De mamiel creek (Bill James) Dam being demolished

We need a tonne of those and Coho bomb Sooke :D

I am hoping with all the things ( extreme drought) going on right now the decision will be reversed. this is the driest fall I can rememebr...Something weird is going in with our weather.
I looked back a few weeks ago - must have got lucky in my search as I didn't check much, but 1987 way WAY drier than this year so far so this isn't a sudden crazy weather phenomenon. Interesting enough though, while going through many generations and may be more of a generalization, 2011 would be the equivalent broodstock from that drought and it was apparently a pretty light year for returns.

This is my final report on the Bill James Dam. As of last week DFO contracted out the removal to a Nanaimo contractor and the dam has been removed.
Thanks DFO I now have lost all respect for you in any of your decision making. It's time for a new Goverment that listen to the voters of this country known as Canada.

This is my final report on the Bill James Dam. As of last week DFO contracted out the removal to a Nanaimo contractor and the dam has been removed.
Thanks DFO I now have lost all respect for you in any of your decision making. It's time for a new Goverment that listen to the voters of this country known as Canada.

Tragedy! But we tried and we did not quietly acquiesce. One day perhaps the Cohen Commission recommendations will be implemented and the "Department of Salmon Feed lot Promotion" will be split into a real department of wild salmon and the foolish industry promotion bit can be dumped elsewhere.

tiger, take lots of photos of them removing the dam and then in the summer how coho fry gets trapped and stranded. Will use this as evidence for media campaigns and legal action.

Truly a sad day.

Once again, rather than provide true leadership, they do this. This decision was nothing more than vandalism and an outright assault on Pacific Salmon. Time to demand they put a little of that two billion dollar annual budget into the FISHERIES part of ‘Fisheries and Oceans’, and no Mr. Harper and Mr. Ashfield that does not mean throwing even more tax dollars at the shameless promotion of Open Net Pen Alien Atlantic Salmon Fish Farms and pushing through privatized quota fish ownership schemes to promote the financial interests of the wealthy and politically connected.

They have been cutting back on the funding for Pacific Salmon restoration and enhancement for decades now. Our Pacific salmon, coastal community economies and all British Columbians deserve better.

This is not just about money, it is far more important than that.

Time for all anglers to get more politically active. Remember De Mamiel Creek and what they have done to the legacy of a British Columbian hero like Bill James. With the loss of the summer water flow will volunteers once again be trying to rescue dying Coho from hot drying out pools in the upper Creek and transporting them down stream to try and save a few.

I won’t be surprised if the Media gives them a free pass on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back