DFO Fisheries Cleanup

Dennis.t

I noticed something interesting this morning. What did you see Dennis.t? Well guys I saw three fisheries trucks pass by me on their way to the Chilliwack Land fill. All three were loaded down with fishing nets and floats! Im thinking they did a big cleanup on the Fraser river and pulled all the illegal poachers nets out of the water recently! Now if they could clean up the riff raff on the Chilliwack river! Tons and tons of foul hooked gum boot Chums and Springs being retained by the "me no speak engrish" crowd.

Now, if only they went and took out all of the rock/ling cod jigging lures from the local stores...

Why are retailers allowed to sell product for a fishery that is closed in all of the local waters?

I am speaking of the cod fishing that is done by the same crowd of people.

The poachers would likely just go get the gear elsewhere, but at least we aren't supporting the poaching effort through local sales of products to target these closed species.

For example, I saw a staff member at Army and Navy fully equip a man and his 3 children for cod fishing off of land in Vancouver.....Shameful.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, if only they went and took out all of the cod jigging lures, rigs, and rods from the local stores...

Why are retailers allowed to sell product for a fishery that is closed in all of the local waters?

I am speaking of the cod fishing that is done by the same crowd of people.

The poachers would likely just go get the gear elsewhere, but at least we aren't supporting the poaching effort through local sales of products to target these closed species.

For example, I saw a staff member at Army and Navy fully equip a man and his 3 children for cod fishing off of land in Vancouver.....Shameful.

My 2 cents.

Do you suppose that anyone in the local area might fish for bottom fish off the coast? I love cod jigs for halibut fishing and I'd be really annoyed if I couldn't buy them and jigging rods and reels locally. Seems like a bad, short-sighted idea to me.

Yes - I am one of those people who fish for bottom fish off the coast....

I would give up the convenience factor to help to stem the poaching on the Vancouver side, but maybe that's just me.

I guess the convenience factor is worth promoting poaching for some people, but as a fisherman in my late 20's, I have future generations to consider with my present day actions....particularly when it is simply a "convenience" issue..

Yes - I am one of those people who fish for bottom fish off the coast....

I would give up the convenience factor to help to stem the poaching on the Vancouver side, but maybe that's just me.

I guess the convenience factor is worth promoting poaching for some people, but as a fisherman in my late 20's, I have future generations to consider with my present day actions....particularly when it is simply a "convenience" issue..

You must be kidding?

I understand your frustration re any type of illegal fishing/poaching and appreciate you are searching for answers to curtail illegal fishing activities but your idea/conclusion seems to have come before much thought and therefore has little logic and misses a ton.
I agree with the idea of curtailing "bottom" fishing in general in Vancouver but stopping the sale of tackle is rediculous especially when its legal to bottom fish in many areas in Vancouver. You are forgetting ( or aren't aware) that there are "bottom" species on the Vancouver side other than the non-retention of Lingcod and Rockfish. Many other "bottom" fish are legal outside of RCA's and 'certain' people like to catch these with jigs or other "bottom" fishing gear. These fish include codfish (Pacific Cod/Tomcod), flounders/sole, Greenling, Cabezon(sculpins) and DOGFISH (often on bottom). All sorts of jig lures, and various other tackle that are used to catch bottom fish also can be used for Salmon too. Quite simply you would have to get rid of just about all fishing tackle and gear(line, lead, hooks, reels, rods etc etc ) that could successfully catch bottom fish from every Vancouver tackle store..... ludicrous idea obviously.

Opinions are great and I appreciate all opinions however they should at least be developed via knowing the facts first. "Illegal fishing" has to illegal first..AND before we start closing down Vancouver tackle shops!

1. I am not kidding, but yes, I mayhave exaggerated significantly..

2. If you agree with trying to curtail poaching, which is 95% of your post intended to put me down, rather than being productive.. classy move....

3. I know plenty of facts, thank you very much.

4. Removing a few grubs and such wouldn't be putting any tackle shops under.

5. The comments were intended to facilitate conversation about how to prevent the poaching, not give you a chance to speak down to me in a condescending fashion.

6. Why do you keep quoting me on the word "illegal", as I never once used it in my prior posts.

7. Anyone with common sense would know that a post about closed Vancouver cod fishing was intended to mean rock and ling cod..... you are just looking to stir up the pot and are capitalizing on my lack of specifics...

That sounds the same as banning all firearms will prevent crime.

That sounds the same as banning all firearms will prevent crime.

Ironic that this comment comes from a member with the name "Gunsmith"

Way to add some valuable input, champ.

Controlling firearm sales helps to prevent crime... no need to ban guns entirely.

Controlling species specific tackle would be similar to controlling gun sales.

That being said, I see the validity in Peahead's comment about how it would be difficult (impossible) to determine what exactly is and isn't used for ling/rock cod.

Dennis - sorry to have derailed your thread that was focusing on river cleanup.

My apologies.

Dennis - sorry to have derailed your thread that was focusing on river cleanup.

My apologies.
Its okay bro. Things can and do get out of hand from time to time. Lets get the this thread back on the rails. The DFO office is just down the street from my house. I see their trucks all the time driving around in town. Funny thing is I never see them doing any enforcement on the Chilliwack river of which they operate very close too. In 30 yrs of fishing the Vedder, I can remember being checked only 4 times. Have never been checked, not once on the Fraser. Maybe they have other duties of which consist of driving around town a lot?

Its okay bro. Things can and do get out of hand from time to time. Lets get the this thread back on the rails. The DFO office is just down the street from my house. I see their trucks all the time driving around in town. Funny thing is I never see them doing any enforcement on the Chilliwack river of which they operate very close too. In 30 yrs of fishing the Vedder, I can remember being checked only 4 times. Have never been checked, not once on the Fraser. Maybe they have other duties of which consist of driving around town a lot?

Do you really want to be hassled all the time. Never mind what everyone else is doing just go and fish and follow the regs. I for one am not interested in getting checked every five minutes imop its illegal questioning without cause. How would you like to be pulled over once a day just to check if you had a licence. Seems a waste to me. If cops didnt have to be so PC they could clean things up in about 5 minutes and cut out the bs.

Do you really want to be hassled all the time. Never mind what everyone else is doing just go and fish and follow the regs. I for one am not interested in getting checked every five minutes imop its illegal questioning without cause. How would you like to be pulled over once a day just to check if you had a licence. Seems a waste to me. If cops didnt have to be so PC they could clean things up in about 5 minutes and cut out the bs.
I follow the law and fish ethically. I would love to be checked more often. Then I would know, their doing there jobs properly.

Now, if only they went and took out all of the rock/ling cod jigging lures from the local stores...

I asked the same question to Fish and Wildlife as to why Wholesale Sports in Nanaimo, was selling incense style sticks that burn and smoke in various scents to attract bears. F&W replied they could buy them and use them outside of BC. :(

Back