DFO 2020 Halibut Fishery Announcement & Regs

I think everyone is hoping we do the right thing and think out side the box, and go with the no size limit and see where that takes us , its a different time and maybe our only opportunity to actually try some thing different. We continually leave fish in the water with no carry over which never made sense to most . How do you ask for more when you are managing with less ?? we are putting our selves in a no win situation, I see some very good comments about different ideas which seem to be criticized by a given few. If we don't take chances or try new things how are we to get better. Go with the no size limit and use the time that we will have saved and use it for the unfortunate SALMON situation where we are getting screwed more and more every year.

I’ve been lurking on this site for years and your 100% right, same story every year.

I heard its something like 1/1 up to 133 or 1/2 both under 90cm being proposed. They are assuming that the lodges will be fully open and booked this summer.

time to move onto salmon and watch that gong show unfold

Yes is time to move on. Glad this is over with honestly, and look forward to going out. Dusting off the gear today/ prepping stuff. Hoping weather is good this spring.

Should be announcement at some point as Derby said above. My big thanks to all that helped out with this.

Last edited:
I heard its something like 1/1 up to 133 or 1/2 both under 90cm being proposed. They are assuming that the lodges will be fully open and booked this summer.

time to move onto salmon and watch that gong show unfold

I hope this is not the case. If it is this would be the definition of insanity. I'm lost for words on this. I think this pic says it all.7PcY0PB.gif

I would guess that the lodges have relayed to the sfab that they are booked for the season, or close to it. I imagine there are lots of Canadian fishermen itching to do something.
Not going to judge the decision until it comes out with the rationale behind it.

I can see where we won’t know what the end decision is until DFO decides it, but not sure why the SFAB who represent us can’t divulge what we asked for? Any Reps want to share what we asked for?

I would guess that the lodges have relayed to the sfab that they are booked for the season, or close to it. I imagine there are lots of Canadian fishermen itching to do something.
Not going to judge the decision until it comes out with the rationale behind it.
Thank you. The SFAB has provided it's advice to DFO, and now awaits confirmation if it will be accepted or amended.

The SFAB decisions and advice are based on using objective data and predictive modelling as a means of attempting to optimize our use of available TAC, while ensuring we achieve a full season. We have limited in-season regulatory tools to adapt to actual catch trends experienced and shift the amount of TAC we use. There are essentially 3 tools. 1. Shorten or lengthen season 2. Spell out size and possession limits in a Condition of License (CoL) 3. Use variation orders (VO), which are only applicable to daily limits or closing the season once started. The size limits stated in the CoL cannot be changed once printed onto your license, so there is no way to adjust in-season. The only in-season management control available is using a VO to amend or vary a daily limit for example. In 2020, we used a VO to increase the daily limit from 1 to 2 on the under 90cm fish. That is an option that could be used when the season starts. So for example when we start the season under the 2020 regulations which are in place until March 31, the 1 daily of 90cm or 126cm can be varied to 2 daily of 90cm or 1 that is under 126cm.

Regarding predicting effort based on Lodge bookings. SFAB survey completed on a geographic cross section of 41 lodges - 88% of those that ran in 2019, plan on running in 2021. That's a 42% increase from what we saw in 2020. Many of the lodges have been able to configure to run at 100% of their usual 2019 occupancy. If by chance the border opens, that will add even more effort on top of the current bookings (remember we are still in booking season, so more will book).

Predicting what actual level of effort and catch we experience in 2021 is full of uncertainty - its worse than predicting the weather. Looking back over the more recent non-covid years the predictive model has been on average within 10% when we have stable conditions. The wild swings came early in the process of constructing the predictive model, and in some seasons where we experience more significant weather events.

Don't expect to see movement on the carry-over request this season. Given the significant push back from the US side, and our focus on defending Canada's apportionment agreement, the Canadian Commissioners to the IPHC didn't feel it was prudent to advance carry-over. That said, the SFAB will continue to request that our Commissioners tackle carry-over.

Sorry, I'm confused. Isn't the SFAB process where anglers get involved? As a regular participant, i have seen nothing on any agendas, no correspondence, and no indication of what was actually sent to DFO for review?

Am I missing something here?

Who exactly had input into this recommendation, and why is the recommendation a secret?

Sorry, I'm confused. Isn't the SFAB process where anglers get involved? As a regular participant, i have seen nothing on any agendas, no correspondence, and no indication of what was actually sent to DFO for review?

Who exactly had input into this recommendation, and why is the recommendation a secret?

Its driven by angler particapation at the local SFAC level.... every fall Halibut is on the agenda in which u can give you your input.. Motions are what is required to be moved to the south Coast meeting then to the SFAB main board.... At the main board we are guide by the motions & SFAB guiding principals . If you dont show up to a sfac meeting... well your tough out of luck & currently the forum board is not a proxy for what you would like personal regarding a halibut regulations

Its driven by angler particapation at the local SFAC level.... every fall Halibut is on the agenda in which u can give you your input.. Motions are what is required to be moved to the south Coast meeting then to the SFAB main board.... At the main board we are guide by the motions & SFAB guiding principals . If you dont show up to a sfac meeting... well your tough out of luck & currently the forum board is not a proxy for what you would like personal regarding a halibut regulations
I do show up. I did put my .02 in.

My main point is that I don't understand why the recommendation the SFAC sent up to DFO isn't being shared. Was it crazy different than previous years?

What recommendation did we make to the government?

Not trying to stir the pot but genuinely concerned about the tight lips when it should be openly available. If the recommendation is listed somewhere and I'm bring daft by not knowing it, or the reason for the secrecy, I'm happy to eat my words...

Last edited:
Is it because the recommendation was advanced by industry looking to protect the miniscule impossible chance that covid magically ends in the next 3 months?

The Ground Fish Shell Fish Working Group (GFSFWG) and the SFAB Main Board meetings are open to the public to attend as observers. We had 9 inquiries from members of the public. Each were extended an opportunity to pre-register to attend the virtual meetings - 3 requested to pre-register and were sent the meeting agenda and links to the meetings, only 2 actually attended. If anyone attending your local SFAC wishes to provide input by way of motions to help provide guidance to the meeting where the data, predictive modelling and regulatory options are debated that is the avenue to participate. If you have an interest in attending future meetings of the SFAB Main Board or GFSFWG, an easy way to make the request is through your local SFAC Chair.

The process - who makes the recommendations to DFO.....1) Halibut Committee receives technical advice from the Halibut Technical Committee, formulates preliminary recommendation advice to present to the GFSFWG; 2) GFSFWG reviews the data and recommendations from the Halibut Committee; 3) GFSFWG then advances recommendations to the SFAB Main Board for review, debate and vote on motions; 4) From there the passed motions advance to DFO for review; 5) DFO reviews advice, determines if it meets technical requirements and formulates Fisheries Notices for a public announcement; 6) DFO then makes a public announcement via a Fisheries Notice.

So at this stage there is really nothing to report until the SFAB receives word back from DFO regarding advice provided to the Department. DFO needs to review the advice provided to ensure that it correctly meets the regulatory framework.

The Ground Fish Shell Fish Working Group (GFSFWG) and the SFAB Main Board meetings are open to the public to attend as observers. We had 9 inquiries from members of the public. Each were extended an opportunity to pre-register to attend the virtual meetings - 3 requested to pre-register and were sent the meeting agenda and links to the meetings, only 2 actually attended. If anyone attending your local SFAC wishes to provide input by way of motions to help provide guidance to the meeting where the data, predictive modelling and regulatory options are debated that is the avenue to participate. If you have an interest in attending future meetings of the SFAB Main Board or GFSFWG, an easy way to make the request is through your local SFAC Chair.

The process - who makes the recommendations to DFO.....1) Halibut Committee receives technical advice from the Halibut Technical Committee, formulates preliminary recommendation advice to present to the GFSFWG; 2) GFSFWG reviews the data and recommendations from the Halibut Committee; 3) GFSFWG then advances recommendations to the SFAB Main Board for review, debate and vote on motions; 4) From there the passed motions advance to DFO for review; 5) DFO reviews advice, determines if it meets technical requirements and formulates Fisheries Notices for a public announcement; 6) DFO then makes a public announcement via a Fisheries Notice.

So at this stage there is really nothing to report until the SFAB receives word back from DFO regarding advice provided to the Department. DFO needs to review the advice provided to ensure that it correctly meets the regulatory framework.

Is SFAB able to share is advice submitted to DFO? It would be great to know option/options where given

Back