Deep fried Ling

Breakin"even

Crew Member
I'm thinking of deep frying some fresh Ling. I was going to try the flour/egg/panko
that RC did, I know the oil should be 350 degrees. The pieces are 1 and 2 inches thick,
and was wondering how long to fry for. Also was wondering if if I was doing batches if
they stay good in a warm oven untill all batches are done like chicken.

As an alternative, and a whole lot less fooling around with oil and deep fryers, i switched to using crushed up S&V chips (thin ones like Lays) instead of panko. Season fish (just fresh cracked pepper and a bit of salt for me), light coat of flour, coat in egg then the crushed chips. Pan fry in a skillet w/ oil of choice (high side of med heat) til starts to brown on each side and result is moist fish and crispy coating.

I don’t even like salt and vinegar chips but the frying gets rid of most of the flavour, it’s just their but works well. Of course, hard to beat proper deep frying if you’re set up for it, this is just so easy and gets you 95% of the way there.

Cheers!

Ukee

As an alternative, and a whole lot less fooling around with oil and deep fryers, i switched to using crushed up S&V chips (thin ones like Lays) instead of panko. Season fish (just fresh cracked pepper and a bit of salt for me), light coat of flour, coat in egg then the crushed chips. Pan fry in a skillet w/ oil of choice (high side of med heat) til starts to brown on each side and result is moist fish and crispy coating.
I will give that a try, Thank's Ukee

I cut mine into 3/4"-1" thick "fingers" so that as soon as the breading is brown they're donesky. Tops 4 minutes. You can shallow fry them but you're actually making a greasier product that way because the oil splashes onto the breading and absorbs more. Deep frying (in this case only 3/4" of oil with displacement factored in) causes steam to force it's way out which keeps the oil from soaking into the food, assuming you keep your oil hot enough. 325-375 is your frying range. Panko browns quickly so no more than 350 for this recipe is best. I do 325 for thicker, bone in, foods.

I don’t even like salt and vinegar chips but the frying gets rid of most of the flavour, it’s just their but works well. Of course, hard to beat proper deep frying if you’re set up for it, this is just so easy and gets you 95% of the way there.

Cheers!

Ukee
I’m going to try that tomorrow night with today’s encounters

I brown the panko in pan with olive oil and set aside to cool. Then fish goes flower to egg to browned panko. Then in the oven at 400 for 6-8 min.
Way less grease than frying. The trick is browning the panko first as it won't brown in the oven without the oil and over cooking the fish.

I brown the panko in pan with olive oil and set aside to cool. Then fish goes flower to egg to browned panko. Then in the oven at 400 for 6-8 min.
Way less grease than frying. The trick is browning the panko first as it won't brown in the oven without the oil and over cooking the fish.
I’ve done that and it does not replicate deep frying but it’s close, and a lot less work. I use a mixture of mayonnaise, egg and flour. Drench the fish in this, then roll them in the browned panko. Saves one step and still great

I cut mine into 3/4"-1" thick "fingers" so that as soon as the breading is brown they're donesky. Tops 4 minutes. You can shallow fry them but you're actually making a greasier product that way because the oil splashes onto the breading and absorbs more. Deep frying (in this case only 3/4" of oil with displacement factored in) causes steam to force it's way out which keeps the oil from soaking into the food, assuming you keep your oil hot enough. 325-375 is your frying range. Panko browns quickly so no more than 350 for this recipe is best. I do 325 for thicker, bone in, foods.
Agreed. Finger sizes like the frozen cod fish stick size cook up the best, whether you pan fry, poach or deep fry. Those look perfect.

my favorite as well, wondering if he has a tarter recipe as well

helmans mayo
grated dill pickle
chopped caper
grated white onion
grated garlic
lemon zest
lemon juice
**** ton of fresh dill
dijon or grainy mustard
sugar /salt/black pepper to taste
can thin with some pickle juice

make a few hours prior to serving so all the onion/garlic is somewhat toned down by the acid from the lemon

we also use kellogs cornflake crumb instead of panko, same way my german mother has done her schnitzel for years , imparts a pleasant flavour .

another tip when doing the flour/egg/crumb method is to let them sit on a wire rack for 20 - 30 mins before frying, it really all combines into a hard crust , you will never run into the issue of having your coating fall off in the fryer

Got this recipe from a BC fishing lodge brochure. Very little oil and the small cubes have taken the sometimes chewing texture of ling away. Cut in cubes. Light coating of flour and good quantity of cajun spice or to taste. Fry up with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Ad a bit more oil if necessary. DSCF5341.JPGI use a cast iron fry pan but no stick is fine. Drizzle the pan with lemon juice so it steams up nice with lemon flavour (optional).

my favorite as well, wondering if he has a tarter recipe as well

its on there guys !!!

As for batter recipe if you want it crisper add more cornstarch and less flour and to make it more golden add a bit of sugar.
I personally add garlic powder and dill in my batter

Back