DFO 2020 Halibut Fishery Announcement & Regs

This talk of conspiracy, cover up, and secrecy needs to stop. There is a process in place and, if you don't like it, get elected to the board and push DFO to change the process. The people elected to these positions go through the steps to gather input and then recommend a course of action based on their mandate to provide the best possible outcomes for ALL regions, working within the parameters of their governing bodies and allotted quota. I have served in numerous capacities on minor hockey boards for years. It is impossible to please everyone when you are making decisions that will affect hundreds of families, but it is what we are tasked to do as elected representatives of our member families. Do we get it right all the time, no, but we do our best to make it work for the majority of our constituents. When people come to me complaining about decisions they are not in favour of, I make the same recommendation to them as I did here...put your name forward and offer up your time, and lots of it, to make things better.

From a reliable source. No big changes but upping the maximum size. So there you have it....Everyone can calm down now and be happy.
Yes, and a few other tweaks being investigated by DFO and the SFAB that should make folks happier. As earlier stated, there are some further discussions taking place to sort out what options we may or may not have regarding using Variation Orders to adjust daily and possession limits...nothing secret about that. Bit pre-mature to get everyone's hopes up until its nailed down one way or the other.

The new regulations take effect April 1, plenty of time. Meanwhile....we opened earlier this year (Feb 15) and doubled the daily limit from 1 to 2. Let's go out there and enjoy the opportunity. Personally, I'm looking forward to hearing a few February halibut fishing adventure stories. All the effort to open earlier won't be worth it unless people get on the water and enjoy. I seem to recall many posters advocating the importance of an earlier opening....not hearing much support and excitement about that now, what's up? Did we make a mistake opening earlier and bumping up the daily limit?

Yes, and a few other tweaks being investigated by DFO and the SFAB that should make folks happier. As earlier stated, there are some further discussions taking place to sort out what options we may or may not have regarding using Variation Orders to adjust daily and possession limits...nothing secret about that. Bit pre-mature to get everyone's hopes up until its nailed down one way or the other.

The new regulations take effect April 1, plenty of time. Meanwhile....we opened earlier this year (Feb 15) and doubled the daily limit from 1 to 2. Let's go out there and enjoy the opportunity. Personally, I'm looking forward to hearing a few February halibut fishing adventure stories. All the effort to open earlier won't be worth it unless people get on the water and enjoy. I seem to recall many posters advocating the importance of an earlier opening....not hearing much support and excitement about that now, what's up? Did we make a mistake opening earlier and bumping up the daily limit?
I thank you for your work. I also volunteer on my local creek, net pen, hatchery and a few other pet salmon projects. I understand it is a thankless job and I personally thank you for your effort

No mistake. I’m stoked for early opening!

Did we make a mistake opening earlier and bumping up the daily limit?
Depends if the guys last year didnt get any halibut in the "prime" months.!!!!!
it wasnt that long ago the season used to be from feb1 to dec 31 and funny thing is when i guided hard and heavy not too many people were out in feb ...now is a different, its like telling that kid not to do something... all it does is want them do do it even more ...when your told NO you think of anyway possible to get it ... to get "our" way

Searun: I want to thank you for your efforts as well and yes, we plan to get out and try a few days, weather permitting. Of course I bill myself as the world’s worst halibut fisherman so TRY is the operative word!

Thanks, this is awesome hearing folks are going to get out there and enjoy the fishery. I'm super stoked to see people engaged in our fishery. I know a lot of individuals who dedicate their time to help in various ways to support keeping a sustainable fishery advancing. Every one is an unsung hero in my mind - paying it forward to future generations.

I 100% agree

The last few years I have had a poor success rate on the Hali off the South Island but a earlier opening I am hoping will be less doggies and could be some Hali out there
Exactly my thoughts! I’m in Vic and the Hali fishing has been a tough go for me the last couple years as well

More work with the IPHC to advance Canada's recreational halibut fishery

IPHC Media Release 2021-009 Invitation to the 10th Special Session of the IPHC (SS010)​

17 February 2021

SEATTLE – The IPHC is pleased to invite all interested parties to attend the 10th Special Session of the IPHC (SS010), which will be held on 22 February 2021 from 11:00-12:00 hrs (or as needed, PST).

The Special Session is being held to consider a Fishery Regulation proposal from Canada:

• IPHC-2021-SS010-PropB1: Recreational (Sport) Fishing for Pacific Halibut—IPHC Regulatory Area 2B (Sect. 28) (Canada)
The meeting will be held via the Adobe Connect meeting platform and you are requested to register via the meeting page to obtain a link to the session.

SS010 meeting page: https://www.iphc.int/venues/details/10th-special-session-of-the-iphc-ss010-

IPHC Secretariat
International Pacific Halibut Commission
2320 W. Commodore Way, Suite 300
Seattle, WA 98199-1287
206-634-1838 | www.iphc.int
iphc-2019-iphclogo.png

Getting carry over for next year would be a huge win because the biomass is still supposedly going to be in the dumps for the next few years and with everything potentially being open next year some really tuff decisions will have to me made.

Im curious tho does a feb 15 start now constitute as being part of a full season? :D

Getting carry over for next year would be a huge win because the biomass is still supposedly going to be in the dumps for the next few years and with everything potentially being open next year some really tuff decisions will have to me made.

Im curious tho does a feb 15 start now constitute as being part of a full season? :D
Rather doubtful there will be any movement on carry-over. This is likely more about the SFAB request to increase daily limits. Full season?? You are hilarious.

Back