Love my solo time, no whining, no arguing or bitching. My best fishing/hunting partners have grown up and now have their own busy lives. Most times your not really alone as there are so many people with better (same) equipment and drive to do as I do. Go enjoy.

HM

H, your comment about whining, arguing or bitching really blows my mind when individuals get on their high horse. Happened way too many times on my boat and I don’t tolerate it, I just want to go fish and enjoy where you are. Pretty lucky if you ask me.. I’ve been out hunting with guys, on foot or horseback or out fishing and always do whatever needs to be done and always get, your more than welcome to be in my camp or on my boat.. I can’t say that for many that I’ve had on my boat other than family or close friends. Pretty sad really!!

I burned out on fishing for about 7 or 8 years I used to fish alone on the east coast once in awhile but never did on the west coast. I had a really reliable friend who came with me for years on the west coast and we were a team....then we both started families and with working full time and changing diapers etc, fishing got put on the back burner. I'm also an avid hunter and fishing was to much for me for awhile. My son is 12 now and took him for the first time to Ucluelet and Bamfield areas last year and I think a new team has started...my boy was over the moon with his 18lbs spring last summer and I'm ready to get back into fishing seriously ! I do like hunting a little more and often do solo hunts, but my son has also taken the CORE now and has already bagged a 2pt muley and an Island blacktail !

I burned out on fishing for about 7 or 8 years I used to fish alone on the east coast once in awhile but never did on the west coast. I had a really reliable friend who came with me for years on the west coast and we were a team....then we both started families and with working full time and changing diapers etc, fishing got put on the back burner. I'm also an avid hunter and fishing was to much for me for awhile. My son is 12 now and took him for the first time to Ucluelet and Bamfield areas last year and I think a new team has started...my boy was over the moon with his 18lbs spring last summer and I'm ready to get back into fishing seriously ! I do like hunting a little more and often do solo hunts, but my son has also taken the CORE now and has already bagged a 2pt muley and an Island blacktail !
You have the BEST time coming around the corner. I am the same, love fishing but my passion is hunting. My best outdoor buddies were my kids we all loved the outdoors, had a ton of bonding and fun time. Around 17 they get independent and have more pulling them away, go on a date or fish with dad?? Now with living far away and family of their own visits are short. Enjoy your children, time spent together outdoors is very special.
H, your comment about whining, arguing or bitching really blows my mind when individuals get on their high horse. Happened way too many times on my boat and I don’t tolerate it, I just want to go fish and enjoy where you are. Pretty lucky if you ask me.. I’ve been out hunting with guys, on foot or horseback or out fishing and always do whatever needs to be done and always get, your more than welcome to be in my camp or on my boat.. I can’t say that for many that I’ve had on my boat other than family or close friends. Pretty sad really!!
I understand this fully and was the reason I posted above. I have had all sorts of issues, things happen when exploring, hunting and fishing the province. Big newfie guys who were tough as nails here in Vic who turned to babies in the bush. Scared to leave sight of road, guys on a 3 week moose hunt and have no money or credit. WTH Guys who would not take their trucks in worrying about damage or scratches. Guys on my boat who show up with more beer than gear. On and on, now I am very picky who I take hunting or fishing. Very difficult to find the perfect outdoor partner. This means lone trips sometimes but I enjoy the solitude also.

HM

You have the BEST time coming around the corner. I am the same, love fishing but my passion is hunting. My best outdoor buddies were my kids we all loved the outdoors, had a ton of bonding and fun time. Around 17 they get independent and have more pulling them away, go on a date or fish with dad?? Now with living far away and family of their own visits are short. Enjoy your children, time spent together outdoors is very special.

I understand this fully and was the reason I posted above. I have had all sorts of issues, things happen when exploring, hunting and fishing the province. Big newfie guys who were tough as nails here in Vic who turned to babies in the bush. Scared to leave sight of road, guys on a 3 week moose hunt and have no money or credit. WTH Guys who would not take their trucks in worrying about damage or scratches. Guys on my boat who show up with more beer than gear. On and on, now I am very picky who I take hunting or fishing. Very difficult to find the perfect outdoor partner. This means lone trips sometimes but I enjoy the solitude also.

HM

Solitude is becoming more appealing with ever post I read.. Peace while fishing the best place in the world, what a concept!!

I did Nootka, 6 nights on the boat by myself was great ! But I have to say after 5 days with no human contact .....It was fricken great!!! If you haven't done it ....Do it !!

I also did a 10 day solo elk hunting trip last season. No human contact, no cell service, no work, no laptop... it was amazing. I great way to reset.

I did have an in reach for safety reasons.

Solo trips are good for your mental health. Get a satellite gizmo like an Inreach. It's surprising how much braver you get in your planning, knowing you can be found. I even take it when with my buddies, since they are as decrepit as I am.

A solo trip feels like "You're so much closer to the water", it's kind of a retreat.

Back