Depth finder

papg5860

I'm looking at installing a second depth finder on our boat and would like to tap into the experience out there so I can get the best model. We fish Halibut a lot so need really good resolution and quality at the bottom so we can distinguish between the arrow tooth flouder that also live in the area. We also want to install it as a through the transom model so that it can't be damaged when trailering as we travel 2000km each way.

If you find a sounder that can tell the difference between flounder and a hali at what ever depth, I want the name of it.

Brokenrod, flounder usually swim 5' - 10' above the bottom Halibut as a rule are closer to the bottom, so with that said we need good resolution to distinquish between them at depths of 250' - 350'

Try looking at a commercial type sounder. There way more expensive but I think the fish might actually show up as different colors. I know on a seine boat I was on we could tell what type of salmon it was by the color they showed up on the unit. I would love to have one of those for casual fishing. You can look 360 around your boat and pretty much any angle as well.

here I looked it up for you..
fcv1200l.gif

http://www.georgesme.com/products/details.asp?prodid=98

They list at $7000.00 USD. Man you could almost buy a lifetime supply of halibut for that much though. You would have to really.. really like eating halibut.

Check out a Furono FCV585 with a 1000watt transducer just put one on my boat, AWESOME,still learning how to use it,very good resolution,I would highly recomend it.Be prepared to pay.DAN

Back