Date and time of campbell river meeting

fishingbc

Town Hall Meeting January 19th
7:00 PM Maritime Heritage Centre
621 North Island Highway, Campbell River

A totally inadequate, biased allocation system of Canada’s halibut will create a short season disaster for all of us. Hear the facts, and find out what you can do about it. Halibut is the concern now, but other species are scheduled for the same treatment by DFO….we need to send an immediate message that this is unacceptable.

Guest speakers will outline the issue, a panel representing several segments of the public fishery will give their perspectives and there will be an open mike session where you can ask questions and offer your comments and suggestions.

Come and bring a friend, this may be the most important contribution you make to future fishing for all of us.

Cheers,

Could you please provide specific directions to this venue for us 'uninformed' who are driving in
for this meeting and will be searching literally in the dark for the correct location.

I thank you in advance.

http://www.canada.com/Town+hall+meeting+over+halibut+quota/4072761/story.html

Town hall meeting over halibut quota

Courier-Islander January 7, 2011 12:00 AM

The halibut war is about to start heating up.

A special town hall meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday Jan. 19 at the Maritime Heritage Centre in Campbell River to discuss the Fisheries and Ocean's halibut allocation system.

That system resulted in an early closure of the halibut sport fishing season in 2010 and by all accounts could lead to a shortened season or reduced bag limits or both for the 2011 season.

The recreational fishing industry on B.C.'s coast stands to lose millions of dollars if the limits on halibut quotas are reduced and the 2011 season is shortened, some of the province's anglers say.

This year's sport-fishing season for halibut could end as early as mid-July, according to speculation from members of the mid-Island branch of the B.C. Coalition of Salt Water Anglers

Halibut fishing is governed by a quota system with 88 per cent of all the halibut allocated to the commercial fishery. The remaining 12 per cent is for the sport fishery.
But since the sport fishery was allowed by DFO to go over its 12 per cent last year, indications are that that overage will be clawed back in 2011. Which is the reason for fears of a shortened season and or reduced bag limits.

The meeting is being organized by various sport fishing interests including individual anglers, guides and resorts.

Guest speakers will outline the issue, a panel representing several segments of the public fishery will give their perspectives and there will be an open mike session for questions, comments and suggestions.

If it closes early this season it would be the third time in recent years that the recreational fishing opportunity will close early.

Owners of charter fishing companies say another shortened season will have a significant impact on the province's $650-million tidal sport-fishing industry.

"We were told that sport fishermen would never lose a day of fishing," said Gerry Rupp, owner of Invictus Charters. "We've already had two seasons end early, with a third on its way. This latest agreement is not working and it's only getting worse."

Halibut is one of the most sought after fish on the west coast. Fears of a shortened season include individual anglers not being allowed to catch and keep halibut for the family dinner table, even though there is an abundance. And sport fishing tourism opportunities would be impacted, meaning economic declines in many rural BC coastal communities.

One of the other concerns around the Fisheries and Oceans quota system is the possibility that the same system will be rolled out for other species like salmon, prawns and crabs, say the organizers in their press release.

In essence, they say, the government has taken a common property resource and allocated that to private enterprise, an enterprise whose rights apparently supersede that of the average Canadian. A mid-July closing would hit during the height of fishing season and could harm many businesses, Rupp said.

With no word yet from DFO, business owners are turning clients away - they cannot book summer tours if the season closes early.

"This will impact a lot of people," said Paul Rickard, of the B.C. Wildlife Federation. "Guides need to advertise and book people ahead of time."

Nanaimo-Alberni Conservative MP James Lunney said he has submitted some "very strong" recommendations to Fisheries Minister Gail Shea and will look into the matter more next week.

with files from Postmedia News
© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Campbell River Meeting.jpg

Map for Campbell River Meeting

50° 1'11.84"N
125°14'13.09"W

pencil.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Jim,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE MAP! That is about as good as it gets short of driving me there! I will be there - without getting lost! :)

May I ask one more question...how do you make those maps? I would like to do the same for my web site. Any info or direction on how to accomplish would be appreciated.

With thanks...

Fishing Guide: Thanks. They are fairly easy to make.

I used GoogleEarth to find the location and then switched to GoogleMaps. Did a screen capture and pasted into PhotoShop. Cropped the image down to just the map, then added a number of layers and put in the info and arrows pointing out important locations on the map.

In this case, the Campbell River Fishing Pier and Tyee Marine should be the obvious landmarks.

GoogleEarth also gives me the lat & long, but I had already made the map, so I just put it into the text of the post, but I could have easily added it to the photo/map if I had thought of it earlier.

If you like, I could make a map for you for a small fee. Just let me know the details of what you need.

Cheers Jim,

Thank you for the offer and, when I find a free minute I will give it a chance. If I have problems I will give you a shout. Currently updating logo, web site, rack cards, business cards, detailing boat, halibut meetings...good thing it's the off season or I would get no sleep!

Again...Thank YOU very much for the map. I hope to see you there.

Back