DFO Targets Americans Fishing Area 121 for Halibut

I

islandphile

Latest from the DFO online licencing system website....Electronic licenses no longer sufficient for non-residents fishing for Hali in Area 121, they need paper licences purchased in person at a Canadian Outlet.

This is from the Fisheries website:

"Important Note Regarding Fishing for Halibut:

No person who is not a Canadian resident may fish for or retain halibut under an electronic licence in management area 121, as described in Schedule II of the Pacific Fishery Management Area Regulations. If you are a non-resident and wish to fish for halibut in management area 121 you must purchase a paper license from a vendor in Canada. Refunds will not be issued, so please ensure your licence selection is correct before you complete your transaction."

Thats the spirit, Spank the Yank! :D

quote:Originally posted by KoneZone

Thats the spirit, Spank the Yank! :D

Hi, KoneZone.

Sarcasm aside, this action was implemented because of American charter operators fishing illegally with clients within Canadian waters. We all know what would happen to an illegal alien working in the States. Canada is a very forgiving country, and many American charter operators were flagrantly violating our laws for years. It is hard enough making a living as a charter operator in Canada without illegal competition. That is why the online licence purchases were restricted in the trans-border waters. It's not picking on the poor Yanks. It's about protecting our fishery, and the few viable jobs still left in the industry here.

BTW - your flashers look like they're worth a try. I hear good things about them. They may just catch on in Canada yet.

TheBigGuy

I guess I'm confused here. I can understand any frustration on your part if there is NO license purchased and they are poaching fish. What's the difference if they paid non-resident prices for your license online and have proof of it versus a paper copy? If someone can explain to me what the big deal is, I'd like to know. As for Canada being forgivig BigGuy, don't think I can agree with you on that one. Ten years to wait to get into your country for a DUI (no accident no injuries) that happened when you were a dumb pup is assinine. As for the other way around, Canadians CAN buy an online non-resident license and come down here to fish if they choose. Just no reason to as the seasons here suck and the fishing isn't as good.

I've read these posts twice and am trying to understand everyone's viewpoint but I have one question.
Are you saying that if a Charter boat from the U.S. docks at a Canadian Marina and has his customers purchase a license, his boat can now legally take halibut in Canadian waters?

No, they just need a Canadian paper license to charter here. You just hop the Port Angeles ferry to Victoria, grab your licenses, hop back over, and drive to Neah Bay and fish. If I even THOUGHT about fishing in US waters, I would probably arrive home a few months later sans my boat. It is nothing to do with US and Canadian fisherman taking each others fish, it is a matter of reciprocating courtesey. I know of a LOT of dynamite hali spots in US waters, and am unable to fish them.

Furthermore, they don't "dock" at Canadian marinas, they just run across the straits. They are actually closer to the CAnadian pole position fishing grounds then Canadians.

Sounds to me like the Nat'l Marine Fisheries and the DFO need to work together to enforce each Country's laws in order to protect their interests.

quote:Originally posted by blindpig69

I As for Canada being forgivig BigGuy, don't think I can agree with you on that one. Ten years to wait to get into your country for a DUI (no accident no injuries) that happened when you were a dumb pup is assinine.

BPig....don't think YOUR country is wonderfully forgiving. I had a friend who got caught with a joint when he was 18 or 19, he is now almost 40 and he can't touch land in the US. He can not get a connecting flight to the Caribean via a US hub city.

Also....you may want to look at all the effort CDN's have to put forth now to get into your country. A passport is a must and this requirement has bogged down the system here horrendously although it is getting better now.

I am not bashing as I was just down in Seattle this weekend and also have travelled to the US for work for years. I find the people wonderfully friendly and I may get flamed for saying this, but I prefer dealing with my customers in the US compared to Canada. I find all in all people that I meet randomly (happens a lot when on the road solo for 2 weeks at a time) are much more friendly. But I do hear the opposite from AMericans when I am down there.

Out of curiosity, any idea what the "American" catch of halibut in Canadian Waters is?
And how is it reported as Canadian halibut by a charter out of the US which doesn't land at a Canadian port?
Just wondering.

Saw a cool CANADIAN FISHERIES plane ouy on wed on the banks, taking pics I'm sure. So for those fellas that think your fooling them. FORGET it! We have your number, to bad we are not as well armed!:D

From the American/Washington State Fishing regs.

It is lawful to possess Canadian-origin fi sh or SHELLFISH if you have a Canadian license and
salmon conservation stamp (for SALMON), except it is unlawful to possess yelloweye or canary
rockfi sh.
There are special rules for Canadian HALIBUT and SALMON. If you only fi sh in Canada, you can
possess the Canadian limit of three HALIBUT. If you fi sh for HALIBUT in Washington, the daily limit
is one HALIBUT, and the possession limit is two HALIBUT, regardless of where they are taken. No
more than one daily limit of HALIBUT may be possessed aboard the fi shing vessel.
SALMON taken from Canada and landed into Washington must meet the port possession limits in
Washington, unless you physically clear customs in Bedwell Harbour, Sydney, Ucluelet, Victoria,
or White Rock, and get your customs clearance number at the port. If you are in possession
of SALMON that would be unlawful if taken in Washington, you may not fi sh for SALMON in
Washington waters.
You may not land both a Canadian and a Washington limit of SALMON on the same day (one or
the other, but not both).

It is lawful for a Washington state resident to fish for and retain fish caught within BC. Providing the individual has the appropriate Canadian/BC fishing licences. However, it is not lawful for them pay an American guide to transport and guide them within BC. Guides from the US that do so are working illegally in Canada. I may be mistaken, but I believe non-residents are not permitted to fish in Alaska without an Alaskan guide. That is far more restrictive than our regulations. We are merely expecting American guides to keep their business clients within American waters. I can't simply wander over the border and begin working in the states. They should respect our borders and keep there guiding business to American waters, where they are legally licenced to do so.

Back