De mamiel creek (Bill James) Dam being demolished

Englishman

From Sooke fishing thread......

I got a letter from DFO confirming they were going to demolish this dam soon about 10 days ago. I got the letter probably because I wrote to them and cced a lot of local politiciians.

Here is my response, which also went to the same politicians I cced last time.

Dear Mr. Lapcevic,

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to reply to my e-mail of concern about the proposed de-commissioning of the Bill James Dam.

Unfortunately your attached letter raises more questions than it purports to answer. I am particularly puzzled by the somewhat vague and imprecise statement “DFO have confirmed that the Bill James Dam Reservoir is not adequate to fulfill its intended purpose of storing sufficient Water to augment the water flows in De Mamiel Creek”.

What does “not adequate” mean? Presumably the dam does augment the flow by some non-zero amount. If so, how much flow will be lost by decommissioning? In low flows, every small incremental amount WILL make a difference. So how many juvenile fish will be lost which would have otherwise survived in spite of the “inadequacy”?

If the dam was/is “not adequate” when it was built, why was it originally approved and why did DFO apply for and hold water licenses C0064007 and C114928? Were the official parties approving the dam not competent at the time? Was the dam “adequate” then but “not adequate” now? What can possibly have changed?

In truth, your last sentence reveals the real reason this dam is being removed. “ Please note that under Section 4(1) of the Water Act of BC Dam Safety regulations, DFO has received approval to decommission Bill James Dam”. The dam has fallen victim to a paranoid and misguided bureaucratic decision that there is somehow a safety concern with this dam.

It is a tragedy for our fish resources, and for all the people who worked had to create approve and build this dam, that ironically probably included DFO staff, that this work should now be undone by administrative bureaucracy and the liability obsessed lawyers.

If the dam is “not adequate” to augment the stream flows in Demamiel Creek it must certainly be “not adequate” to present any measurable risk to life or property, situated as it is in a heavily wooded area 11 kilometres from it’s confluence with the Sooke river. In addition, there is a gentle incline from the exit at the dam to Young Lake which also moderates the flows, before it reaches any developed area of Sooke.

As many people have noted, including the daughter of the person after whom this dam is named,

http://www2.canada.com/victoriatime....html?id=8d1f99e4-e3a2-4894-9a87-aa1b1a6092d6

this is a short sighted and stupid move that can only have emanated from an organisation that has lost sight of its mandate and works perversely against it. Instead of working to save and rejuvenate the legacy and investment, and hard work of many who have gone before, DFO can only destroy it.

It is utterly stupefying and very, very sad.

Englishman (actual name supplied).

I copied this over from my post on the Sooke Thread.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/removal+could+salmon+critics/7258232/story.html

The irony is that we finally had a fair supply of Coho in the strait as a result of this and other enhancement efforts and now DFO is deliberately going to destroy this Coho run. Enjoy them now, they may not be around long with decisions like this.

Every sport and commercial fisher and every citizen of BC should be outraged.

Mr. Dan Bate certainly puts the Petty in Petty Bureaucrat doesn’t he. It’s OK according to him because the Dam has already been “decommissioned”. That’s bureaucrat speak for DFO sent some some guys out to vandalize the valve so that the dam could not hold water. Repair the valve on the Bill James Dam Mr. Bate.

It’s also all OK to Mr. Bate because they think that there will be sufficient water for the Coho anyway. Essentially this genius wants us to believe the Dam was never needed in the first place. What a convenient conclusion since Budgets have been cut and DFO has been ordered to spend less on Pacific Salmon.

This dam was put in precisely because the changes mans activities caused in this watershed prevented it from holding sufficient water to keep the Coho alive during the hot summer months. I understand before this dam was built, volunteers ran around with buckets and little nets trying to save a few of the young Coho to release downstream. This was to save them from cooking in small shallow pools as the creek dried up.

We may not be able to fire Mr. Bate, but as an interest group we have more than sufficient votes to make a difference in a number of MP ridings come the next Federal election in only a few short years, especially those who slipped in with small margins of victory, (right Mr. Duncan). Time to start making some phone calls to the politicians and remind them we will be voting issues like this one and others important to sport fishing and BC salmon and trout.

What a lost PR opportunity not saving these Coho is for the Harper Government. They want us to believe they can be trusted to look out for the welfare of hundreds of creeks, rivers and streams and the fish they contain if we let them run pipelines across BC and tankers down our inlets.

If this Dam is destroyed the Harper Government will prove they can’t be trusted to protect even one creek and its Coho. This would cost very little and would buy a lot of goodwill. Instead they will spend millions on PR campaigns to sell their pipeline agenda and trying to get re-elected. For things like that they seem to have lots of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Sooke fishing thread......

Unfortunately your attached letter raises more questions than it purports to answer. I am particularly puzzled by the somewhat vague and imprecise statement “DFO have confirmed that the Bill James Dam Reservoir is not adequate to fulfill its intended purpose of storing sufficient Water to augment the water flows in De Mamiel Creek”.

What does “not adequate” mean? Presumably the dam does augment the flow by some non-zero amount. If so, how much flow will be lost by decommissioning? In low flows, every small incremental amount WILL make a difference. So how many juvenile fish will be lost which would have otherwise survived in spite of the “inadequacy”?

Englishman (actual name supplied).[/I]

I think any reasoned person can see through DFO's very thin self serving rationalization. But lets take this BS at face value for a second. If the DAM does not hold sufficent water to provide the optimal benifit, the solution is self evident; make the Dam larger to save even more Coho. Removing the Dam will kill most of them

English, it's actually Mrs. Pat Lapcevic. Even more stunning and for DFO embarrasing is that when they received the new water licence for the upgraded dam about 10-12 years ago the dam safety people noted the ill-designed outlet valve and stipulated right into the licence conditions that the valve needs to be moved and upgraded. DFO, as a federal agency, ignored and disobeyed this order for more than 10 years! Now it's their convenient excuse to abandon. DFO and the Dam Safety Office look absolutely ridiculous and incompetent in this case.

Cbc radio

I will be interviewed by CBC radio at 6:50am, wednesday Sept 19 about the DeManiel Creek dam and the fight with DFO. Stay tuned .

I will be interviewed by CBC radio at 6:50am, wednesday Sept 19 about the DeManiel Creek dam and the fight with DFO. Stay tuned .

Do you think it will help?

Pls Give a smear for me.. ;)

JUST proves this DFO is a complete joke even more I bet you my left nut the minister has never even been to this creek or in sooke .
Its weird how they go to such GREAT extreams to "protect" the fraser run so the indians have there fish but hurt everyone else (38% indian 6.9 rec fisherman) and NOW they want to wipe out a run that is coming back after 20 years of very hard work especially the people of sooke got to scratch your head on that one basically there saying *** you we dont want to manage the fishery or any aspect of it and *** you sooke people. they are so misinformed it makes me sick and ill never help them ever again with anything.
I spit at your feet.so i say back at you *** you too......

I feel DFO's mandate is to remove any fish success stories done by volunteers. It is just a matter of time and DFO will be out of the Salmon enhancement bussiness. The next thing on there hit list is closing down there hatchery operation.
If we don't act now the end will be near!!!!!!!:(

What can be done about these blantant efforts to kill wild fish that is if there are many truly wild fish left. Maybe we should get thouands of fisherman and friends together and form a human barrier when the bulldozer comes next spring and have the media on hand to show off DFO and its work. I will show up from Parksville but I wonder how many more will make the effort Remember DFO works for the people and if we truly want to stop this and other related issues then we better stop bitching and do something that will really threaten the jobs of those in power.

All the more reason we need a local group that is focused, effective on lobbying to those in power to protect fish, their habitat and the right to fish. Stay tuned more info on this group coming in the next few months!

Getting pretty tired of our governments "thanks for your input"... " but we are doing it anyways" attitude.
Democracy?

Tips

There is something all of you could and should do: there is a provincial election coming up soon and all the MLAs are starting their vote hunt again soon. Go and talk to your MLA and other MLAs or at least send them a mail that you would expect them to take a stand on this and other fishery issues and warn them that you will make your vote dependant on his/her efforts in this regard. This is a perfect opportunity to get them to play their game for us once. We missed that big opportunity during the last federal election when everyone was just concerned about the economy and such. As a result we got Harper & Co and look how good they are to fish and environment. Don't make this mistake again on the provincial level. Making the politicians feel that environment and fish are a top issue here for us on the coast can be of tremendous benefit for our cause and may put the blocks on some federal driven disaster projects like Enbridge or fish farms. But it takes your efforts.

Totally agree Chris and WitW are you going to organize something soon? This would be prefect timing like Chris says then if we did a lobby on any of issues we have right now it might bring in more people to contact MLAs and get them to start fighting for our votes. Even tho we know how great politicians are at keeping election promises. Getting fisherpeople who dont arnt on the internet on board.
It was nice to see there was some mlas on board to try and stop the creek decommission. We should have been throwing coho heads on the dfo and leg lawn. I wish I was organized enough to start a lobby group but I know a few others mention they would. I would love to see this happen.

Here is what I sent earlier:

Dear Ida Chong;

I am not sure if you are familiar with this issue but would ask you to get involved and take a stand as my representative in the legislature. http://www.timescolonist.com/news/removal+could+salmon+critics/7258232/story.html

Salmon are of utmost importance to our coastal ecosystems and while the federal DFO is more and more abandoning their duty to protect and properly care for our fisheries resources due to budget cuts, volunteer efforts from our local communities have kept many salmon stocks alive. Here is an example where federal (DFO) AND provincial (MFLNRO) jurisdictions trample upon the hard earned achievements by community volunteer efforts and this must be stopped. I am asking you: what will you do to intervene in this particular issue and secondly I want to state that my vote in the upcoming provincial election will only go to a candidate who has the environment and fisheries issues very high on his/her agenda. Fisheries resources provide immense economical benefits to our coastal communities through the sportfishing industry and the many industries directly linked to sportfishing such as tourism. Of course there is also the commercial fishery which still provides jobs in various coastal communities. It is time that our provincial politicians realize what is at stake here and take a stand for BC.

Look forward to hearing your response.

Sincerely,

Good job on the letter Chris. The problem is DFO has its own agenda and does not listen to what local people say. All we have is back bencher here on the coast and they have no say in goverment policies. This goverment sucks when it comes to fish issues. Even the BC goverment does not care. I sent letters the fresh water fish society in reguard to the trout and steelhead population in DeMamiel Creek and no responce. This does not suprise me as they will not let Sooke enhance Steelhead any more. Maybe the SFAB should get involved. LOL
I just don't know:(

Good job on the letter Chris. The problem is DFO has its own agenda and does not listen to what local people say. All we have is back bencher here on the coast and they have no say in goverment policies. This goverment sucks when it comes to fish issues. Even the BC goverment does not care. I sent letters the fresh water fish society in reguard to the trout and steelhead population in DeMamiel Creek and no responce. This does not suprise me as they will not let Sooke enhance Steelhead any more. Maybe the SFAB should get involved. LOL
I just don't know:(

Fresh water issue are dealt thru the FFRAC process......

Back