Boat coaming pad bolster rail

prodjsaig

Hi the original bolster rail on my trophy keeps falling off. It is only 1/2" green board plywood with foam and upholstery. It is as a real pain to put the screws in from underneath.

I looked at wood options dimensions are 52" x 2.5" (thick) x 4.5" (wide down from the gunnel). Teak max thickness is 2" available and that is $520 plus tax for two boards and then I have to mill it. White oak is $200 or less and can come alot thicker 5" thickness.

I then saw a picture of plastic decking. Why not rip the groove off join two boards for length and then PL glue and air nail it to the inside of the gunnel. Then follow with screws in the back? Plastic would never need replacing and it would look sweet.

Hi the original bolster rail on my trophy keeps falling off. It is only 1/2" green board plywood with foam and upholstery. It is as a real pain to put the screws in from underneath.

I looked at wood options dimensions are 52" x 2.5" (thick) x 4.5" (wide down from the gunnel). Teak max thickness is 2" available and that is $520 plus tax for two boards and then I have to mill it. White oak is $200 or less and can come alot thicker 5" thickness.

I then saw a picture of plastic decking. Why not rip the groove off join two boards for length and then PL glue and air nail it to the inside of the gunnel. Then follow with screws in the back? Plastic would never need replacing and it would look sweet.
Have a look at “coaming Pad hook and eye sets” on sail rite.com, might address your requirements. These are pretty simple products and likely available locally.

Nice idea the starboard would never require attention and you can put stickers on it. I would like to build out the thickness so it protects underneath from rain. Ill have a look for the hook set at boat place while im getting some gel coat repair. So many things just seem to fall apart its normal to me now. lol

Did mine with Starboard as well. Rounded the edges with my router. Very clean look.
I like that idea. even if you put 2 or 3 laminations would still look good. and then you can even screw the edge of a cutting board if you made it level with the gunwale. I plan to possibly put a washdown pump underneath. But if I can put something down there like even a small shelf and it be protected from the rain would be perfect.

I weighed all my options when replacing my bolsters and decided to go without. Ended up filling all the many many holes I had. Then I coloured matched gel coated the sides.

No more worries of ripping the bolster, mine were so waterlogged I probably took 100+ lbs out of the boat and it’s so easy to clean.

658E992B-2A1A-468E-8530-0B885678C213.jpeg

I weighed all my options when replacing my bolsters and decided to go without. Ended up filling all the many many holes I had. Then I coloured matched gel coated the sides.

No more worries of ripping the bolster, mine were so waterlogged I probably took 100+ lbs out of the boat and it’s so easy to clean.

View attachment 67925
Nice but when it’s bouncy out I prefer leaning against those cushioned gunnels

X2

View attachment 67925
It does look clean though, nice job!

x3 on the coaming/bolster pads down the gunnel. My new to me Seafarer came without the pads so I went to Industrial Plastics bought the plastic backing, drilled holes for the brackets and used a heat gun to bend at the corners. Then sent to be upholstered which ended up thicker foam than I needed but I really like them to lean on while reaching over to measure fish in the water

Attachments

• 4F938761-4C4F-42E0-A5A7-84FCA4167E65.jpeg
    4F938761-4C4F-42E0-A5A7-84FCA4167E65.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 176EFFCC-3AF6-4451-89D1-264254DC78E0.jpeg
    176EFFCC-3AF6-4451-89D1-264254DC78E0.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 37173380-3DEA-4764-8E5B-FFD2365C1490.jpeg
    37173380-3DEA-4764-8E5B-FFD2365C1490.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 73
x3 on the coaming/bolster pads down the gunnel. My new to me Seafarer came without the pads so I went to Industrial Plastics bought the plastic backing, drilled holes for the brackets and used a heat gun to bend at the corners. Then sent to be upholstered which ended up thicker foam than I needed but I really like them to lean on while reaching over to measure fish in the water
Those are nice!

What speed do you cruise at with that 250 Suzuki? Curious as I have and older Seafare with 225 Yamaha.

The sweet spot for the DF250 is about 4400 rpm and 31 mph. A little lower rpm and I get a higher pitch/sound from the engine but the sound is better at 4400 rpm for some reason. What year is your Seafarer? Mine is a 1999

The sweet spot for the DF250 is about 4400 rpm and 31 mph. A little lower rpm and I get a higher pitch/sound from the engine but the sound is better at 4400 rpm for some reason. What year is your Seafarer? Mine is a 1999
Thanks, Mine is a 1989 with a F225 Yamaha. I am 4800 rpm and cruise at 28 mph. I think the 250 is a better match for the boat.

I’m very impressed with the Suzuki’s and the mid range power with the variable valve timing. There seems to be a lot of power in these engines and very quiet. I had Yamaha’s for over 20 years with zero issues so I’m hoping the Suzuki’s hold up.

Perfect placement on the downriggers. you can put a mount at the back for rough waters but mine are exactly like yours way way easier to set. When its like 3' seas you want to mount them at the back.

Back