Deck Question......

Seafever

This is my deck out back.

It was built out of pressure -treated wood around ten years ago.

I 'aged' the bare wood before I started on recommendation....

I painted the deck with oil-base stain.

Every year it peels. I tried sanding it down and putting primers on the bad spots. Still peels.

In this picture I scraped off a lot of the loose paint flake.

Anybody know of a paint that will stick?......and also why it keeps peeling?.....(the underside of the boards are painted as well).

001.jpg

I doubt paint will stick to pressure treated. I would try a section with linseed oil. Dilute it with mineral spirits and let it soak in. A couple coats. You can add stain pigment from my understanding, but I never did.

just going through this myself told by a few different sources that you have to hit the surface of the boards with 80 grit to take the glazing from the planner at the mill off to open the fiber back up to accept stain or paint

mine does the same thing, I had to redo it pretty much every year, the last time I rented a big floor sander, made sure I sanded off all the mill glaze this time and coated with
behr premium deckover and it lasted 3 years this time, I have to redo again this summer now,
but its better then every summer, and I think ill be able to scrape, scuff and just repaint this time too

Back