Desolation Sound Help

I'm going to desolation sound for the first 2 weeks of august and don't know the area. Does anyone have any info on how to fish this area and where to focus my effort? I've heard that the Yuculta rappids area can be productive at times can anyone confirm that?

Pick up a set of charts for the area. Yucultas are just northeast of Stuart Island. Not sure where you are starting from but Desolation Sound is a good sized area. Beginning at Sarah Point just north of Powell River and Lund and stretching all the way into Toba and Bute.
There is a large RCA from Okeover to Prideaux Haven and covering Tenedos Bay where a lot of people go.

People don't fish the Yuculta and Arran rapids anymore. Probably fish there for those who know how to power mooch and have a boat that could do the job. Unless you know what you are doing in the rapids your better off trolling around the area. The guides now troll north of the Arran rapids, around Bute inlet, and north end of Sonora (just past Dent rapids). Don't run the rapids unless you do so at tide change or on moderate to small tides, staying away from max tide.

We will be starting at Refuge cove and working our way to Frances bay and spending some time in that area. We won't go up Bute or Toba inlets. We will also make our way to Pendrell Sound area as well. Some general help is all i'm looking for. Thanks for any help:).

Back