Does anyone kayak fish south vancouver island?

rendraW

I want to start Kayak fishing the ocean around Victoria, but I must admit I am pretty intimidated by the prospect of going it alone. I was wondering if any members are interested in buddy kayaking in the area? I am only interested in going on calm days with little current. I have a small trolling motor on board but it only pushes me at about 3.5 mph. The one experience I have had kayaking the ocean was lots of fun but pretty scary too. By the time I was heading in the waves were at about 3 feet and my battery was almost dead. I even had a guy in a 10 ft tinny ask me if I needed help. Luckily I made it back without assistance. Or wetting my floater suit.
Anyways, feel free to PM me or respond to this thread if you are interested in getting out there :)

I would love to but dont have a ocean worthy kayak. Ive tried off esq lagoon, wasnt to bad. There was a company that worked with Hobbie kayaks that give ocean kayak fishing lessons. I grabbed there card from the boat show I can dig out for you if interested. I think upisland would be good for coho and pinks later this year. Calmer waters with fish closer in. Chins too I would be scared to have to deal with anything over 10 pounds. They have inflatable outriggers you can add to to your kayak for extra stability if your kayak wasnt built for fishing.

I yak fish alot around Nanaimo but because the water can get unpredictable within seconds, I usually fish on the inside areas. My yak is not an ocean model, it is a 10ft Pelican Sport 100 coverted.

When I fish big water, I usually use my PWC. If the water becomes violent, I know I get on the hill pretty quick even if I am a couple miles out.

Where I came from, I could take a yak out in the ocean all day and not worry and the PWC could easily go 80 miles out. Not so around here. Here, the sea is unstable, unpredictable and quickly turns violent.

But, if you wanted to meet somewhere in between to fish the inside, I'm game on weekends.

i've been kayak fishing in the salt for a couple of years around the Victoria/Sooke area --it's a blast. Send me a pm as there's not too many people doing it and it's always nice to go with someone. i was going to try for halibut this weekend but couldn't find a partner so I went in the powerboat instead.(and got skunked!) This coming weekend I'm volunteering at Jack Brooks hatchery but another day would be fine.
T2

There is a few people that do it off Otter Pt. Seems like a good spot to do it as the beach is right there and it's also close to the road and not a bad place to catch fish either.

Got lot of coho and pinks up island last year!!!!! I've gone to sydney the last couple of weekends to try to land a chinook. But no go :( . Tsquared We're do you go out of sooke? Thinking of trying Beecher bay off east sooke park in the summer.

I did alot of walking around sooke looking for spots to cast from shore. The weather is usually pretty windy it seemed to me. Could get nice and close to the kelp beds ! The bay might be ok when they start to make a run for the river. I did some cruising around checking out launch spots and good reports, sidney and island view was the spots I was going to try in my 10fter.

Was at island view today. Saw bait fish and fish on the fish finder but no bites. :( going to try back tomorrow. Easy lanch for kayak. Looking to get my first chinook on a kayak this year!!

Got lot of coho and pinks up island last year!!!!! I've gone to sydney the last couple of weekends to try to land a chinook. But no go :( . Tsquared We're do you go out of sooke? Thinking of trying Beecher bay off east sooke park in the summer.
Last summer I used Pacific Lions marina in Becher Bay to launch from when I fished Bechy Head. You do have to pick your day for fishing the Head by reading the tide tables as there can be big tide rips at Beechy. Cheanuh will let you use their ramp as well. I was out there a couple of weeks ago looking for halibut by the Bedfords.2 other places to launch are Otter point and past Otter at Muir Creek. I had good luck with springs and coho--this year the goal is a halibut or 2.
Good luck and send me a pm sometime if you need a partner.
T2

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool thanks! Beechy head is a little daring for me been there in a boat and your right the tides do get moving. I just have a 10 foot pelican now working on getting a hobie for this summer/fall. Have you had any luck in beacher bay? And we're do you launch at otter point. And how is the ocean a muir creek? Thanks for all the info!!!!

If I were you id try Pedder. There actually a spot you can park and launch just before the marina. Then you can stay in the sheltered bay. There is a hole that ive heard people having luck from. You could go into the marina and ask. I would geuss Beecher would be good ive seen and heard of people catching fish as close as the dock. Just a bigger bay and a little further to get back in if weather turns. If you followed close to shore you could get over to whirl. Nicer thing about fishing later is fish arnt as deep. Also prob have to pick your days with slower currents and you prob dont have the weight to keep your gear down there.

Have you just jigging or trolling when you guys have got your salmon?

Muir has pretty big waves and the tide can go way out. You can launch by the bridge at the river. I did but pussed out. I would think you need a proper ocean kayak or some serious skills and big balls.

For pinks a coho I've had good luck with jigs,spoons, and spinners. I'm still learning to troll an anchovi. I'm useing a deep 6 diver and a reel line counter to try to get it down. Looks to have a good roll but haven't got anything yet. Bit the season is just starting up. :)

I like Muir in the summer but not in winter or even early spring as the waves that FS mentioned can make getting beyond the break interesting. FS--above is a photo of my trolling rig on the Hobie adventure island i use. I troll with either a 5 lb bll or a 10 lb ball if there is enough wind to push me along. I have since mounted my old fishfinder/plotter on that wooden bench that the downrigger is mounted on. I jig for halibt but without success so far this year. i might try Jordan River for halis a little later in the season.
As for Becher--July was great for coho last year and I even tried winter spring fishing out of Cheanuh in January but stayed close to the island in the channel. Otter Point launch--down on the flats past the point just before the cabins begin is where there is parking and beach access--you'll find it.
Good luck,
T2

Back