DFO so broke they are dis functional

fish4all

Ran into a couple of the top enforcement people for DFO yesterday. I was mentioning the gross abuse of the halibut resource by the natives in Port Hardy. There are trailer loads of Hali being shipped to china town. There reply was " we know, but we don't have any money to deal with it ". What a disgrace. Harper sucks.

Ran into a couple of the top enforcement people for DFO yesterday. I was mentioning the gross abuse of the halibut resource by the natives in Port Hardy. There are trailer loads of Hali being shipped to china town. There reply was " we know, but we don't have any money to deal with it ". What a disgrace. Harper sucks.

That's BS, its not money they're scared to take on the natives.

That's BS, its not money they're scared to take on the natives.

I call ******** also. not enough money sounds like a pretty lame excuse.

Should maybe look at the commercial guys that are selling fish to China Town......

Not sure I understand this comment. I can buy halibut from a commercial fisherman on the Comox dock. Is there some reason he wouldn't be able to sell fish to China Town as well?

Do you think all the fish caught on a commercial boat is accounted for and all sold legally? Don't think anyone would be stupid enough to believe that. I worked on commercial boats including a longlinner fishing halibut and on charters done for the IPHC. I know that when the fishery is done and the cameras are off the boat and the fishing is over......its not over. I have seen lines set for trade fish with other commerial fishermen and take home fish. I been at the dock watching commercial crew selling fish and trading it for liquor. I seen entire totes put in the back of trucks.

Here we have F-All pointing the finger at fisheries and natives. Maybe we should be taking a closer look at his friends in the industry.

Were they native commercially caught fish?
If so why can't they sell them to China town?

Are you upset because they may be selling them at a lower price?
If so this is not the place to look for sympathy. You commercial guys really need to get your own forum.

You may want to elaborate on the gross abuse part for more understanding at this end.

So why is it a big deal then if the natives sell halis to China Town? If the commercials can so why shouldn't the natives? Or does that competition ruin your pricing?

Do you think all the fish caught on a commercial boat is accounted for and all sold legally? Don't think anyone would be stupid enough to believe that. I worked on commercial boats including a longlinner fishing halibut and on charters done for the IPHC. I know that when the fishery is done and the cameras are off the boat and the fishing is over......its not over. I have seen lines set for trade fish with other commerial fishermen and take home fish. I been at the dock watching commercial crew selling fish and trading it for liquor. I seen entire totes put in the back of trucks.

Here we have F-All pointing the finger at fisheries and natives. Maybe we should be taking a closer look at his friends in the industry.

Great post FA. Our so called buddies on here would like everyone to believe it. They keep preaching how pure they are with their counts yet really nobody knows how many fish they catch. Nobody knows how many fish the natives catch either. Yet the gun is always pointed at the rec sector and we always take the beating.

Should we talk about the actions of the commercial crab and prawn fleet. Shall we look at in which ways they disobey closures and don't get fined. Probably not cause it would just show how weak we are and how we have yet to find a way to be noticed. Maybe we should all disobey the rules and watch the DFO ignore it cause there's nothing they can do but watch. Not saying we should but the commercials and the FN's have been doing it for decades.

Cant say it didn't happen prior to the cameras. the cameras are turned on before the boat leaves port and are not turned off till the boat returns to port. You have obviously been out of the fishery for quite some time. And we are talking about fsc fish not commercial fish caught under an FL license.

Chris73, is that the best you have? For someone with 1700+ posts i expected something a little more.... substantial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant say it didn't happen prior to the cameras. the cameras are turned on before the boat leaves port and are not turned off till the boat returns to port. You have obviously been out of the fishery for quite some time. And we are talking about fsc fish not commercial fish caught under an FL license.

Chris73, is that the best you have? For someone with 1700+ posts i expected something a little more.... substantial.

It is a third party company that reviews the film. Only 10% is viewed. How is that 100% accountable.

This is more outsourcing and "easy" button work by the DFO. All at the expense of the resource they are supposed to be looking after.

I was on board many vessels when the trips were over and watched all the gear including the cameras and gps module unit removed and sent the researchers off to catch their fights home. Trip was over but the boat still had to go back to its home port and along the way the gear was set in a number of locations. Do you really think you can pass the trash off on me that you speak? Get real.......

There's only a couple commercial fisheries I have not done...... and believe me I never met no saint.

Were they native commercially caught fish?
If so why can't they sell them to China town?

Are you upset because they may be selling them at a lower price?
If so this is not the place to look for sympathy. You commercial guys really need to get your own forum.

You may want to elaborate on the gross abuse part for more understanding at this end.
Ding ding ding!!!!! This ones a winner! Great post! I was thinking the same thing. The Chinese need to eat too...

Should we talk about the actions of the commercial crab and prawn fleet. Shall we look at in which ways they disobey closures and don't get fined. Probably not cause it would just show how weak we are and how we have yet to find a way to be noticed. Maybe we should all disobey the rules and watch the DFO ignore it cause there's nothing they can do but watch. Not saying we should but the commercials and the FN's have been doing it for decades.

On the groundfish boats I worked on the Camera goes on when the hydraulics are turned on, period, hauling gear without hydraulics is pretty tough. As with anything people who steal, poach, and break the law can be found in all walks of life.

It has been my experience that damn few people who point fingers are squeaky clean. For example, shall we look at all the ways sporty types have exceeded their 15 fish chinook alotment in the gulf this year and are still fishing? Shall we look at sporty types weeding through 20-40 coho to get their allotment of clipped coho, to heck with the morts. Shall we look at sporty types who commercially fish prawns all winter supplying the local restaurants.

In the past 20 years the DFO enforcement has made it much more difficult, ( not impossible ) for commies to cheat. If I was a sporty fishing the west coast I wouldn't complain. West coast trollers used to catch 400,000 chinook, 2,000,000 coho as many pinks as they could while they were on the grounds and a percentage of fraser sockeye and alberni sockeye. Now the allocation is 46,000 chinook and nothing else. For the most part they are not even on the water to bother all the sporties on the west coast.

Next time you are out you might want to look at the boats around you. Many more poachers than you might think.

Shall we look at all the ways all my sporty buddies have exceeded their 15 fish chinook alotment in the gulf this year and are still fishing?

You jealous cause a sports fishermen can be good at what they do?

They can continue to fish as long as its catch and release. Or are you saying your friends are poachers?

Lets see
change the date, erase an entry, lose your license and get a new one, etc etc etc.
Unlike most I have had my feet in all sectors, DFO, guiding, commie, rec angler fresh and salt.
I just get tired of one sector wonders who can't catch fish saying its all the fault of someone else.
Jealous of you................................................. I don't think so.
A 26 and an 18 caught jigging 2 nights ago, no boats within 1/2 a mile of my location, very enjoyable indeed.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 288
Back