Diesel fuel?

Clipper

I have a new diesel truck on the way (Ford 6.7 Powerstroke) and as I have never owned a diesel before I have been reading a LOT about fuel and additives. These new diesels seem much more complex than any gas engine I have ever owned so I'm looking for any advice or info on what to feed it.

What brand of fuel is considered 'best' (cetane, lubricity?)? What additives are needed? Any? DEF is another mystery I'll have to figure out, I guess.

Any brand diesel fuel from a retailer that has newer tanks and has high sales voulme. Water is enemy #1 for the new diesels. Never ever use an emulsifier additive. Water through the high pressure injection system will damage the injectors. TF

Sound advise above. the best fuel additive for a common rail diesel engine is clean fuel. I always try to fill up from the high rate pump at the cardlock because it's tanks see the most volume, but that might not be an option for you. A retailer with a high volume of diesel sales (co-op's are often good for this as lots of contractors use them) is your best bet. Honestly, I have bought diesel from almost every retailer in every small town all over Vancouver Island and in between Vancouver and Saskatchewan and I've had maybe two watered out filters, and never an actual engine problem caused by fuel issues over hundreds of thousands of KMs on common rail fords. The fuel we get around here is of great quality IMO. Most fuel related issues I have had were south of the border. Additives do more harm then good, just keep an eye on your filters and water separator. DEF is no mystery, buy the cheapest DEF you can find. once your Ford is broken in, a full tank of DEF should last between oil changes.

I have a cardlock with Columbia Fuels here in the Riv.
I think they use Shell product, but I cannot complain about their products.

I have a 2011 with the 6.7 never put any additive in it, 155k on it and running like a charm, dam fine truck :)

I run a bottle of Prestone Diesel Injector Cleaner through a tank of fuel once a year. Other than that, never use additives. I'm not sure if it's just in my mind but my truck doesn't seem to like fuel from Petro Canada stations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like some good advice. Thanks. Getting antsy waiting for the truck to arrive so doing lots of reading about 'diesel' stuff. Looks like there is a lot of snake oil out there that probably isn't needed.

Any brand diesel fuel from a retailer that has newer tanks and has high sales voulme. Water is enemy #1 for the new diesels. Never ever use an emulsifier additive. Water through the high pressure injection system will damage the injectors. TF
This is good advice!

Part of the problem is all factory testing of diesels is with 50 cetane fuel. Most of what you get is 45 cetane fuel. I use a cetane booster sometimes, has an injector cleaner in the one I use, and always when towing mountains.
Cetane is the Octane rating of diesel.

Sound advise above. the best fuel additive for a common rail diesel engine is clean fuel. I always try to fill up from the high rate pump at the cardlock because it's tanks see the most volume, but that might not be an option for you. A retailer with a high volume of diesel sales (co-op's are often good for this as lots of contractors use them) is your best bet. Honestly, I have bought diesel from almost every retailer in every small town all over Vancouver Island and in between Vancouver and Saskatchewan and I've had maybe two watered out filters, and never an actual engine problem caused by fuel issues over hundreds of thousands of KMs on common rail fords.
The fuel we get around here is of great quality IMO. Most fuel related issues I have had were south of the border. Additives do more harm then good, just keep an eye on your filters and water separator. DEF is no mystery, buy the cheapest DEF you can find. once your Ford is broken in, a full tank of DEF should last between oil changes.

X2

I find running good engine oil prevents injector problems, I have never found a need to run additives. Just a money grab with no benefit.
Great engine just look after it. I'd say, good oil, fuel and water filters when advised and you shouldn't have any problems.

Back