Descending devises

Question: I plan to use my Shelton device with my downrigger this afternoon.

Will they support a 15# cannonball, or will it bend and destroy the device, risking the loss of the ball? (don't want to do that!!)

My next size down I have is a 3# ball - would this size be sufficiently large enough to do the trick? I imagine this would not trash the descender.

set up an old rod and reel, clip a 3lb weight when you go to use it.

Question: I plan to use my Shelton device with my downrigger this afternoon.

Will they support a 15# cannonball, or will it bend and destroy the device, risking the loss of the ball? (don't want to do that!!)

My next size down I have is a 3# ball - would this size be sufficiently large enough to do the trick? I imagine this would not trash the descender.
you’re going to add the decender “ as an accessory” to your existing down rigger system if that makes sense. i would get some sort of quick connect ,like a mcmahon snap, and attach it to your cannon ball hardware

what i do is i have an old Penn Long Beach reel that i have permanently attached to an old piece of crap rod butt that i cut down to basically handle and reel seat only.i have my decender permanently attached to it with a 2 or 3 lb ball and i decend the little buggers that way. it’s way quicker than messing around with your down rigger .

i would have bought one of those fancy schmancy ones but i’ve heard too many horror stories of them not releasing and then you’re just giving the cod a ride up and down the water column; really messing the thing up

TW we must have been posting at same time

you’re going to add the decender “ as an accessory” to your existing down rigger system if that makes sense. i would get some sort of quick connect ,like a mcmahon snap, and attach it to your cannon ball hardware

what i do is i have an old Penn Long Beach reel that i have permanently attached to an old piece of crap rod butt that i cut down to basically handle and reel seat only.i have my decender permanently attached to it with a 2 or 3 lb ball and i decend the little buggers that way. it’s way quicker than messing around with your down rigger .

i would have bought one of those fancy schmancy ones but i’ve heard too many horror stories of them not releasing and then you’re just giving the cod a ride up and down the water column; really messing the thing up

TW we must have been posting at same time
Noooooo never to the cannonball, please

Last edited:
I just happened to see the YouTube video on Descending Devices by the Gale Force Twins.

Former Divison One Athletes and USCG 50 Ton Captain’s they have a decent youtube channel with lots of information on fishing south florida , boat handling, etc.

Back