Deepfryer what are you using

SaintSix

Well I’m back in the market for a deepfryer. I like to do beer battered fish and chips so I’d prefer a large single vs dual. Just wondering what everyone has that they like or any I should stay away from. If you remember what store sold it, that would help too.

I use a Wok. Works great for deep-frying and can be used for things like stir frying and does not cost much and uses a little less oil given its shape being wide at the top and narrow at the bottom. You are the temp control, so you have to watch it carefully. You do not want the oil smoking hot, but hot enough to fry. I usually test the temp by flicking a water drop or two off my finger into the oil and see how much it sputters. Then I watch how fast the beer batter browns and adjust heat as necessary. I guess using a thermometer would be better.

I did have a T-Fal deep fryer (I think it was T-fal), the one that has the built-in oil filtration and dumps the oil into a compartment on the bottom, but after not all that much use it just stopped working, (probably something with the electronics) and I then went to the Wok. The Wok has been used for deep and stir-frying for a thousand years.

Last edited:
Well I’m back in the market for a deepfryer. I like to do beer battered fish and chips so I’d prefer a large single vs dual. Just wondering what everyone has that they like or any I should stay away from. If you remember what store sold it, that would help too.
How many people you trying to feed? It's the chips that suck the life out of your oil so nothing other than BTUs and volume will help you there.
I fry for up to 10 people in the heavy pot on the stove.
20 people in the 24" wok and propane burner outside.
20-40 people on my two basket 18L (oil) bayou fryer
40-100 on the three basket 40L
100 and up on both fryers.
The Bayous are sketchy as **** because there's no temp control. It's a tiger torch attached to a tin box. But when you need to crank the heat to cook 50lbs of fries they keep up nicely.

I have the single tubed one from Cabalas, works well. Very easy to clean drain oil, every thing but the element in the dish washer.

I bought a cheap one at Canadian Tire 10 years ago. If I remember correctly it was 20 bucks, 80 percent off from 100 bucks. The handles on the side melted long ago, but otherwise it's still working. Has a thermostat and it works, what else do you need?

I don’t usually cook for more then 5 unless family is visiting. I do precook my fries. About 70% done then next batch do when it comes to feeding people I just finish them off. I have never tried in a Dutch oven. Do they work on flat top electric ranges. I have to go look but I think mine might have tiny feet on the bottom of the pot. Do you cool the oil after use and put back into a container? I’ve always left the oil in my old fryer?

It'll work on electric just fine, if it has a flat bottom. Probably safer than the open flame I have. Yes, we strain the cooled oil into a big jar and put it back in the beer fridge till next time.
Wok works well too.

It'll work on electric just fine, if it has a flat bottom. Probably safer than the open flame I have. Yes, we strain the cooled oil into a big jar and put it back in the beer fridge till next time.
Wok works well too.
We always have pickle jars of oil in the beer fridge.

Back