DFO Seized 250 Illegal Traps in English Bay

Since the 80's DFO enforcement has had a hands off policy when it comes to.....well not the second nations class of people in Canada but the ones before us. So if you think anything will come of these traps and who owns them, well I can all but guarantee it won't. I saw this for almost all of my 40 year commercial career. Until we get a government that can figure out a way to get reconciliation completed and we get to be just one class of people in this country we as the second class will continue to get screwed in everything we do here. I'm 67 and have no expectations that this would happen in my life time but just try to work around the BS and not lose any sleep over the rest. Again JMHO

If they are dropping strings of unmarked sets (no buoys), it would be a great idea to note the GPS location and call it in.
I’ve done that four times this year and am yet to see any action from DFO or police. These guys come out off the NA of Fraser which is right under DFO’s radar. It’s not like they don’t already know who’s who.

I’ve done that four times this year and am yet to see any action from DFO or police. These guys come out off the NA of Fraser which is right under DFO’s radar. It’s not like they don’t already know who’s who.
Great to hear you are calling in every time you witness these events. A lot of people may not know that all reports are logged and the more that come in, the higher the priority that is assigned to a particular problem. If we give up thinking nothing comes from the reports, then the numbers of reports will drop and no one in upper C&P management realizes there is actually a larger issue brewing. As in most businesses, supervisors fly desks and are driven by reports and numbers. The greater the number and accuracy of reports, the more likely limited Officer resources are directed to a particular problem.

If they are dropping strings of unmarked sets (no buoys), it would be a great idea to note the GPS location and call it in.
Absolutely - I dont know about you, but I have trouble replacing 1 missing trap.. Let alone 250. Does not matter who owns ghost traps.. if its not marked it can be pulled..

The aluminum boat was out there again today hard at work. Out in water way too deep for a free diver this time. But it’s all under the cover of a food fishery.

I really hope DFO is working hard behind the scenes with some criminal charges pending. They did catch someone doing just this in Burrard Inlet a few years back with charges after a stakeout.
If your anchor snags a string.. I am sure you can call it in with the exact cordinates.

I wonder if these two are connected or if the problem is much bigger than anyone suspects with both Asian and First Nation Mafia actively involved. Meanwhile good luck catching a legal crab or a crab of any size at Jericho today.
If you cant get the poacher. Get the traps. Get wholesalers. Make the whole thing too expensive to be worth while. If the financial incentive is removed.. I imagine the problem would start to go away. Hard to keep replacing expensive traps.... harder still if no one is willing to buy your poached/stolen products.

It’s more than just English bay it’s from the US border to English bay. Why don’t dfo instead of focusing on natives ( hands off policy) they follow the pick up trucks with fish totes in them and go after the restaurants and markets that are buying this illegally caught crab

hese guys are running an industrial scale operation, with plenty of markets overseas.

They don't need markets overseas, they sell them right in Vancouver labeled as Washington state crab or oregon crab. It allows them to sell smaller crab. Long ago Chinatown markets were part of the downtowns office regular patrol.

Why not just take them?

DFO knows what the musqueam band is up to, Put it this way if everyone in the band ate all the FSC crab they caught they would all be dead from either shellfish poisoning or from heart attacks from all the cholesterol. Last i head is that DFO upper management has a hands off approach for the home of the boy wonder sparrow.

I think the mystery at this point is why DFO all a sudden decided to go drag this area.

I think the mystery at this point is why DFO all a sudden decided to go drag this area.
Once they were given exact coordinates of one set of traps by the free diver their hands were forced to drag the area. If they were actually interested in making an arrest you would think a stakeout waiting for these criminals to come and retrieve a ghost trap whose location was known would have been more appropriate. So a bunch of traps for a headline and no arrests. Another great job by :mad:DFO.

DFO should watch Northwoods Law or Lone Star law to learn how COs patrol at night.

Or just contact our CO service they somewhat know how to do it, they do it in delta all fall during duck season with night vision and infrared. ( um not that I would know, I mean I heard they do that)

It’s a whole public relations thing. “Hey look we are doing something about illegal crab fishing.” that’s why every year they drag boundary bay and get 300+ traps more P.R.. they brought the hovercraft over to drag boundary bay imagine the bill for that, and no arrests, its all smoke and mirrors. The general public doesn’t care that they are over harvesting crab and salmon. They are all pour First Nations they deserve to fish and make a living bla bla bla b.s.

One county in Texas probably has more officers than all of BC.
No surprise there....talked to one of my customers in Texas 2 months ago, and they were fully vaccinated from age 16 up....here in Third World Canada, Trudope can't organize his way out of a wet paper bag. Couldn't get vaccines until every other modern country was completely vaccinated or was sending us their cast off's. He treats gangsters with more respect and courtesy than every day law abiding citizens. Takes away guns from law abiding citizens, and makes it a catch and release "gee I hope we didn't hurt your feelings" encounter when the cops catch a gangster with illegal guns and drugs...this country is a **** show and getting more in debt by the day when no one can work due to delays addressing Covid. But at least we can go fishing.

Oh did I mention, he has great hair. That will save us for sure.

No surprise there....talked to one of my customers in Texas 2 months ago, and they were fully vaccinated from age 16 up....here in Third World Canada, Trudope can't organize his way out of a wet paper bag. Couldn't get vaccines until every other modern country was completely vaccinated or was sending us their cast off's. He treats gangsters with more respect and courtesy than every day law abiding citizens. Takes away guns from law abiding citizens, and makes it a catch and release "gee I hope we didn't hurt your feelings" encounter when the cops catch a gangster with illegal guns and drugs...this country is a **** show and getting more in debt by the day when no one can work due to delays addressing Covid. But at least we can go fishing.

Oh did I mention, he has great hair. That will save us for sure.
Yeah - we can go fishing as along as its for ling....

Back