DFO cutting Habitat Staff by 33%

cohochinook

Forward Post: GLobe and Mail
DFO memos show staffing cuts in habitat protection
Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:48pm

Austerity measures threaten to sink salmon biologist jobs

“We acknowledge that the changes are significant and will require adjustments in how we conduct our business,” states an e-mail sent to DFO staff on Wednesday by Trevor Swerdfager, assistant deputy minister, transformation.

“ALL employees in the current habitat management program are affected by the realignment of our structure and our activities.”

MARK HUME

VANCOUVER — The Globe and Mail

Published Friday, Oct. 26 2012, 6:00 AM EDT

Fisheries and Oceans Canada is considering significant cuts to the ranks of the workers who protect fish habitat on the Pacific Coast, according to internal federal documents obtained by The Globe and Mail.

These biologists are the front-line protectors of the province’s salmon resource. They study the fish for signs they are suffering from disease, pollution or overfishing and monitor their habitats.

Documents: DFO memos showing expected staffing cuts in habitat protection

The cutbacks come as the federal public service struggles to implement the government’s deficit-fighting austerity program, which is forcing managers to rethink long-established programs in an attempt to do more with less.

In the department of Fisheries and Oceans, employees have been told that “a national staffing process” – which will lead to staff reductions and office closings – will begin on Nov. 16 and is to be fully operational by January.

While the nationwide details aren’t yet clear, a Pacific region organization chart for DFO approved on Oct. 19 by deputy minister Claire Dansereau shows the fisheries protection branch in British Columbia will be reduced to 60 positions from 90.

DFO wasn’t able to provide an official to comment on the leaked material on Thursday, and a media spokesperson said the department needed more time to respond to questions about staff reductions.

Environmentalists say the cuts are staggering because they go to the front line, where fisheries biologists who protect the environment are being removed from the field.

“We have a government which says trust us, no need to worry ... but now we have fewer habitat biologists to protect fish in British Columbia, when fish are under more pressure than they have ever been before,” said Gwen Barlee, policy director of the Wilderness Committee. “That is really concerning because the biologists are the ones on the front lines...they just won’t have enough people in the field any more.”

Otto Langer, a former DFO biologist and chief of habitat assessment in B.C. before retiring in 2006, said the Pacific region cuts shock him.

“In 2002-03, they had about 120 staff [in B.C.]. They will now go back to staffing levels of about 33 years ago,” he said. “I knew they were cutting at DFO, but I never, ever thought it would get this bad.”

Mr. Langer said the Pacific situation is probably reflected across the country, but the leaked organization charts did not include details on current numbers, so the size of the cuts in each region was not immediately apparent.

In B.C., however, Mr. Langer and others have been carefully tracking DFO and were able to provide a quick analysis.

Gary Corbett, president of the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada, said on Thursday that the union knows DFO was planning a 33-per-cent staff cut nationally, but details on which positions are being removed, and where, had not yet been made available.

“Everybody is trying to get a fix on that,” said Mr. Corbett, who had not seen the organizational charts.

Craig Orr, executive director of the Watershed Watch Salmon Society, said the deep cuts to habitat protection in B.C. are dismaying because salmon stocks are in decline, and development is increasingly threatening the environment.

“For me, the reorg chart is a lot like moving around the deck chairs on the sinking fish habitat ship,” he said in an e-mail. “Better appreciate our rivers and fish while you can.”

A note giving a breakdown of the Pacific cuts suggests that several DFO regional offices – in Prince George, Campbell River, Mission, Nelson, Williams Lake, Smithers and Port Hardy – will be shut in the reorganization.

“We acknowledge that the changes are significant and will require adjustments in how we conduct our business,” states an e-mail sent to DFO staff on Wednesday by Trevor Swerdfager, assistant deputy minister, transformation. “All employees in the current habitat management program are affected by the realignment of our structure and our activities.”

The note said human resources support is available for those “whose position may be declared surplus, and indeed for everyone who may be impacted by these changes.”

Totaly believable but incredibly short sighted. Ad this insult to the changes in the Navigatable Waters legislation and you have a licence to destroy. Lowered bariers to resources and no-one to check on the work.

The all mighty dollar is going to kill the mighty Pacific Salmon.

For those who get the chance in the up comming by-elections please send a clear message with your votes.

Richard

sad news for sure. very disappointing to read.

i would pay twice as much for my fishing license to support these jobs

harper is putting a trade agreement with China in place on november 1st--locked in for 30 years. (With no parliementary debate)In this agreement we have to pay China compensation if our environmental (or social)laws cause any of their comapnies operating within canada to lose potential profits. He's getting rid of these pesky scientists to save us having to pay money to the Chinese.
It is a disaster in the making and we can't seem to stop it.
T2

I'm glad I didn't vote Harper last election. I actually considered it, but with every passing day, the man becomes more and more of a threat to the Canada we've known growing up.

These cuts are a huge threat to salmon and other Pacific species. Like dfrase said above, I would gladly pay two or three times the amount for my fishing license if it helps save these jobs. Incredibly short sighted.

And you didn't see that coming when half of you voted for Harper?

ndp? ummmm no!
too bad theres only 2options!
Lesser of 2 evils !
liberals??? havent heard much
Things would be no different if another party was in power!
maybe Ndp is different federaly than provincially?

Wipe out the salmon. Dam the Fraser. Sell the hydro power. A salmon is a salmon right, so farm fish are swell.

After Armageddon, God is apparently going to re-stock everything anyway.

I would swallow the gun registry again if we can flush Harper.

i can guarantee you things WOULD be different if ANY other party was in there, i would have rather had a f*&king donkey in there, oh wait, we do......holmes*
well u know holmes, u might be right, its a terrible what the harper government has done to our fishery, it couldnt get any worse! Who do u think would be our best party to vote for that might actually listen to us? just curious...As running our country as a whole, im gunshy of voting ndp, Like I said, "they might be different federally than provincialy". It doesnt seem that any of the parties really care about our westcoast fishery, if I could see a party leader that would give a **** about us, id vote for them(ndp included)...

........EXACTLY!!!!!!!.....oh but wait, we dont have the long gun registry now, talk about short sighted....where is darwin when you need him....anyone that voted for harper and his cronies are complete idiots, PERIOD.......could see this coming from 1000's of miles away.......holmes*
You should be embarassed and ashamed of yourself. It seems a simple prism through which to see the world, in that anyone with different views than yourself is a complete and total idiot. Obviously this is an important issue to those of us on these forums, but to simply not acknowledge the fact that there are wide and varying issues on multi levels for a national government to address, beyond the DFO, is so narrow minded on your part. Canada, as a whole, is the envy of the much of the world since the financial crisis of 2008. For many reasons. The DFO not being one of them!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure that Holmes feels that Sven, Elizabeth May, Justin Trudeau or Chief Alphonse would all have made better leaders for Canada.....

You should be embarassed and ashamed of yourself. It seems a simple prism through which to see the world, in that anyone with different views than yourself is a complete and total idiot. Obviously this is an important issue to those of us on these forums, but to simply not acknowledge the fact that there are wide and varying issues on multi levels for a national government to address, beyond the DFO, is so narrow minded on your part. Canada, as a whole, is the envy of the much of the world since the financial crisis of 2008. For many reasons. The DFO not being one of them!

Falcon, I agree holmes tends to shoot from the hip a bit but if you follow his posts you'll see he's just a passionate guy who perhaps has just has less filter than some others on here. As for Canada being the envy of the world, I'm gonna take issue with that. I will concede that, from an economic perspective, Canada came out of the financial crisis of 2008/2009 very well compared to most other Western world countries. The reason we did so well during such a tough time is because of the regulation we put on our banks against predatory lending, complex derivatives, etc. These regulations were not put in place by our current Fed gov't and Harper was a strong advocate of trying to 'loosen' things up so that the market can operate more freely. We see how that turned out for our friends down south. I'm not suggestion that you are a Harper fan/hater just wanted to get that out there. Other than our relative survival of the economic crisis it is off base to think that Canada is the envy of the world, especially compared to past decades. Our nation has gone from a peacekeeping, environmentally responsible, relatively non-corrupt country a few decades ago and heading in the wrong direction since then to become a place of greater inequality, poorer environmental standards and more divided internationally and in the process garnered much less respect on a worldwide level.

Holmes,

I respect and appreciate your comments; that said calling others idiots because they don’t share your views got under my skin. You stated “IF you read the title of the thread it is aimed at a specific area that the federal government is responsible for, DFO”, yet you generalize and call any and everyone who voted for the Conservative Government an “idiot”. Correct? Therefore, in your eyes, anyone who voted, even those whose primary concerns are not the operation of the DFO, are still idiots? You opened up the debate right there with your comments, as we’re now talking about every reason a person voted for the Conservatives.

Also, I’m not suggesting or implying the Conservatives are responsible for coming through the financial crisis, I said we’re in a good position “for many reasons”, previous governments being one of them! I’m not going to try and articulate my political views here; I base my decisions on a lot more than how the DFO is operated. However, I’ll stick to the topic at hand here, which is the operation and function of the DFO.

Cheers!

This one is easy... happens in our system down here like clockwork... the developers and the resource extractors have paid their money to get their folks elected and now its time for their investment to pay off.

Hey Holmes.....

I guess the boycott of this site is over? ;)

Lots of blame to go around. The fish stock has been declining under succesive governments for generations,this didn't just start! Liberal or NDP provincially, Liberal or Conservative Federally none have shown leadership in the fishery on either coast. Habitat destruction, over fishing, poor enforcement and lack of knowledge,have been constants with climate change recently being added to the mix. To blame one government over another is an over simplification in the grand scheme of things. Federal Cons cut staff recently,Liberals allowed overfishing and habitat destruction for how many of the last 100 years?Frankly I don't see anyParty taking this issue too seriously!

Someone mentioned Trudeau as a possible saviour,all I know is his old man had a lot of years to address the problem and did nothing, so here's hoping. If anyone knows of a politician or a Party that has a workable plan, please share it with us?

Lots of blame to go around. The fish stock has been declining under succesive governments for generations,this didn't just start! Liberal or NDP provincially, Liberal or Conservative Federally none have shown leadership in the fishery on either coast. Habitat destruction, over fishing, poor enforcement and lack of knowledge,have been constants with climate change recently being added to the mix. To blame one government over another is an over simplification in the grand scheme of things. Federal Cons cut staff recently,Liberals allowed overfishing and habitat destruction for how many of the last 100 years?Frankly I don't see anyParty taking this issue too seriously!

Someone mentioned Trudeau as a possible saviour,all I know is his old man had a lot of years to address the problem and did nothing, so here's hoping. If anyone knows of a politician or a Party that has a workable plan, please share it with us?

well put,, i am non political for a reason, all politicians are to blame or all of us.

Back