DFO estimates are terrible. So sad.

That is all in the past as you posted they are getting an additional 25 million, right?

So, how many years do you think it will take to get the estimates to be say within 20% of actual on a regular basis?

Thanks for taking the time to provide more context and details to everyone on this forum, Shuswap. I actually do know that there is "more to stock assessment than stream walk surveys (although very important nonetheless)" - but thank you for expanding the discussion over stock assessment - including the other potential tools in the toolbox. Speaking of which - there used to be a number of "historic" marine-based test fisheries that have been discontinued, as well as a few fish fences.

No, the department has not: "left the North Coast", but realistically - has been very reduced in it's capacity to provide meaningful stock assessment to help regulate fisheries properly. That is really the point I would like to make - and have been trying to make. Let me give you another example:

This summer DFO allowed a "limited" (nice vague, blurry motherhood statement here - like "sustainable" aquaculture) troll fishery in Areas 6 through 8. ok - also said it was "abundance-based" - which is to me another meaningless way to say - "If we are not catching much here - we will move on". Not really a risk-adverse way to manage a fishery considering that fish often stage before entering watersheds and inlets - and even in lowered abundances (i.e. marine abundance-based end points set on what abundance estimates??) - could be as good as it gets for the returns this year. There is likely a number of weak stocks that could be inadvertently targeted this way - but guess what - not only do we not have sufficient stock assessment to know what stocks are "at risk", but even if we did - we couldn't tell them apart because the coho DNA baseline is abysmal.

The reason why we don't know what stocks are at risk is twofold: 1/ as English stated: "The number of NCC streams with escapement estimates peaked in the mid-1980s at over 1500 streams, declined to less than 1000 streams in 1994, and reached an all-time low of 476 streams in 2014." (i.e. no stock trajectories available to look at abundances and TACs - and gauge "risk"), and 2/ many of the streamwalks were terminated, and even from the few existing streamwalks - nobody collects coho DNA, since the streamwalks now normally terminate too early to get coho DNA. W/o an adequate DNA baseline - you cannot risk manage an intercept fishery that potentially intercepts weak stocks, because you cannot identify either watershed of origin, or CU.

BUT lets just call it "abundance-based" and carry-on, shall we??

I know DFO stock assessment is doing the best it can given the funding restraints it has. Again - that is my point.
http://cms.nortia.org/Org/Org161/Images/Minutes/DFO PICFI presentation.pdf

Thanks for the quotes from the PSC - but if you already knew about the 20% admin fees - not sure why you questioned me on it:Maybe you can provide a direction for that conversation?

I doubt if much of that money is targetted for stock assessment, OBD. Seems they are hiring lots of computer modellers - esp. ones w FVcom experience - for the fish farm modelling...

Can you say the words: "Planning for expansion??"...

Last edited:
Some info:

I read where the Chinook catch estimates for the "northern Lodges' was around 60K Chinook. I believe the Alaska sports Chinook catch is around 60K Chinook.
The WA ocean Chinook catch was around 15K Chinook (half of their quota). Puget Sound Chinook catch is around 2K. That leaves souther BC, Oregon, & the rivers.

Some opinions:

I think that a high forecast/abundance index mainly benefits the commercial northern troll fishery (SEAK & BC) as these estimates directly affect catch quota. As for Lodges/guides/charters, yeah I am sure high numbers help hype sales, but depending on business location open season's & catch limits MAY not be dependent on estimates/abundance. (This kinda bugs me as in the early 1990's BC was on a course to "eliminate" commercial fishing for the Chinook/Coho as the government seemed convinced that the recreation catch was WAY better for the economy.) Down here in WA the FN's get 50% of every species, & the rec sector get's the bulk of non-FN Coho Chinook with the non-FN commercials getting the bulk of the plankton eaters. Don't have any data for BC, but this year in SEAK the price for Chinook was $5 (US) per pound with an average fish weight of around 10 lb (gutted I assume).

FYI the Wild Fish Conservatory believes that we need to stop fishing so hard up north & move to more of "terminal area" fisheries as it better protects the weaker stocks.

Too much rain ….
by Jeremy Maynard
Readers may recall it was barely two months ago when I was bemoaning the lack of rain for coastal streams and the fish that live in them – my oh my, how things have changed! After possibly the wettest October in years a succession of heavy precipitation events at months end and into November have rivers large and small up in the trees in many cases and now it’s a case of too much rain, a sign of a climate environment badly out of balance.

And the timing couldn’t be worse for area salmon stocks, with fish either at peak spawning activity (chinook and chums) or with un-eyed eggs already in the gravel (pinks). Until salmon and trout eggs reach the eyed stage they are particularly vulnerable to shock from movement and given the water roaring down most river systems I have to think there’s been some shock-induced egg loss, to say nothing of gravel being shifted with the complete loss of any eggs within. Perhaps only coho are somewhat buffered against present circumstances, both because of their usually later spawning time and the fact that in many instances they like to move right up into the headwater creeks where the flows are much smaller.

One river in particular that has been hit hard by extreme flows is the Campbell River which, because of the chain of impounded lakes above the river itself to allow for hydroelectric power generation, is usually protected from the wild swings of river flow. But not this time. With torrential rain on the high ground developing in-flows to the lake system that at times in recent days have exceeded 1,000 cubic meters per second (m3/s) BC Hydro has had no option but to discharge water down the old water course below John Hart dam and over Elk Falls, which flows through the canyon and into the main Campbell River. To give some sense to these volumes one cubic meter contains 1,000 liters or 222 imperial/263 US gallons of water – you can do the rest of the math and imagine it all.

The spill, as these events are termed, initially increased to 120 m3/s but was quickly further increased to 330 m3/s, about three times the river flow itself. Once almost an afterthought as a place for salmon to spawn and rear as juveniles, over the past decade considerable work has gone into understanding and then enhancing the stream habitat of the canyon below Elk Falls, most particularly by adding gravel. The gravel beds and the eggs within are thought to be stable with flows up to 45 m3/s but with water now being discharged at 7 times that volume through the canyon it’s hard to be optimistic about the consequences.

This turn of events is particularly troubling because there’s every indication that the Campbell and Quinsam watershed has had the largest return of both chinook and chum salmon in some years. This river system is a chinook indicator stream in the management regime overseen by the Pacific Salmon Commission (Canada/US treaty) and as such considerable effort is made to enumerate all the chinook salmon spawning in it. The assessment has been already complicated by the persistent high flows which have caused the main counting fence panels at the Quinsam hatchery to be lifted, meaning that an untold number of salmon of all species were free to migrate upstream uncounted, adding a large area to the territory the deadpitch crews must now try and cover.

Despite the uncertainty there’s been a building sense by hatchery staff that the Campbell/Quinsam chinook return is a good news story, the only – big - unknown is to what degree. Even though the usual chinook broodstock capture program was unable to operate because the seining site was underwater the hatchery easily achieved the 4.25 million egg-take target from swim-in fish and has now been sending chinook, 400 females and four or more times as many males, upstream. These fish get double hole-punched in the right gill plate to indicate that they have already been accounted for. The deadpitch crews, the 2 and 3 person teams that hike the rivers each day in a predetermined sequence, were reporting lots of chinook in the Quinsam river downstream of the hatchery and a good showing in the Campbell itself, at least before the current extreme high water flow.

The high flows will flush salmon carcasses out of the system before they can be counted; in addition the deadpitch crews are reporting considerable bear activity, with numerous partially eaten carcasses being discovered some distance back in the trees. All these factors will make determining a final chinook count a considerable challenge, with completed assessment several months away.

And chums – what a fall for these salmon around the inner south coast, with large to very large returns being reported from most river systems. The five weeks of commercial fishing in Johnstone Strait by the seine, gillnet and troll sectors resulted in a combined harvest of 1.34 million fish, almost certainly a record. Weather permitting commercial fisheries are now underway in various terminal areas along the east coast of Vancouver Island as all the principle chum-producing river systems have exceeded their escapement targets, in some cases by a considerable margin.

In the Fraser River the chum return has been assessed at 2 million fish or better but commercial opportunities for harvest there have been constrained once again by the need to minimize impact on co-migrating coho and steelhead, with the Area E gillnet boats having only two 10 hour long openings in the lower river. For interior Fraser steelhead the assessed return this year has been very poor, comparable to the sockeye return. Why chums as fellow open ocean migrants have done so well while other salmon species with roughly the same marine distribution have fared so badly will be a challenge to researchers in coming up with a probable explanation.

And for those of you who celebrate the grisly execution of an early 17th century religious terrorist in England, happy Guy Fawkes Day!

Thanks for taking the time to provide more context and details to everyone on this forum, Shuswap. I actually do know that there is "more to stock assessment than stream walk surveys (although very important nonetheless)" - but thank you for expanding the discussion over stock assessment - including the other potential tools in the toolbox. Speaking of which - there used to be a number of "historic" marine-based test fisheries that have been discontinued, as well as a few fish fences.

You're welcome. What I have gathered from these forums is that there are many folks that do not know what stock assessment is and it's role in the overall picture. It's important to note, however, that it's much more of an observation rather than a criticism. This stuff doesn't get relayed people in a digestible manner. The people that are engaged in stock assessment are seldom dealing with the public like their other colleagues do on a regular basis. I don't blame people for not knowing something that others have been doing for years. Contrary to what others might believe, one can't Google their way through this and claim they know what stock assessment is and what is done. There are things you will never find on Google unless you have experienced it.

I believe no one is beyond criticism as I think everyone can learn something and reflect, but I do believe that comment should be fair and informed.

No, the department has not: "left the North Coast" (thank 'ya), but realistically - has been very reduced in it's capacity to provide meaningful stock assessment to help regulate fisheries properly. That is really the point I would like to make - and have been trying to make.

With all due respect, it was you that indicated that there was "no DFO presence there at all" and made specific reference to the Skeena area as evidence. Well, that's not true and I provided evidence in the articles you posted to show that. That's how we got here. This is why I made reference to fair and informed comment above. Be critical all you want and say that stock assessment it's what it used to be there, but don't tell me there's no DFO presence when clearly there is, even though it is not in the role you may believe it should be. There was data in those slides provided by individuals I know very well so it wasn't going to slip by me unnoticed.

Now you want to pivot to resource management which I concede I don't always agree with either. However, I understand they have a tough, unenviable job dealing with stakeholders on a regular basis which I would never sign up and I'm sure many here wouldn't either. Again, I'm not denying that there are data gaps and shortfalls in funding. I guess over the next 3 years we will have to see whether the Wild Salmon Policy gets more traction than it was getting over the last 10 years to address those concerns noted. On the topic of DNA, I would be a little more reserved in putting a lot faith in the necessity of needing this information for management purposes because we won't be able to identify watershed of origin or CU. The resolution to identify wild Pacific Salmon to the watershed of origin using DNA is not there. Those that think we can get down to the level of the stream have watched too much CSI. Even at a much higher level of the CU, though more certain, can still have considerable error attached to it. This comes from the people that actually work with stock ID. There are probabilities associated with these results where information can suggest that an individual is more likely to be from one CU over another, but it's a probability distribution based on models and what priors are incorporated into it. Some areas of the Fraser watershed can be hundreds kilometres away, but be very difficult to distinguish using DNA - even to the CU level. Yes, gathering for baseline is important, but it's not the promised land either. Not saying that DNA is useless, but it one of many pieces of data and it's limitations need to be considered, not just the benefits.

I know DFO stock assessment is doing the best it can given the funding restraints it has. Again - that is my point.
http://cms.nortia.org/Org/Org161/Images/Minutes/DFO PICFI presentation.pdf

Thanks for the quotes from the PSC - but if you already knew about the 20% admin fees - not sure why you questioned me on it, earlier:Maybe you can provide a direction for that conversation?

With respect to this, what I was doing was challenging your initial contention that DFO was charging a 20% administration fee for funds they allegedly administer. That's how it started. I disagreed with your claim.

Another wasted day when I could have gone out fishing. Weather was looking OK today. I was up nice and early, so thought I'd check the wind forecast at environment Canada. 15-25 knot winds forecast. So, I just thought I'll just go another day. Checking on the live wind reports now it is only 5 mph on the Straight off Sand Heads. Same thing the last time it wasn't raining and looked decent. I have wasted quite a few opportunities to go out lately because of their strong wind forecasts.

Seems that the two departments are neck and neck for who has the poorer forecasting ability. They both have one thing in common the conservatives slashed both departments budgets deeply while they were in office. I swear a ouija board would out perform their forecasting ability.

Another wasted day when I could have gone out fishing. Weather was looking OK today. I was up nice and early, so thought I'd check the wind forecast at environment Canada. 15-25 knot winds forecast. So, I just thought I'll just go another day. Checking on the live wind reports now it is only 5 mph on the Straight off Sand Heads. Same thing the last time it wasn't raining and looked decent. I have wasted quite a few opportunities to go out lately because of their strong wind forecasts.

Seems that the two departments are neck and neck for who has the poorer forecasting ability. They both have one thing in common the conservatives slashed both departments budgets deeply while they were in office. I swear a ouija board would out perform their forecasting ability.
Yeah, not having absolute certainty sucks. It would make life so much easier.

This paper posted by GLG highlights many of the challenges and questions that face forecasters:
http://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/365564.pdf

Last edited:
That is all in the past as you posted they are getting an additional 25 million, right?

So, how many years do you think it will take to get the estimates to be say within 20% of actual on a regular basis?

Like a couple of other posters on this thread I have worked in the stock assessment business as well. In answer to this question I would say that for most populations the answer is "never". Particularly as climate variability appears to be increasing and both marine and freshwater ecosystems are responding in ways outside of their previously (somewhat) better understood dynamics. Precisely and accurately measuring the metrics used for forecasting (escapement, catch, freshwater and marine survival, age composition) is hard enough, accurate forecasting is even harder, and in some cases, impossible. I agree with posts above that fishery biologists and managers need to do a better job of communicating to stakeholders as to what type of forecast goals are achievable. I do not work for DFO, but I really feel for DFO scientists and managers. They frequently operate without adequate resources, and are the object of the (understandable) anger and frustration of stakeholders. IMO the best things that can be done going forward is defaulting to conservative harvest regulations for all sectors; cooperation and understanding between and among DFO managers and scientists and harvest sectors (rec, com, fn); and cooperative political pressure by these groups for more resources to be devoted to fishery science.

Like a couple of other posters on this thread I have worked in the stock assessment business as well. In answer to this question I would say that for most populations the answer is "never". Particularly as climate variability appears to be increasing and both marine and freshwater ecosystems are responding in ways outside of their previously (somewhat) better understood dynamics. Precisely and accurately measuring the metrics used for forecasting (escapement, catch, freshwater and marine survival, age composition) is hard enough, accurate forecasting is even harder, and in some cases, impossible. I agree with posts above that fishery biologists and managers need to do a better job of communicating to stakeholders as to what type of forecast goals are achievable. I do not work for DFO, but I really feel for DFO scientists and managers. They frequently operate without adequate resources, and are the object of the (understandable) anger and frustration of stakeholders. IMO the best things that can be done going forward is defaulting to conservative harvest regulations for all sectors; cooperation and understanding between and among DFO managers and scientists and harvest sectors (rec, com, fn); and cooperative political pressure by these groups for more resources to be devoted to fishery science.
Couldn't agree more strongly with your post, Bugs. Thanks for that. Us who like to try and figure fish out can more often agree working within that intent.

I think the additional point I would like to make is that: stock assessment does not happen within a vacuum. As fun as it can be trying to count fish (and fun talking about those technical methodologies) - There needs to be a reason for doing it. That reason is some aspect of Fisheries Management. So...

Stock Assessment is an integral component of Fisheries Management - a way to benchmark how well our Fisheries Management actions and activities are reflected in the stock trajectories over time in the stocks of concern - assuming our Fisheries Management response are in fact mirrored in the success or failure of the stocks of concern.

So - there is a time component to consider. Committed, multi-year funding for Stock Assessment is critical to developing and maintaining a time series of stock trajectories. This reality has been particularly challenging in the past 15-20 years or so of DFO cut backs.

Forgive me everyone if I detail what we already know in order to break-out the bits, but...

Salmon have a life cycle that is reflected through several components or stages that offer distinct, separate opportunities to perform Stock Assessment in a cycle: eggs, fry, smolts, preadults, and finally returning spawning adult salmon; through different and differing environmental scales such as headwaters, lake, mainstem, estuary, near coastal, and open ocean - and back again.

Each stage offers a different opportunity to complete Stock Assessment in a slightly different way - with different costs/efficiencies, and limits of error. Since funding is always limited - the idea is to try to put the money where the biggest bang for the buck is. Realistically - one can't commit Stock Assessment activities on every creek.

What that means is that you target the areas/methodologies (e.g. index rivers) that are both efficient and as accurate as possible - and one makes some assumptions about the transfer ability of those generated data that may (or sometimes may not) be valid for a larger area or other, adjacent watersheds. Unfortunately, it is not always logistically and financially plausible to "prove" the accuracy of these assumptions like whether or not an "index" stream accurately reflects the annual stock trajectories of other salmon species in other, adjacent creeks - so often - these extrapolations remain unproven and unsupported. They may - or may not - accurately reflect stock trajectories in the area but utilized in Fisheries Management activities none-the-less. And how does one actually define an "area" for a index river? CUs and the unimplemented Wild Salmon Policy? Lots of debate here.

Where salmon and their numerous life stages are confined; it makes it more efficient to count them here - which is why it is often more challenging to do Stock Assessment in the open ocean - and why streamwalks are most commonly utilized, although there are numerous intensive (i.e. small-scale: Didson/Aris, redd surveys, fish fences, etc.) and extensive (larger-scale: ocean test fisheries, commercial CPUE, etc.) tools in that toolbox as well.

As far as streamwalks and other, freshwater Stock Assessment activities go - logistics and accessibility will dictate what creeks are logistically feasible of being walked on a regular basis. These creeks become the index river - often irrespective of their applicability for inclusion as an index river.

There is also some debate with some freshwater Stock Assessment authorities as to whether or not we need to understand marine survival verses lake or instream survival since - as far as their reasoning goes - there is nothing we can do about it anyways.

Ultimately, if we are in fact going through the process of Stock Assessment - there should be some reason for doing it. If there really is "nothing we can do about it" - then why are we doing any of this??

I think I will stop here - for now - and let the other posters pile in on this point...

Last edited:
...With all due respect, it was you that indicated that there was "no DFO presence there at all" and made specific reference to the Skeena area as evidence. Well, that's not true and I provided evidence in the articles you posted to show that. ...There was data in those slides provided by individuals I know very well so it wasn't going to slip by me unnoticed.
Well, it's possible one of the slides slipped past your notice: as I mentioned:
Elsewhere in the Province - many watersheds receive absolutely NO stock assessment - as I mentioned. No DFO presence there at all (e.g. p.15; http://bvcentre.ca/pdf/Events/Conferences/Monitoring/Proceedings/PowerPoint/2-7-Gottesfeld-PP.pdf)
agentaqua, Oct 30, 2016 http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/dfo-estimates-are-terrible-so-sad.64573/page-3#post-808926
skeena watershed.jpg
Blue is DFO Stock Assessment activities - red is other authorities (SFC and members) - no red nor blue - no stock assessment at all - and certainly "no DFO presence there at all"...

as well as (again - as I previously mentioned):

English, 2016: "The number of NCC streams with escapement estimates peaked in the mid-1980s at over 1500 streams, declined to less than 1000 streams in 1994, and reached an all-time low of 476 streams in 2014." http://skeenasalmonprogram.ca/libraryfiles/lib_440.pdf

That's well over 1000 streams with "no DFO presence". Why?:

English, 2016: "The total estimated cost for annual monitoring of the NCC salmon indicator streams is approximately $2.5 million. Available funding in recent years from DFO, First Nation Agreements, and NGOs has covered $1.7 million (66%) of the required annual funding. "

So - if you add both the directed DFO Stock Assessment monies - and those of the other authorities funding - together - it only covers 66% of the "required annual funding" for stock assessment. I really don't see this newer, Trudeau Liberal government changing or correcting the slashing the past Conservative, Harper government did. If you are an interior decorator in Ottawa - you might do ok, though...

...With respect to this, what I was doing was challenging your initial contention that DFO was charging a 20% administration fee for funds they allegedly administer. That's how it started. I disagreed with your claim.
And then you looked and corrected your initial assumption thaat I was incorrect - after you subsequently found the info on the PSF submissions. Thanks for admitting that - and confirming what I originally said. I am assuming we can put this to rest, now - and move on...

Last edited:
It would seem to me that the most important reasons for doing an annual stock assessment is so that rivers with declining and threatened populations can be identified. These stocks need to be identified so that over fishing does not occur on runs that can not sustain harvests.

That is precisely why the DFO's forecast inaccuracies infuriate me so much. They allowed over harvesting.(IMO) by the commercial sector on runs that were nowhere near the forecast numbers. That is a recipe for disaster. If they are truly governed by the precautionary principle for stock management that should never happen.

Well, it's possible one of the slides slipped past your notice: as I mentioned: agentaqua, Oct 30, 2016 http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/dfo-estimates-are-terrible-so-sad.64573/page-3#post-808926
View attachment 30492
Blue is DFO Stock Assessment activities - red is other authorities (SFC and members) - no red nor blue - no stock assessment at all - and certainly "no DFO presence there at all"...

as well as (again - as I previously mentioned):

English, 2016: "The number of NCC streams with escapement estimates peaked in the mid-1980s at over 1500 streams, declined to less than 1000 streams in 1994, and reached an all-time low of 476 streams in 2014." http://skeenasalmonprogram.ca/libraryfiles/lib_440.pdf

That's well over 1000 streams with "no DFO presence". Why?:

English, 2016: "The total estimated cost for annual monitoring of the NCC salmon indicator streams is approximately $2.5 million. Available funding in recent years from DFO, First Nation Agreements, and NGOs has covered $1.7 million (66%) of the required annual funding. "

So - if you add both the directed DFO Stock Assessment monies - and those of the other authorities funding - together - it only covers 66% of the "required annual funding" for stock assessment. I really don't see this newer, Trudeau Liberal government changing or correcting the slashing the Conservation, Harper government did. If you are an interior decorator in Ottawa - you might do ok, though...

And then you looked and corrected your initial assumption - after you found the info on the PSF submissions. Thanks for admitting that - and confirming what I originally said. I am assuming we can put this to rest, now...

I guess it depends on how one defines as "presence". I don't disagree with the obvious budget shortfalls in the North Coast as described in the paper. I have been saying this all along. If you defining presence as boots on the ground walking streams then I would agree with you; however, as I illustrated to you already, using your own references, the First Nations in the area have greater responsibility with field activities.

Despite this, that's not all what stock assessment is as I have been trying to explain to you. DFO still has presence in other areas of stock assessment in that area as I said in my previous post which includes post-season escapement reporting. The problem in the next few years up there is not so much budgetary, but to replace and recruit biological staff lost to retirement. Succession planning by mentoring those below to take on roles with greater responsibility is a concern.

I don't see the Trudeau government restoring funding to what it was before Harper Government began. That would be wishful thinking given the deficits the government will be facing. Salmon are not going to get priority no matter how important we feel they are in BC. However, they have made some positive moves in just one year and 3 years left in their term, so I'm not going to be too cynical too early. They have recently hired a bunch of new biologists, technicians and scientists in the marine area in BC as well as others across the country so I will remain hopeful and not setting my hair on fire after one year.

Confirming what you had said??? Huh? You made an incorrect statement about DFO charging a 20% administration fee on funds it provides to groups like First Nations. That's what you originally said. I then asked you for evidence of your assertion which you didn't provide. MERCs is not evidence. PICFI monies are not just dolled out saying start a business catching fish with the department taking a cut for administrative purposes. On the administrative end of things there lots of things to consider (as I outlined previously) in starting up a business and this is done with DFO assisting First Nations. I then provided examples from AFS agreement process where First Nations budget for administrative fees. You then starting taking about the PSC Southern and Northern Endowment funds. In this example, DFO is the proponent requesting the funding - not the other way around. In the budget template for this funding application there is a line for overhead expenses, where the project proponents can include overhead costs in the budget, but approval of that is up to the PSC funding committee - not DFO. In addition, the PSC stipulates that justification is required for overhead costs greater than 20% of the total funding amount. So, I have no idea what was confirmed for you. But...yes...we can put this to rest now.

Where salmon and their numerous life stages are confined; it makes it more efficient to count them here - which is why it is often more challenging to do Stock Assessment in the open ocean - and why streamwalks are most commonly utilized, although there are numerous intensive (i.e. small-scale: Didson/Aris, redd surveys, fish fences, etc.) and extensive (larger-scale: ocean test fisheries, commercial CPUE, etc.) tools in that toolbox as well.

As far as streamwalks and other, freshwater Stock Assessment activities go - logistics and accessibility will dictate what creeks are logistically feasible of being walked on a regular basis. These creeks become the index river - often irrespective of their applicability for inclusion as an index river.

It's depends on species and if the stream is part of indicator program but also on abundance and budgets. There are also those that have more unique situations like Cultus. In the preseason the logistics of access are already known for the most part, especially if the stream has been visited multiple times before. What the abundance might look like is determined by looking at the brood year and the pre-season forecast in the Sockeye side of things. With Fraser Sockeye, populations, preseason abundances estimated to be less than 75,000 are typically surveyed using visual methods. Those above are enumerated using higher precision methods like mark-recapture, sonar or fences.

It would seem to me that the most important reasons for doing an annual stock assessment is so that rivers with declining and threatened populations can be identified. These stocks need to be identified so that over fishing does not occur on runs that can not sustain harvests.

That is precisely why the DFO's forecast inaccuracies infuriate me so much. They allowed over harvesting.(IMO) by the commercial sector on runs that were nowhere near the forecast numbers. That is a recipe for disaster. If they are truly governed by the precautionary principle for stock management that should never happen.
It's not the forecasters fault for how fish managers use the forecast. Forecasters do not determine total allowable catch for stakeholders. It's stated quite clearly in the forecast document the limitations of the forecast and the associated probabilities. With Fraser Sockeye, many are fixated on the 50p forecast, but that assumes average survival which we know now is not a given each year. Some of this is a function on how the media relates the forecast to the public. People think that the forecast should be a single point estimate, but that's not possible and never will be.

I never said it was the forecasters fault that the managers allowed extended commercial seasons on stocks that came nowhere near the forecast numbers on some stocks.

What I said was, that if they actually followed the precacionarary doctrine they claim to adhere to then overfishing should not occur because they are supposed to err on the side of caution.

Although, that's mostly just lip service as we all know. As long as there's a market for the fish and top dollar is being paid, they usually err on the side of the political contributors in the commercial fishing industry. Money talks, bulls*it walks, plain and simple. You don't need any pie charts and graphs to figure out how openings are decided. Political favoritism pure and simple. The poor sporties are the low man on the totem pole, and we get what dribs and drabs the money men in Ottawa see fit to toss our way. Same with the Halibut allocations, citizens of Canada crumbs, commercial fishing interests massive profits.

I think one of the unresolved issues - is that for most watersheds - one can only see what the escapement is - AFTER they escape past all of the capture fisheries.

In other words - escapement is forensic wrt allocating TAC and the prosecution of those fisheries.

Many assumptions are made wrt forecasts - and as Bugs accurately stated earlier:
... as climate variability appears to be increasing and both marine and freshwater ecosystems are responding in ways outside of their previously (somewhat) better understood dynamics. Precisely and accurately measuring the metrics used for forecasting (escapement, catch, freshwater and marine survival, age composition) is hard enough, accurate forecasting is even harder, and in some cases, impossible...

What used to work well (e.g. forecasting next years run based on jack returns in the previous year, as an example) - doesn't work so well anymore. We need better forecasting tools.

That's my answer to those who say we don't need to understand marine survival verses lake or instream survival...

Back