Decision Day?

She should be shot with a ball of her own $hit for this one.

See a pattern here with our Gov?
The days of Public Resource are on the way out.
They are selling out or forest land, our rivers, lakes and now our fish. All for the mighty $
Sad days.

Tips

THe thing is that this decision doesn't even make sense in regard to the all mighty dollar...as the sportfishing community contributes a hell of a lot more to the economy than the commercial sector.

OUCH! Couldn't have received a much firmer dismissal. :(

I see a couple of strategies left to us now:

First: NONE of the charter groups should buy any of these new proto-type Licenses nor any additional quota. If any single one calves, they drag the rest of us down into acceptance of this *****-slap. This directly appears to be following the Alaskan model, wherein those who play ball eventually end up being the only ones allowed to fish, and the rest be damned. Further this is an obvious tactic on DFO's part to create even more division amongst the recreational sector, thus I am not at all surprised they are attempting to rely on that age-old (and to now extremely reliable) card once again.
Methinks it would behoove the Coalition to get the Don't Do It message across to all, as soon as possible. The old What if they held a party and nobody showed analogy applies well here.

Second: We have an election coming up. Is everyone involved determined enough to both vote against and campaign against the government that has screwed us over once again? I would hope so. In fact I am going so far as to phone Lunney, thank him for his support in this cause, but sadly informing him that due to the actions of his government, I simply can not vote for him again. This will also be sent in letter form, as will similar letters to Shea and the PM. Thanks for the message - here, in a very similar tone is our reply.

Methinks at this point they simply want us to throw our hands in the air and walk away. Worst possible thing we could do. In fact the very reverse should be true now, and we should up the pressure as much as we feasibly can.

For the long term, methinks we now must find a way to bring the other two sectors to the table with us. The deep-pocket absentee Fish Brokers have had their way, and are likely giggling contentedly over just how they were able to fix that particular little red wagon. Enough. The end result of their expensive and effective lobbying campaign is the working fisherman still produces more income for his absentee Fish Lord than he realizes for his own efforts, and the recreational fleet is once again left holding the bag. Most of us recognize that as wrong. Methinks enough of the Real Fishermen likely think along similar lines, but are simply muzzled by those that hold access privileges over them. The time for us to work together to right that wrong has come. This doesn't have to occur overnight, Shea has drawn her line in the sand for this season. But methinks we had best take advantage of the time preceding next year's continuation of the problem to form a United Front with those amongst the commercial fleet who are willing to do so. Those forced into lease situations actually have more to gain from abolishing absentee owners than the recreational fleet does. Thus I believe there exist distinct possibilities of moving forward in this fashion. And I would like to be amongst the first to note that I am willing to donate whatever time and energy is required to make this happen. I see little other recourse at this juncture...

I am pissed, but I am not overly surprised. DFO's tactics of shuffling the deck and tossing out piecemeal offerings directly designed to deflect from their own back yard while maximizing internal both inter and infra-sectoral dissent has proven effective for them in the past. So again, no surprise they rely on just that once again. Are we "Man" enough to meet the challenge of forgoing their "offer" and working collectively with all user groups to find a more equitable solution? I sincerely hope so. Otherwise all of our efforts to date have been a considerable waste...

Not so damn cheery,
Matt

Great way to ruin my day.

Apparently the Department of Commercial Fisheries has once again saw it fit to find a new way to help the slipper skippers with their retirement funds.

I will be taking a halibut charter this year but only with one that has not bought into the special license program. I would rather sit on the dock than participate in such a harebrain scheme.

[FONT=&quot]GLG[/FONT]

OUCH! Couldn't have received a much firmer dismissal. :(

I see a couple of strategies left to us now:

First: NONE of the charter groups should buy any of these new proto-type Licenses nor any additional quota. If any single one calves, they drag the rest of us down into acceptance of this *****-slap. This directly appears to be following the Alaskan model, wherein those who play ball eventually end up being the only ones allowed to fish, and the rest be damned. Further this is an obvious tactic on DFO's part to create even more division amongst the recreational sector, thus I am not at all surprised they are attempting to rely on that age-old (and to now extremely reliable) card once again.
Methinks it would behoove the Coalition to get the Don't Do It message across to all, as soon as possible. The old What if they held a party and nobody showed analogy applies well here.

Second: We have an election coming up. Is everyone involved determined enough to both vote against and campaign against the government that has screwed us over once again? I would hope so. In fact I am going so far as to phone Lunney, thank him for his support in this cause, but sadly informing him that due to the actions of his government, I simply can not vote for him again. This will also be sent in letter form, as will similar letters to Shea and the PM. Thanks for the message - here, in a very similar tone is our reply.

Methinks at this point they simply want us to throw our hands in the air and walk away. Worst possible thing we could do. In fact the very reverse should be true now, and we should up the pressure as much as we feasibly can.

For the long term, methinks we now must find a way to bring the other two sectors to the table with us. The deep-pocket absentee Fish Brokers have had their way, and are likely giggling contentedly over just how they were able to fix that particular little red wagon. Enough. The end result of their expensive and effective lobbying campaign is the working fisherman still produces more income for his absentee Fish Lord than he realizes for his own efforts, and the recreational fleet is once again left holding the bag. Most of us recognize that as wrong. Methinks enough of the Real Fishermen likely think along similar lines, but are simply muzzled by those that hold access privileges over them. The time for us to work together to right that wrong has come. This doesn't have to occur overnight, Shea has drawn her line in the sand for this season. But methinks we had best take advantage of the time preceding next year's continuation of the problem to form a United Front with those amongst the commercial fleet who are willing to do so. Those forced into lease situations actually have more to gain from abolishing absentee owners than the recreational fleet does. Thus I believe there exist distinct possibilities of moving forward in this fashion. And I would like to be amongst the first to note that I am willing to donate whatever time and energy is required to make this happen. I see little other recourse at this juncture...

I am pissed, but I am not overly surprised. DFO's tactics of shuffling the deck and tossing out piecemeal offerings directly designed to deflect from their own back yard while maximizing internal both inter and infra-sectoral dissent has proven effective for them in the past. So again, no surprise they rely on just that once again. Are we "Man" enough to meet the challenge of forgoing their "offer" and working collectively with all user groups to find a more equitable solution? I sincerely hope so. Otherwise all of our efforts to date have been a considerable waste...

Not so damn cheery,
Matt

Bang on Nog! "DON'T DO IT!!!!!" Needs to be heard all over the coast. If anyone is considering it, the short term potential gain will end up being long term pain..Worse than the pain Osama is feeling right now! Actually there are sore asses all over Canada right now!

NEWS RELEASE
For Immediate Release
February 15, 2011
B.C. Sportfishing Coalition
SPORT FISHERS SLAM HALIBUT PLAN
RICHMOND – The B.C. Sportfishing Coalition panned Fisheries Minister Gail Shea’s
plan for the 2011 recreational halibut fishery. “Minister Shea and Conservative MPs in
B.C. have abandoned recreational anglers and sided with a small group of well-connected
commercial quota holders,” said coalition spokesperson Rob Alcock. “The decision to
leave the halibut allocation policy unchanged will punish recreational anglers, the
businesses that support them, and the thousands of people who are employed in sport
fishing in the province.”
In 2003, former Fisheries Minister Robert Thibault allocated 88% of Canada’s Total
Allowable Catch (TAC) of halibut to 436 commercial quota holders and allocated 12% to
the province’s 100,000 recreational halibut anglers. Recreational anglers have long
opposed the policy and argued that it privatizes Canada’s common-property halibut
resource.
Since 2003, recreational anglers have faced shortened seasons and a 50% reduction in
catch limits. During the same period, commercial halibut quota became a tradable
commodity and in 2010 less than half of the 436 commercial quota holders actually
fished their catch. The rest simply leased out their rights and collected royalty cheques.
Amazingly, while DFO claims that the commercial fishery is accountable, DFO staff now
acknowledge that they do not know who actually owns the 436 commercial quotas that
control 88% of Canada’s halibut TAC.
“Shea’s suggestion that individual anglers can now seek to lease quota from commercial
quota holders is confirmation of her view that Canada’s halibut resource is private
property owned by the lucky few,” said Alcock. “Over the past two months, recreational
anglers have held meetings, written letters and sought the support of B.C.’s Conservative
MPs. I expect they will remember this decision when those MP’s look to anglers for
support in the coming months,” said Alcock.
-30-
For more information please contact:
Rob Alcock
B.C. Sportfishing Coalition
778-868-8779

Wow, that's big news.

The commercial halibut group writing those letters to the editor got exactly what they asked for ... a new user group is born, sport commercial. Come August, that will be the only way in Canada for recreational anglers to catch a halibut, at $5/lb licensing fee. It will be interesting to see how the lodges will play it, is the $5/lb hali fee included within the price of the charter or does the guest pay extra, "buying" the fish they catch? Will the house rules differ if you catch a big one ... pay the lodge $500 or they keep it and sell it commercially?

Interesting thing from a recreational perspective is that this rule creates motivation to hit the resource hard before a closure, regardless of comfort, weather, or safety. That is one of the main things they were trying to avoid when they introduced the 88/12 rule -- commercial guys racing out in terrible weather to catch before it closes. As a small operator, your business costs are much lower if you catch a fish early, so this will push guides to sell halibut charters in March and April off the west coast. If someone were to get in trouble out there in unexpected weather from a late winter storm ... not saying it would directly result from this policy, but it sure would be a contributor.

Speaking for myself, as someone who enjoys the fun of halibut fishing and also likes to have halibut stored to eat over the winter, this will make me fish a lot more in spring rather than those nice more reliably calm summer days.

From a strategic perspective, thinking through a policy to the consequence of its implementation, I expect their thinking is that this policy allows the government to create more direct economic input from sport commercial caught fish -- adding to what was there before, now the actual fish caught are also added to taxable income, taxable sales (HST!), and added to GDP stats. But these other outcomes, in particular safety, I think those have not been well thought out or if they are considered an acceptable cost, that is not appropriate.

My email to Ms Shea, Mr Duncan, and Mr Harper...I will also be paying her a visit in her Parliamentary office next week (my reading week so no exams to have to worry about, and will give me time to cool down).

Dearest Members of Parliament,

Your decision today regarding halibut allocation is absolutely ridiculous. Charter operators take CANADIANS to the fish, 80% of our clientelle is Canadian yet 75% of fish caught by the commercial sector is exported to the United States...yet the rich Commercial fishermen get to continue this while charter operators who struggle to make ends meat and pay for their mortgage have to spend thousands of dollars to obtain halibut from these wealthy slipper skippers.

I, AS WELL AS MY FAMILY AND MANY OTHERS I KNOW, AM RIPPING UP MY CONSERVATIVE MEMBERSHIP CARD, AND WILL DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO ENSURE THAT MR. JOHN DUNCAN IS NOT RE-ELECTED IN THE RIDING OF VANCOUVER ISLAND - NORTH. My father and I have contributed thousands of dollars to the Conservative Party of Canada and this will also stop immediately.

It is a disgrace that you try and claim you are representing the best interests of all Canadians when you make a decision like this. You should be ashamed.

David Summers III
Serengeti Fishing Charters
www.serengetifishingcharters.com
1-888-281-2275

A lot of Conservative Party membership cards are being ripped up today. They are counting on this all just fading away now. Are we going to let that happen?

There is nothing at all in the announcement other than the usual stall tactics they have been utilizing for years in defense of the Welfare for Millionaires Slipper Skipper Program. I am amazed by the contempt for the voters and recreational anglers in BC and all of Canada for that matter. This is just plain bad public policy which does not take into account the economic value that recreational anglers contribute to the economy as compared to the wasteful overutilization of halibut by the commercial sector. The Conservatives sell themselves as being the best choice for managing the economy and yet they are willing to ignore BC’s economic interests and our recreational fishery heritage to keep their wealthy fat cat buddies in the gravy. It would appear they are just fine with most of BC’s commercial caught halibut being shipped out of Canada for pennies on the dollar compared to what it would bring to the economy in the recreational fishery. They proclaim themselves as a party of astute business types with a firm grasp of economics and development, however the evidence suggests otherwise. Ultimately this is not just about bad public policy; it is about the right to take our children fishing and fairly have access to a common resource; it is about justice, equity and holding our politicians accountable.

Last edited by a moderator:
YEP here it is the guide who has a client MAYBE willing to pay for a fish that rightfully belongs to all sportfisherman...
Here is the scenerio

someone comes to the coast to fish on Aug 17 to the 18th and this doesnt matter one bit now if its is with a charter or with friends as SHE has drawn the line now..... but ill use a guided trip for arguements sake.....

Client :bouncing around happy as hes finally going to go fishing after waiting all year to catch his 2 halibut....

Guide: welcome to bc my friend unfortunatlly 2 days ago they closed halibut on aug 15th!!!!! im really sorry....

Client; (not bouncing any more) WTF who made this decision???

Guide: that would be the federal fisheries sir..again Sorry.......

Client: You mean to tell me ive spent $1000 of bucks to come here to fish and I dont get to take any halibut home???? thats just wrong!!!!!!!!!

Guide: OH but sir there is a way hold on I have to make a call (guide on phone now) yep yes ok cant you go lower market is only 3 bucks a lb...
ok sir for the $$$$$$ of 8 bucks a lb you can keep a halibut... so if we go get a 50 lb halibut that will cost you on top of my fee 450 bucks to be paid
to jimmy paterson. AGAIN IM REALLY SORRY.......

Client : (mad now) Well ill have to think about that sorry mr guide but im not happy and i want a reduction in my fee if I cant keep a halibut....

CAN YOU IMAGINE IT WILL ONLY GO DOWNHILL FROM THERE THIS IS GOING TO GET WORSE AND WORSE ,AND ILL BET THAT GUY WILL NEVER COME BACK AGAIN. And can you imagine if you were out there as a rec fisherman and someone is allowed to fish and keep halibut and your not allowed to f#$k me what a cluster f#$k thats going to be one mess after a mess and another mess fights at the dock OMG nasty stuff will happen....

THIS MESS AND GAIL SHEA OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF WHAT YOU HAVE DONE WHAT A STUPID *****........

NOW WE ARE GOING TO REALLY VAMP THINGS UP BOYS WE GOT AN EVEN BIGGER FIGHT NOW

WOLF

Love this line:

Amazingly, while DFO claims that the commercial fishery is accountable, DFO staff now
acknowledge that they do not know who actually owns the 436 commercial quotas that
control 88% of Canada’s halibut TAC.

While I understand you are pissed Holmes, I'd suggest there are other options still open to us rather than acting illegally. Stay tuned, I am certain there will some actions to join in on shortly...

That said a well organized & publicized Protest Fishery sounds like a good route to me at this point...

Cheers,
Nog

I used to vote for the PC no more.... John Horton in Vic is the only one of heard supporting our side please NDP let him lead the way!! As the next Premier he would be the Man known him for years and hes for the people!! Genuine. Im suprised to hear Sportfisherman on here think Guides can afford to buy fn quota what a goddamn joke.GLG you wont have to worry about finding a guide that doesnt have any quota. Id be suprised to see if any of the Big Lodges can even buy quota with these economic times. This decision sucks whats the next big fn decision March 2nd Halibut season closed. The rich keep getting richer. Have a good yr slipper skippers!!!!

Letter to MP James Lunney, Shea and Harper cc'd:

"Dear Mr. Lunney,

First I would like to personally thank you for fine performance as our local MP, and your recent outspoken involvement in the halibut allocation issue. Your words were certainly well appreciated, and I only wish that more of your colleagues could perceive the significant importance of this matter to BC's economy.

Unfortunately Minister Shea today produced a statement on this very issue that completely ignores the voting public, directly furthers the Department's assertion that this resource largely "belongs" in the hands of a very select few (a direct contravention of a previous related Supreme Court decision and very unlikely to withstand the test of Law) and furthers that privatization by the creation of yet another "commercial" sector.

In a query to all Conservative MP's early this spring, Prime Minister Harper noted he was actively seeking input as to mechanisms to increase economic activity nation-wide. At that time I applauded his efforts, firmly believing his intentions in this regard were sound. However today's announcement flies directly in the face of that. There are literally thousands of people in BC whose jobs rely both directly and indirectly to the recreational fishing sector's activities. The direct and spin-off benefits are immense. However this has obviously been ignored in favor of a select few who provide very little in the way of economic input in comparison. Thus I find PM Harper's words more than misleading, something I consider a very serious matter.

I understand that there are those in your Cabinet that believe this matter will now simply go away. Rest assured, it will not. In fact the opposite is likely true given that the desires of the voting public have been so gravenly ignored. The groundswell of support this matter created amongst the "Common Man" is not localized to British Columbia, and in fact is wide-spread right across our entire Nation. Few things get the voting public as disappointed as having their wishes and desires blatantly ignored in favor of making a select wealthy few even wealthier. I firmly believe you are about to witness the manifestation of that disappointment into action.

I have always been a long-term supporter of the Conservatives, both at the voting booth, in donations, and active discussions with my peers. Therefore it is with a heavy heart that I now find myself writing you to inform you of my decision to withdraw any and all such support for the Conservative Party. I very much feel for yourself being caught up in this mess, however it is very much a mess created by your own government, and alas you - as their representative - must pay the price.

Unless something very dramatic occurs in the next short while, I will find myself actively and openly campaigning alongside the thousands of like-minded anglers, who rightfully feel they have been seriously let down, AGAINST your Party's continued governance.

I am cc'ing this letter to the DFO Minister who made such an improper (and very likely Illegal) ruling as well as PM Harper. The message from here is clear: You have well overstepped your bounds in turning a Common Property Resource into a Privately Traded Commodity, in directly ignoring the desires of the voting public, and in creating undue stress on BC's struggling economy. In doing so your government has raised the ire of a Sleeping Giant. Unfortunate that you, and those amongst your colleagues that feel as you have indicated, must suffer for the wrongful decisions of another. But alas, I see no other recourse at this juncture.

I would be pleasantly surprised to receive a realistic response from yourself, and those this message has been cc'd to. This is a very significant turning point for me and many Canadians. I would however request that the cc'd parties please refrain from the platitude of yet another mass produced, say nothing response.

Regretfully,
J. Matt Stabler"

letter to mp james lunney, shea and harper cc'd:

"dear mr. Lunney,

first i would like to personally thank you for fine performance as our local mp, and your recent outspoken involvement in the halibut allocation issue. Your words were certainly well appreciated, and i only wish that more of your colleagues could perceive the significant importance of this matter to bc's economy.

Unfortunately minister shea today produced a statement on this very issue that completely ignores the voting public, directly furthers the department's assertion that this resource largely "belongs" in the hands of a very select few (a direct contravention of a previous related supreme court decision and very unlikely to withstand the test of law) and furthers that privatization by the creation of yet another "commercial" sector.

In a query to all conservative mp's early this spring, prime minister harper noted he was actively seeking input as to mechanisms to increase economic activity nation-wide. At that time i applauded his efforts, firmly believing his intentions in this regard were sound. However today's announcement flies directly in the face of that. There are literally thousands of people in bc whose jobs rely both directly and indirectly to the recreational fishing sector's activities. The direct and spin-off benefits are immense. However this has obviously been ignored in favor of a select few who provide very little in the way of economic input in comparison. Thus i find pm harper's words more than misleading, something i consider a very serious matter.

I understand that there are those in your cabinet that believe this matter will now simply go away. Rest assured, it will not. In fact the opposite is likely true given that the desires of the voting public have been so gravenly ignored. The groundswell of support this matter created amongst the "common man" is not localized to british columbia, and in fact is wide-spread right across our entire nation. Few things get the voting public as disappointed as having their wishes and desires blatantly ignored in favor of making a select wealthy few even wealthier. I firmly believe you are about to witness the manifestation of that disappointment into action.

I have always been a long-term supporter of the conservatives, both at the voting booth, in donations, and active discussions with my peers. Therefore it is with a heavy heart that i now find myself writing you to inform you of my decision to withdraw any and all such support for the conservative party. I very much feel for yourself being caught up in this mess, however it is very much a mess created by your own government, and alas you - as their representative - must pay the price.

Unless something very dramatic occurs in the next short while, i will find myself actively and openly campaigning alongside the thousands of like-minded anglers, who rightfully feel they have been seriously let down, against your party's continued governance.

I am cc'ing this letter to the dfo minister who made such an improper (and very likely illegal) ruling as well as pm harper. The message from here is clear: You have well overstepped your bounds in turning a common property resource into a privately traded commodity, in directly ignoring the desires of the voting public, and in creating undue stress on bc's struggling economy. In doing so your government has raised the ire of a sleeping giant. Unfortunate that you, and those amongst your colleagues that feel as you have indicated, must suffer for the wrongful decisions of another. But alas, i see no other recourse at this juncture.

I would be pleasantly surprised to receive a realistic response from yourself, and those this message has been cc'd to. This is a very significant turning point for me and many canadians. I would however request that the cc'd parties please refrain from the platitude of yet another mass produced, say nothing response.

Regretfully,
j. Matt stabler"

here here! Great email

Has anyone thought about contacting the CBC The National? They have a feature block on TV every other night or so called Go Public. People present some unreal stuff - unfair treated by RCMP, companies, hospitals, governments etc ... Gets prime time TV and it seems that whatever they featured there got top attention by officials... Worth a try?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that Minister Shea is married to a commercial fisherman. If this is true - he may be a slipper skipper or a wanna be slipper skipper. If this is accurate info then there's a very good reason she'll not change her mind. This would make perfect sense - a comiservative married to a comislipperskipper - (new words for for the book).

Stosh

Take a close look at the east coast and lobster fishing fellas, this is a model of what can happen on the west coast. Yes, she is family with commercial fishermen, so you can see which way she leans.

Another boat/town run with a call for a certain minister to resign?

Back