Do you use a light in your prawn trap?

Sea lyin’

Watching some YouTube videos trying to learn enough to up my prawn catching game. Watched a couple where guys are using a small light in their prawn traps. Anybody doing this? I spent a ton on my trap setup and not looking for a reason to spend more but wondering if they help increase catch rates? Or are they just another gimmick to separate me from my money?

'not looking for a reason to spend more'

tenor.gif

Well seeing as prawns are considered nocturnal....I cant see a light being more productive....in fact that may account for some people suggesting that the box traps fish better as they represent more of a dark cave......but that's just me guessing

Watching some YouTube videos trying to learn enough to up my prawn catching game. Watched a couple where guys are using a small light in their prawn traps. Anybody doing this? I spent a ton on my trap setup and not looking for a reason to spend more but wondering if they help increase catch rates? Or are they just another gimmick to separate me from my money?
I tried green glow sticks with no bait in my trap a couple of times, did'nt do a thing.

Well seeing as prawns are considered nocturnal....I cant see a light being more productive....in fact that may account for some people suggesting that the box traps fish better as they represent more of a dark cave......but that's just me guessing
I made some traps out of herring roe buckets which are white. For poops and giggles we paint one fluorescent orange with road marking paint. We called it the mothership it was so bright you could see it at about 50-60 ft coming up, but it out fished the other ones. So I tried glow sticks in my round ones and I found no difference

I once saw on deadliest catch that their newer pots have glow doors. For what it's worth.

i tried a few pots last year and put in large glow sticks. Didnt make a difference. But then I had this idea about keeping different color glow sticks in the traps and a water submersible boom box pumping out dance tunes. Wouldnt you know it, it was a disco dance party.

Back