do fish hear

JDR

ok, I made a housing for my go pro camera put it in and dropped it down around 100ft while out for some hali. After viewing the video,and I did see the odd fish, I noticed a lot of noise picked up by the camera when I lowered or brought the camera up. Noise of the line and real, so if u are noisey on your boat,and banging around,bumping your rod,etc. are you scareing away fish The old saying, be quiet when you fish could be true. Any thoughts..

Noise makes vibration.......fish can pick up on vibration.

Many species also do actually have inner ear structure in their heads.....

Unless the fish are about ten feet under your boat I don't think minor noise is going to upset them too much.

Recordings made by researchers show that it is a lot noisier underwater than most people think.....lots of ongoing "natural" noise made by things that live in the see and the sea itself....

It would depend on what type of noise it was as to whether it will attract fish...

Vibration frequency......Mhz level.......etc etc.

In a boat, the fish have heard you coming before you got there.....

Arbitrary banging and clattering around might not be the best scenario though.......

The topic of how sound is both transmiited and received in water is a really fascinating and cool topic.

How sound is transmitted is physics, how it is received: biology.

Sound travels like 5 times faster and farther in water than air. Very little sound produced in the air is transmitted across the air/water interface. How well sound is transmitted through the water depends upon the density (affected by temperature, salinity and type of reflecting surfaces on the bottom and on the surface of the water).

In WWII the "wolf packs" of U-Boats understood the dynamics of how sound is transmitted vertically through the water and how sound waves are bent (like light waves in a prism) when sound waves enter denser water (it's called "Snell's law").

So the U-Boats hid and travelled below the halocline at the mouth of the Mediterranean (Strait of Gibraltar) when they could or had to - where the ASDIC sonars from the British Fleet couldn't penetrate.

That's because the inflowing surface Atlantic waters were far less saline than the underlying Mediterranian waters.

Same thing would happen if you are fishing in the plume of surface run-off from a nearby river. Very little sound would make it to the bottom from your boat on the surface.

Apparently noises from wave action also overpowers and hides surface noise, as well.

Then there is the biology of how noises are received by the fish.

Fish hear via 2 mechanisms: the lateral line and the inner ear.

The lateral line is for nearby sounds such as vibrations, while the inner ear (i.e. otoliths) are used for farther away sounds. Apparently fish that commonly live in low visibility waters utilize their sound detection more.

The swimbladder (if the fish has one) can amplify sounds of a certain frequency if it resonates. Marine mammals (i.e. whales and dolphins/porpoises) utilize this effect when ecolocating fish.

Fish that don't have a swim bladder, or have a swim bladder that is not in close proximity, or mechanically connected to the ears -tend to have relatively poor auditory sensitivity, and generally cannot hear sounds at frequencies above 1 kHz.

The reverse situation means that fish can hear sounds above 3 KHz; often up to 4Khz with best hearing between 500-800Hz. The fish with the best hearing may be the herring family - some members can detect ultrasonic frequencies up to 180 kHz. It may be possible that this means that these fish can detect the ultrasonic clicks of dolphins. Herring also "fart" into their anuses from their swimbladders in order to produce sounds to communicate with each other, see:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn4343-fish-farting-may-not-just-be-hot-air.html

Many fish grunt and make low-pitched sounds to communicate, like the staghorn sculpin (an estuarine fish).

A lab that specializes in research on fish noises (appropriately headed by a guy named "Popper") with many peer-reviewed articles: http://www.life.umd.edu/biology/popperlab/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back