Do you have to pay HST on a used boat?

The following wording is taken from the Federal Government's "APPLICATION FOR PLEASURE CRAFT LICENCE".

The personal information provided on this form is collected under the authority of the Small Vessel Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. This information is collected for the purpose of
issuing licences in order to identify owners and operators of pleasure craft, as well as to monitor and ensure compliance with the Small Vessel Regulations. (Note: A licence document does not
establish ownership of a pleasure craft.)Information may be disclosed to parties involved in search and rescue activities, as well as law enforcement agencies for the purpose of carrying out a lawful
investigation and enforcing any law of Canada, including the requirement to pay provincial sales tax.
The information collected is described in the Personal Information Bank entitled Pleasure Craft
Licences (bank number DOT PPU 044). Under the provisions of the Privacy Act, individuals have the right of access to, and protection of, their personal information. Instructions for obtaining
personal information are provided in Info Source, a copy of which is available in major public and academic libraries or online at

Seems to me that if one signs the form, that person has given permission for the information to be disclosed to provincial tax authorities.

When we finally get back to the old GST/PST system will the GST portion for used vehicles not revert to what it originally was - 0% so that only the PST will be paid (7%)? Do you think that the current HST level of 12% will remain in force as PST? Man, this crap of paying tax upon tax for used stuff pisses me off to no end!

What a laugh. Do you really believe it will go back to the way it was? They have too much revenue to make up-also 1.6 billion they owe the feds for the failed HST. If you voted no to the HST -reality is about to bite you. Gov'ts never give back money and you can take that to the bank!!!

The amount of taxes that we are paying in Canada is completely crazy.
Even taxes are taxed and taxed again.
Look at the tax on a litre of gas or the Property Transfer Tax
Govt is simply spending too much we have more govt than what we need.
It doesnt matter if you call it HST or GST the Govt needs to collect the money they spend from you and I.
Wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My experiences:
A
1) I purchased a boat and trailer from a private party on April 9, 2001.
2) Shortly after April 9, 2001 I sent in the Pleasure Craft License Form to have the boat transferred to my name.
3) In a letter dated June 18, 2001 the Consumer Taxation Branch notified me that it had come to their attention that Boat License # 13K-xxxxxx was recently registered in may name and that provincial sales tax was payable.

B
1) In July 2011 I purchased a boat in the US
2) At the border I had to pay 12% tax on the boat and 5% tax on the trailer.
3) When I had the trailer inspeced at Canadian tire I was charged an enviromental fee of $5.00 per tire.
4) When I registered and had the trailer licensed I had to pay 7% on the trailer.

The following is a quote from my Pleasure Craft License.
"When the ownership of a licesnsed pleasure craft is transferred, the new owner shall immediately make application to the issuer to transfer the license."
This document also states
"THIS LICENSE IS NOT A TITLE DOCUMENT"

So, I am looking at buying a boat that is being brought into canada but it is registered in the USA. Guy is canadian but lives in Washington and is coming up for weekend and bringing the boat.
The boat is 15 years old and trailer is 8 years old.
Does anyone know how I would go about getting the boat and trailer registered?

Thanks,
Dave

So, I am looking at buying a boat that is being brought into canada but it is registered in the USA. Guy is canadian but lives in Washington and is coming up for weekend and bringing the boat.
The boat is 15 years old and trailer is 8 years old.
Does anyone know how I would go about getting the boat and trailer registered?

Thanks,
Dave

I would get a bill of sale and a copy of his U.S. registration....
Then go to your ICBC agent with that info and ask them to transfer the trailer into your name and insure it.
After that is complete, go to Canadian tire and have them approve the trailer.

In order to license your boat, send a copy of the bill of sale and the US.registration to Service Canada.

They will in turn process the paperwork, send you your license and sooner
or later you will get a tax bill in the mail.

p.s. did you find an Arima ?

Last edited by a moderator:
p.s. did you find an Arima ?

Hey Scott. Thanks for the reply. I did find an arima. 1996 sea explorer 17. Lots of arima upgrades and very clean. It's being brought over from the peninsula for thanksgiving. I know it's not the sea chaser but I think it will be a great boat and I am kinda into the idea of some overnight trips and sleeping in the cuddy. Pretty excited to get it.

Congrats, the sea explorer is a nice boat and your's will have the starboard interior rather than the wood grain.
What kind of power on her ?

Thanks! It's got a pair of 98 merc motors. 75hp and 8hp. May swap for the power on my current rig. Yammy 02 f60 and 07 f4. Not sure how they will work on this boat though. Might be undergunned. I'll find out.

As you say Dave, the 60 may be underpowered on the 17.
General consensus on the Arima boards is for a 90 on the 17, (but their mostly Mericans in love with HP ratings), but give it a whirl if the switch out is easy to accomplish -but keep the 8 kicker if in good shape, the 4 would be too light to buck any kind of current/tide.
If you do switch the motors let us know how it performs.
( I have the SC16 with Johnson 60.)

BTW, nice rig, you will be happy with it.

Anyone know the answer to my original question?

Hypothetical question. What if the seller is a business and charged the HST on the sale?

Paid seller HST during purchase and he collected it as a business. The boat had a C number.

So... Any idea? I don't really think it would be appropriate to pay the HST twice considering he should be remitting the portion paid. Bill of sale says the HST amount, and bank draft receipt reflects that.

Thanks! It's got a pair of 98 merc motors. 75hp and 8hp. May swap for the power on my current rig. Yammy 02 f60 and 07 f4. Not sure how they will work on this boat though. Might be undergunned. I'll find out.

I have an older 17ft hourston with an 04 60hp yamaha and I personally think it is great power for that boat. Not sure how a hourston compares to an armina weight wise I am guessing my boat is a little easyier to push but maybe not?

My boat has no trouble getting out of the hole even with a heavy crew, full gas tanks and two batteries. I cruse between 24-29mph depending on the water conditions. I do run the motor at higher RPM than most people like to though I usually run at 5400 but can still plane at 4700RPM which gives me about 19mph.
Fuel consumption is not bad at all even if you run at 5400RPM all day. The boat is a little slow compared to other boats on flat water but in good chop or some nice big swells it can out keep up to or out perform some of the bigger rigs.

Ouch!! You are pushing it pretty hard. My previous boat was a 17 1/2 ft Hourston with a 90 Merc. I ran it at 4200 which was good enough for 28mph.

At 5400, how far off your WOT are you?

It goes; 17'(16'11") Sea Ranger and Sea Chaser. 16'(15'11") Sea Explorer and Sea Chaser. So I think you bought a 16' Sea Explorer. In which case the 60hp should be fine. If it is in fact a 17' Sea Ranger then you will be underpowered with the 60. Most guys run 90's on their 17's. There is a difference of 6" of beam between the 16 and 17 footers. But whatever, you got a sweet boat, congrats! Sorry for the hijack...

Anyone know the answer to my original question?

Paid seller HST during purchase and he collected it as a business. The boat had a C number.

So... Any idea? I don't really think it would be appropriate to pay the HST twice considering he should be remitting the portion paid. Bill of sale says the HST amount, and bank draft receipt reflects that.

Answer is the HST registrant who is selling a vessel which was part of his business must charge HST on the sale, and remit that to Rev Canada...been there done that, been audited and was told we did it correctly.

Answer is the HST registrant who is selling a vessel which was part of his business must charge HST on the sale, and remit that to Rev Canada...been there done that, been audited and was told we did it correctly.

Sweet and thanks so much for the reply!

Back