Islandgirl

John Cummins, M.P.

Delta-Richmond East

www.johncummins.ca
News Release

July 9, 2010

MORE SHARP DEALING BY DFO

or THE CHAOS ON THE FRASER CONTINUES

DELTA, BC— “I never cease to be amazed that the Department of Fisheries can find new ways to shaft fishermen in their ongoing mismanagement of the Fraser River,” said John Cummins, M.P., Delta-Richmond East.

“The latest shot is stunningly devious but well worth unraveling if you care about salmon and those who harvest them legally” he said.

Indian Bands along the lower Fraser River have been fishing salmon supposedly for food social and ceremonial (FSC) purposes on a weekly basis since June 6th. The first FSC fisheries targeted Chinook. Sockeye fisheries began August 1st.

Total reported FSC sockeye catch to date by Lower Fraser River native bands is 85,384. That includes 34,400 caught August 1st and 50,177 caught August 8th.

Regular commercial fishermen have not fished sockeye for four years. On Friday July 30th DFO advised them of a possible opening Wednesday August 4th. The opening was denied Tuesday August 3rd due to limits on the “early miscellaneous portion of the Early Summer run” in the river.

Concern about the “early miscellaneous portion” did not stop native sockeye fisheries in the river which have been on going on a daily basis since August 2nd.

On Saturday July 31st native FSC fisheries were so successful nets were sinking and boats were offloading late into the evening in Steveston. There was no monitoring of the fishery – no DFO presence.

Recognizing that if this had been an all citizen’s commercial fishery DFO would have been out in force one fisherman went to the Steveston Fisheries office and asked why fisheries officers weren’t monitoring the fishery. The response by the fishery officer on duty - “it’s all political.”

Friday August 6th the Department announced the first all citizen’s commercial opening on the Fraser River in four years. The three hour fishery will begin at 2p.m. Tuesday August 10th.

Three hours! And to rub salt in the wound the Musqueam will be fishing commercially for twelve hours today the day before the commercial opening and the Tsawwassen will be fishing commercially for six hours.

With heavy and virtually nonstop FSC fishing from Monday August 2nd to Sunday August 8th and twelve hours of commercial fishing on Monday August 9th experience shows there will be little or no fish in the upper parts of the river on Tuesday for the all Canadian Commercial fleet.

As well conceding an opening to the Musqueam a day after a very successful communal fishery makes it very easy for those who would flaunt the law to move fish caught under a communal licence into the market place along with legitimately caught commercial fish.

Adequately separating AFS and commercial fisheries to discourage this practice was recommended by the Fraser Inquiry as well as other inquiries into the Fraser fishery and is a practice endorsed by government.

In fisheries cases courts have cautioned government that the honour of the Crown can be brought into disrepute by sharp dealing with natives.

Given that fish are a public resource and that government’s responsibility is to manage that resource for all Canadians, government should recognize that sharp dealing with any citizen including commercial fisherman can bring the honour of the Crown into disrepute.

(613) 992-2957, (cell) (604) 970-0937, (604) 940-8040

or www.johncummins.ca

62802394477903127812153.jpg

Is this guy for real..? Why is he commenting on something which he apparently has no clue about?

As far as I know the only fiduciary responsabilty that DFO has is to the natives.. not the commercial sector</u>!

I can't for the life of me get why this guy is trying to be such a protagonist? Do you feel empathy for his story? I don't...

Actually, John Cummins is a commercial fisherman from way back. His knowledge of fishing is quite good - though he does come at it with the bias of a commercial fisherman.

I know John personally, and I have friends who are on his campaign team.

I don't agree with everything that John says, but he is passionate about fishing.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Back