DFO Fishing Activity Reporting

Slydog

Any consequences for not reporting to DFO when a license has been selected? Even fewer fishing opportunities?, can’t apply next year? Whisked away in the middle of the night never to be seen again?
I’m asking for a friend.

Its a condition of license and under the new ticketing regime the charge is 872 dollars or there abouts. I know they do track who does it but if you "forget to do it" is one thing, but if you write in slagging comments telling DFO to pound sand the officers chasing that down may circle back and show more commitment and interest in charges.

It would never stand up in court.
This survey can only be done online
If an individual is technology challenged it can't be held against them.

I got randomly picked for July.
I know it was just a few weeks ago, but that took some serious memory power to try and get all the requested information in.

I forgot to do it and three months later I decided to log in and get it done. Well guess what it said that it was no longer available.

$780! I better tow the line. DFO’s IT department has probably matched my ip address to this site and when I bought my license online. But seriously, this is something that should asked to participate on a voluntary basis and not mandated. I for one do not wish to share how my leisure time is spent with this government, however since I outed myself and now on their radar I have no choice.
I told them if they want a report pick me for September

I got selected and I'm doing it for August, so far I've only been out 5 times this month. Its random so that's why I'm doing the reports. This way they can see I'm not putting out pressure on the stocks. But agree that its a waste of time, DFO should mainly focus on the guides as they are the ones putting pressure on the fishery. They are out almost everyday, makes sense to me. Oh well, DFO will get it 10yrs or more from now, in the mean time, they keep putting pressure on the sporty to actually give honest reports. That is one good thing they get from us. Not reporting after being selected just draws more suspicion, so why not do it?

I got selected and I'm doing it for August, so far I've only been out 5 times this month. Its random so that's why I'm doing the reports. This way they can see I'm not putting out pressure on the stocks. But agree that its a waste of time, DFO should mainly focus on the guides as they are the ones putting pressure on the fishery. They are out almost everyday, makes sense to me. Oh well, DFO will get it 10yrs or more from now, in the mean time, they keep putting pressure on the sporty to actually give honest reports. That is one good thing they get from us. Not reporting after being selected just draws more suspicion, so why not do it?
When I guided in Tofino it was mandatory for us to fill in daily log books as well as collect dna for the last 7 years of my career

Any consequences for not reporting to DFO when a license has been selected? Even fewer fishing opportunities?, can’t apply next year? Whisked away in the middle of the night never to be seen again?
I’m asking for a friend.
One way to look at it, is if if there are no fish being caught there must be no fish so gotta close it to save the survivors. That's been part of DFO/NGO policy

When I guided in Tofino it was mandatory for us to fill in daily log books as well as collect dna for the last 7 years of my career
You are probably the one of a few that would be this diligent to keeping records for DFO. I heard about your days as a guide as I once sot you out for a trip but then went out with a sub person for your business.

You are probably the one of a few that would be this diligent to keeping records for DFO. I heard about your days as a guide as I once sot you out for a trip but then went out with a sub person for your business.
When we started around 2010 we pretty well had to or we were going to get shut down for Chinooks on the inside

just submitted my DFO Fishing Activity Reporting, again am I doing the right thing?

Good on everyone who completes the survey and for guides completing log books and conducting DNA sampling. Many of the opportunities we currently have are as a result of having quality stock composition and run timing data to verify that stocks of concern are not encountered in the recreational fishery.

Its all about having solid and reliable data to help better inform how we can plan fisheries that are sustainable and avoid impacting weak stocks.

DFO struggles with capturing data from the recreational fishery, and also struggles with defining acceptable levels of weak stock encounters - after all, fish have tails and there is no absolute level of precision that can be applied other than full fishery closure if there is not some reasonable and sustainable level of risk tolerance. In other words, achieving a balance between acceptable risk and supporting social and economic fishery opportunities. Circling back, your data is absolutely critical in helping address gaps in stock composition and run timing data that will help better inform and plan sustainable fisheries.

Back