DFO and COAST GUARD out in force still

As sport fishermen it is all our jobs and responsibilities to protect our fishery. Wheather that be respecting the daily limits, pinching barbs, catch and release. It may be personal preference to use barbs or not to use barbs but at the end of the day the rules need to be respected and as sportfishermen we have to obide by them. With that being said I feel that there are a lot of things that need to be changed within the fishery but I feel that following the rules is a step in the right direction. It is not MY job as a sportfishermen to make decisions as to what is right and wrong. The rules are in place and need to be followed even if you don't agree with them. HOOTCH;)

Fog why wouldnt it work catch the 2 coho and then stop fishing them now you have taken your quota and not killing anymore!!! WHERES the problem there???like walleyes said before in regard to hunting

There you are going through the woods then a buck steps out you bang it walk up to it damn not the SIZE you want you want one bigger so just like throwing out a fish you know thats going to die you walk away looking for a bigger one!!!!!This is same thing and it wont take long before BOTH things are gone time to wake up on our fishery!!!!

Every time those creel people ask me questions I ask them with all this info and time spend whats it used for???????

"any problems with seals " answer YES

"any coho" yes killed a few

Its gotten to the point now i have asked them to not even bother asking me because for the last 10 years its the same questions and NOTHING has been done

AS you can tell I am passonate about fishing maybe too much butI can see we are definatly heading for trouble but untill our government grows some balls and start killing seals,hitting the logging companies for river/creek damage,non netting of rivers by first nations ,allowing the commercial sector the biggest opening ever up north (think of the incidental coho there) We are absoulutly SCREWED we as sporties take the least but contrubute the most to the economy.

That enough rant im off to go and get more fish

Wolf

I agree with Wolf about keeping the fish you catch instead of needlessly killing them. It feels horrible to watch a big dead beautiful coho sink out of sight. [V]

Wolf.
I think its a great idea. dont get me wrong. but what happens if a guy is targetting springs, he catches two coho, does he now have to stop fishing for spring too?? I guess you could say that you have to keep the first 2 or 4 ot whatever salmon (regardless of size or species). Thats the only way i can see that really working. But yes Wolf i have though of that many times before, watching undersized spring sink away or the wild coho swim in sprials into the depths. I can almost guanantee that i am just as passionate as you about fishing, I was holding a fishing rod before a pencil. But i do like sportfishing, ie steelheading or flyfishing for coho for the day. If you were to implement a rule like that then there would be no more of these types of fisheries. All i can do as an angler is try my best to minimize damage, Use smaller hooks, not overplaying the fish, or leaving it in the water whenever possible.
I also know first hand that there are many problems with the management, for example cutting funding for the majority if the field staff (me) but keeping the bean counters in the offices employed with no data.. It pisses me off too..

Everyone:
We managed to get a bit off topic though. Just remember FO's or the creel surveyers are at the bottom of the totem pole, trying to earn a living the same as you and me. My wife does creel survey around ECVI and deals with way to much crap she shouldn't have to, specially for the pay she gets. comes home in tears sometimes, and for what. So instead of complaining on here about getting checked for barbless hooks, or asked a few questions at the ramp maybe do something productive. Maybe take some video of those people fishing down at the breakwater at night and send to DFO or at least phone the report line when you see a violation, take down the liscence plate i dunno whatever, yeah i know they may not do anythign about it but at least you can say that you tried. Me i write proposals to help obtain funding for fish habitat enhancement, or habitat construction, as well as report the violations, or go up to people and say something. There are many people around that cant identify a fish honestly so maybe you can help someone learn in the process. Im not here to argue with anyone, i fish like the rest of you and intend to for the rest of my life.

I know what you mean CA, but I don't see the wisdom of rules that seem to promote salmon as food for dogfish, rules that seem to deplete salmon stocks rather than protect them. :(

For interests sake, California has a rule where the first two salmon you get are keepers, that is is, no release at all. Releasing salmon is tough to do, as Charlie White found out when he hook and line fished for the Undersea Gardens. With the salmon, pretty much anywhere he touched them, in a week or so they had fungus in the shape of fingerprints on the fish where they were touched, and they consequently croaked. This was quoted from Charlie Whites "How to catch Salmon".

I hear you fog and it is tough it just very frustrating to see fish go to waste thats all I think we are all passionate about fishing it just hits home to hard on me I guess been on the water too long LOL thanks for your input!!!!

Wolf

No prob Wolf.. same to you. Its just to bad there weren't more of us higher up in the ranks, maybe we could make a bigger difference. tight lines

Back